Overnight along Great Ocean Road - Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overnight along Great Ocean Road - Advice needed

Hi everyone, I am planning a drive to Great Ocean Road from Melbourne and would like to stay a night somewhere before driving back. Did some research and it seems that Apollo Bay, Port Campell and Port Fairy are all suitable places. I know that a one-day turnaround trip is do-able (did that once myself back in 90s) but this time would prefer to do the drive in a leisure pace and will like to take lots of pictures along the way. Current plan is to leave Melbourne early, says 8am, spend a night somewhere (with my girlfriend), then drive back in the late morning the next day.

Any advices?

Many thanks in advance !
    When the going gets tough, the tough go travelling ...

That is definitely a doable plan. All the stop-off points you mentioned are very good locations.

There's a wide variety of things to see along the way, and your ultimate route will depend on what kind of activities you're after (and your budget) - ie whether you want to be on the beach, or go on walks in the parklands and admire waterfalls. For instance you could hire a helicopter to look at the 12 Apostles, or check out glow worms. Or even vineyards if you're into wine.

Equally diverse is the array of accomodation along the way. From caravan parks, to romantic beachfront villas.

This website might be of help:
    http://www.greatoceanroad.com/

Have fun!
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Don't forget the option of Torquay.

Comment

This is definitely on my To-Do List.

Would be great if we could compile a list of recommended "SQTalker Standard" accommodation and restaurants here.

Perhaps our resident W-loving Melburnian could kick us off??

Comment

I'll jump in - at Apollo Bay, there's a great little campsite where I once pitched a tent. Hot showers, nice chilly weather outside, electricity + wireless all provided. And the views are STUNNING. Just above the campsite (it's a stone's throw away) you can walk and have a nice meal and drinks at one of the many restaurants there. There's even a little wee river flowing through the campsite.

I can proudly say (whilst still being family-friendly) that it was at Apollo Bay that Kyo more or less became Kyo+1 as a result

The sunset over the sheltered Apollo Bay waterfront is something that will remain etched in my memory forever! Be warned - it is a very far drive from Melbourne and will take you most of the day, including two toilet breaks. And we were making very good time as well!

I would definitely suggest trying the camping thing. Oh, and the best bit - the price... rock bottom. I think for two couples we paid $16. You can even keep the tent as a souvenir! (or use the money saved to buy a better tent, hehe) No need to spend a bomb and a far more memorable experience!

(yes, it can be a romantic place if you want it to be... or if you're into great scenery - the following morning, drive another 20 minutes to the Bay of Islands and the Blowhole... one of the best views EVER. More spectacular than the 12 (now 7 or 8) Apostles, in my opinion)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
            there's a great little campsite where I once pitched a tent.
            Appreciate it Kyo+1...

But I was thinking more on the lines of high-end independent inns rather than campsite...

Comment

Well, I guess it depends on what your goals are for the evening.

Comment

kyo+ is such a 'lol'mantic. kyo+1 is such a lucky girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Don't forget the option of Torquay.
                  Bell's Beach. A top flight surf break and a genuine classic, right up there with Hossegor/Biarritz as one of my faves.

Comment

Great idea there Kyo ! Camping definitely sounds good and yeah, very romantic ! My only concern is that I will be going there in 2 weeks time and the weather could be too cold to stay in a tent. Will further research on this.

I will also check out Torquay on the way ... gettting very excited now!

Will post some pics here after the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyerfly View Post
                      Great idea there Kyo ! Camping definitely sounds good and yeah, very romantic ! My only concern is that I will be going there in 2 weeks time and the weather could be too cold to stay in a tent. Will further research on this.

I will also check out Torquay on the way ... gettting very excited now!

Will post some pics here after the trip.
                      If you're checking out Torquay, do also swing by Anglesea.

A warmer alternative to camping would be caravan parks. They're lots of fun!
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Actually the camping ground I've referred to is also suitable for folks travelling in campervans/towing a caravan... (the actual towing of a caravan all the way along the Great Ocean Road all that distance may not be too fun, however).

Another suggestions is, after Apollo Bay and the Bay of Islands, go north to the Grampians.. lovely countryside, it just goes on forever...

On an open stretch of very straight road to the Grampians, however, you'll be tempted to floor that accelerator!

Comment

Thanks for all the tips ... Checked with missy but she is not up for camping and wanted a simple cottage near the beach. Think i will comply this time ... Current plan is to depart Melbourne very early on the day, drive all the way (with stops at various places, such as Geelong, Torquay, Apollo Bay etc.) and turnaround after reaching 12 Apolsters to spend a night at Apollo Bay. A lot of driving for a day, but I love driving so should be fine. Will also try my best to keep to the speed limit (renting a Ford Falcon XR6) as I heard there are many speed camera along the way. Wouldn't fancy a speeding ticket as sourvenir!

Have found some very good hotel deals in Sydney and Melbourne. Booked Westin Sydney for A$189 per night all inclusive for 3 nights. In Melbourne, will stay at Hilton Melbourne South Whalf for 2 nights (booked under Hilton's fabulous 2-For-1 deal for an executive room at A$187.50 per night all inclusive with breakfast ) before hitting the GOR. Upon returning to Melbourne, will put up a night with Intercontinental Melbourne The Realto (free redemption).

I hope to post a trip report here if you guys are interested ... the least I could do to thank you for all the good tips and comments !

Comment

Will also try my best to keep to the speed limit (renting a Ford Falcon XR6)
                            I once got upgraded from a regular Falcon to the XR6...Yes, its hard to keep is at sane speeds

I hope to post a trip report here if you guys are interested
                            Yes we are.

Comment

Torquay, Anglesea, etc are all at the Melbourne end of GOR. I'd prefer to stay somewhere further along.

Comment

Working...
                              X