Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 hour layover at SIN, back to hotel? + Qs about SIN

Hello everyone,

In a little over three weeks, I'll be flying SIN-KUL-SIN-SYD-LAX (don't ask ). I'm only bringing my carry-on so need to worry about any bags I should check. Travelling in biz apart from the SIN-KUL leg.

My flight from KUL arrives SIN at 3:25PM. My flight onwards to SYD leaves at 8:35PM. Is this sufficient time to get back to my hotel, the Conrad? It is a 35-minute MRT ride from Changi. I have a late checkout till 6PM, so I might relax for 1,5hrs in my room/lounge. Any thoughts on this?

Secondly, some questions about Changi:
    - Any fast-track security available for arriving/departing passengers in biz?
    - How long would it take me to reach the MRT station after I clear immigration?
    - Will I get access to SQ's lounge travelling on MI with a SQ flight number?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you have enough time to do that. Bear in mind the MRT at peak periods, on weekdays from 5:30pm onwards will mean a slightly slower journey (and a packed one, if you're moving with luggage). I would recommend taking a taxi before 5pm (to avoid the exorbitant peak hour taxi surcharges) to the airport, however. Taxis from the airport are also not too unreasonable during the daytime - it is only a 20 minute ride after you clear immigration. The Conrad is very accessible.

Changi Questions
    - No
    - 10 minutes, from any immigration, max... unless coming from T1, then take a skytrain to T2 or T3 (+ 5 mins), then the walk down to the MRT station (+ 5 mins)
    - Yeah, you should... KUL-SIN on MI J, right?

(even SIN-KUL to begin... well, who are you travelling on? If MI Y, you should still be allowed in with KF EG status, otherwise I can't think of a scenario why you'd need to ask that question)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
      Yes, you have enough time to do that. Bear in mind the MRT at peak periods, on weekdays from 5:30pm onwards will mean a slightly slower journey (and a packed one, if you're moving with luggage). I would recommend taking a taxi before 5pm (to avoid the exorbitant peak hour taxi surcharges) to the airport, however. Taxis from the airport are also not too unreasonable during the daytime - it is only a 20 minute ride after you clear immigration. The Conrad is very accessible.
      Any idea of how long I would be able to spend time at my hotel?

Thanks. Would a taxi really be faster than the MRT? I always recommend people who want to travel from AMS to downtown Amsterdam to take the train - it's way faster than by taxi..

Changi Questions
      - No
      - 10 minutes, from any immigration, max... unless coming from T1, then take a skytrain to T2 or T3 (+ 5 mins), then the walk down to the MRT station (+ 5 mins)
      - Yeah, you should... KUL-SIN on MI J, right?
      Thanks.

Yes, KUL-SIN is on MI on J. I'm flying in from NRT on ANA, so this would mean terminal 2.

(even SIN-KUL to begin... well, who are you travelling on? If MI Y, you should still be allowed in with KF EG status, otherwise I can't think of a scenario why you'd need to ask that question)
      I'm actually travelling on MH in Y. No status there so no lounge access. Any idea how long before my flight I should be at Changi? My flight to KUL arrives at 9:50AM. I'm thinking of leaving the hotel at 7:30AM-ish and take the MRT to arrive at SIN at about 8-8:15?

Comment

1. If you take the MRT, and are experienced with it, it's a 5 mins walk downstairs to the MRT station, 35 minutes into town (45 mins if you miss the train at Changi + 3 mins if you miss the train at Tanah Merah), providing for reasonable connections. You then have to transit in Tanah Merah, two stops away from Changi on to the regular MRT into City Hall, and then from City Hall (with luggage) to Suntec/Marina Square, it's a 15 minute walk, and you have to know your way around to get from Suntec/Marina Square to the hotel. If you're not familiar, it may take you a good 10 minutes to figure out/ask around. With luggage, not a pleasant affair. To maximise time at the hotel, you're far, far better off taking a taxi.

2. You'd have an extra hour almost, by my estimates. Perhaps even more. The difference should be around $SGD 10-15 at the most over an MRT ticket.

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
        Yes, KUL-SIN is on MI on J. I'm flying in from NRT on ANA, so this would mean terminal 2.
        This bit confuses me - I'm not sure about how relevant that is because lounge access is only based on your departing BP. Not premium/status pax = no lounge. Therefore no lounge on MH in SIN. Assuming you come in NRT-SIN on NH then go on to KUL on MH. KUL-SIN was just a question to establish we were on the same page.

3. I recommend people to get in 90 minutes before departure at latest if they're not familiar. 60 mins latest if you're familar... and 45 mins if you're KeithMEL and like living on the edge! (Don't do this)

4. If you're leaving the hotel - consider taking a taxi (again) at 8:30AM (latest, latest 8:40AM - beware the morning mess around the Suntec 'ring' as the Conrad is right in the centre.), despite the price being slightly higher. Leaving town to the airport should not find you in any traffic jam situations (after the first 5-10 minutes). That'll give you a good 45 minutes more to freshen up and head for the airport. This time, the taxi will cost you around $20SGD. If you still prefer to take the MRT, fight the CityLink Mall walk over from the City Hall MRT, fight the MRT crowd to the train, board the train, transit at Tanah Merah, then go to T3 (am guessing SIN-SYD sector is on SQ), then leaving at 7:30 will be enough.

Frankly, Singapore is a reasonable enough place to take a taxi when the situation calls for it. To me, dragging luggage along calls for it. Even if it's a one-piece carry-on.

Comment

In a little over three weeks, I'll be flying SIN-KUL-SIN-SYD-LAX (don't ask ).
          Throwing away your last leg? Tsk tsk

Comment

1. If you take the MRT, and are experienced with it, it's a 5 mins walk downstairs to the MRT station, 35 minutes into town (45 mins if you miss the train at Changi + 3 mins if you miss the train at Tanah Merah), providing for reasonable connections. You then have to transit in Tanah Merah, two stops away from Changi on to the regular MRT into City Hall, and then from City Hall (with luggage) to Suntec/Marina Square, it's a 15 minute walk, and you have to know your way around to get from Suntec/Marina Square to the hotel. If you're not familiar, it may take you a good 10 minutes to figure out/ask around. With luggage, not a pleasant affair. To maximise time at the hotel, you're far, far better off taking a taxi.
            Thanks. I looked at the MRT map but the City Hall station is on the same line as Changi airport. This was the map I found, on which both City Hall and Changi are on the green, East West Line. Why should I transfer, if I may ask?

2. You'd have an extra hour almost, by my estimates. Perhaps even more. The difference should be around $SGD 10-15 at the most over an MRT ticket.
            Seems reasonable enough to get a taxi, then .

This bit confuses me - I'm not sure about how relevant that is because lounge access is only based on your departing BP. Not premium/status pax = no lounge. Therefore no lounge on MH in SIN. Assuming you come in NRT-SIN on NH then go on to KUL on MH. KUL-SIN was just a question to establish we were on the same page.
            Yeah, come to think of it, I'm not sure why I posted this , sorry. I'm flying in from Tokyo and staying in Singapore for three days. Just pointing out that I arrive at Terminal 2, so I can catch the MRT. You mentioned if I'd arrive at Terminal 1, I'd have to add 5 more minutes to my journey.

3. I recommend people to get in 90 minutes before departure at latest if they're not familiar. 60 mins latest if you're familar... and 45 mins if you're KeithMEL and like living on the edge! (Don't do this)
            Thanks. Just to be sure, I'll be at the airport about 100-120 minutes before departure.

4. If you're leaving the hotel - consider taking a taxi (again) at 8:30AM (latest, latest 8:40AM - beware the morning mess around the Suntec 'ring' as the Conrad is right in the centre.), despite the price being slightly higher. Leaving town to the airport should not find you in any traffic jam situations (after the first 5-10 minutes). That'll give you a good 45 minutes more to freshen up and head for the airport. This time, the taxi will cost you around $20SGD. If you still prefer to take the MRT, fight the CityLink Mall walk over from the City Hall MRT, fight the MRT crowd to the train, board the train, transit at Tanah Merah, then go to T3 (am guessing SIN-SYD sector is on SQ), then leaving at 7:30 will be enough.

Frankly, Singapore is a reasonable enough place to take a taxi when the situation calls for it. To me, dragging luggage along calls for it. Even if it's a one-piece carry-on.
            Again, why would I have to transfer (see above), if I may ask?

Thanks kyo, your help is much appreciated.

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
            Throwing away your last leg? Tsk tsk
            If you mean the leg LAX-YVR/YYZ, you're right.. Familiar with the fare?

Comment

SIN-KUL-SIN-SYD-LAX (don't ask ).
              77L across the pacific on a certain scary team carrier

Hmm I wonder if it is alpha, bravo, charlie carrier or something else after that

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
                77L across the pacific on a certain scary team carrier

Hmm I wonder if it is alpha, bravo, charlie carrier or something else after that
                . 77L shouldn't be too bad - pretty good, actually. I've read some reports that the bed is actually quite comfortable. Besides, they use the NZ lounge at SYD which is great .

Comment

Thanks. I looked at the MRT map but the City Hall station is on the same line as Changi airport. This was the map I found, on which both City Hall and Changi are on the green, East West Line. Why should I transfer, if I may ask?
                  The Changi - Tanah Merah bit, whilst coloured green, doesn't show clearly that it's a separate 'express track' to the airport. Think of Tanah Merah to Changi as the 'real' Airport Express... the bit from Pasir Ris to Joo Koon is the main line. Hence, you need to transfer, or be stuck going back and forth between Changi and Tanah Merah.

Enjoy Scaryteam

Comment

The Changi - Tanah Merah bit, whilst coloured green, doesn't show clearly that it's a separate 'express track' to the airport. Think of Tanah Merah to Changi as the 'real' Airport Express... the bit from Pasir Ris to Joo Koon is the main line. Hence, you need to transfer, or be stuck going back and forth between Changi and Tanah Merah.

Enjoy Scaryteam
                    Ah, I get it know. I used a public transport planner which told me I did not have to connect, that's why I was confused.

Thanks, Kyo!

Comment

FlyingDan,

Would strongly advise just grabbing a taxi, it's fairly cheap (aside from the peak hour surcharge introduced not too long ago)....
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I agree with what most other replies recommend, ie NOT the MRT. The walk from Conrad to the MRT station is not worth it, what with luggage.

There used to be an aircon express bus #36 from the Suntec area to the airport via the East Coast Parkway expressway (see: http://www.transitlink.com.sg/php/eg...php?service=36). Am not sure if this service is still available - if it is, this would even sound more appealing to me than the MRT. The bus-stations in each of the terminals are well-integrated with the departure/arrival levels.

Comment

My flight from KUL arrives SIN at 3:25PM. My flight onwards to SYD leaves at 8:35PM. Is this sufficient time to get back to my hotel, the Conrad? It is a 35-minute MRT ride from Changi. I have a late checkout till 6PM, so I might relax for 1,5hrs in my room/lounge. Any thoughts on this?
                          If you are going to the Conrad forget the MRT, especially with any luggage. It's just not worth the hassle. I have stayed there dozens of times, including twice in the last week, and have never used the MRT to get from or to Changi. Taxi is the only way to go. It will take about 20 minutes and is cheap outside the peak surcharge times.

Comment

Working...
                          X