The Singapore Airlines - TWG Tea Drinker's Rating Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Singapore Airlines - TWG Tea Drinker's Rating Thread

I am no connoisseur of tea but I do enjoy my teas. Since SQ just introduced TWG teas for its premium classes, let's try to enjoy them onboard and rate them here. It would be interesting to see if our experience matches the description that SQ provides on its menu.
    Last edited by UMD; 11 July 2009, 08:21 AM.

Kwai Flower Oolong

Menu Description:
    A light and fruity tea naturally blended with the pollen of osmanthus flowers which yields a delicate taste of ripe peaches.

UMD's assessment:
    This is a good tea. It is indeed light with a sweet aftertaste of the flowers but not fruity - definitely no ripe peaches taste as claimed which is perfectly fine since this tea has such a good balance in taste. Like all Oolong, it would be a good tea to accompany starchy meals (too bad they don't serve Oolong at the Italian or Nasi Padang restaurants).

Would I drink it again? Definitely YES.

UMD's Ranking: 5 of 5
    Last edited by UMD; 25 July 2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Singapore Breakfast Tea

Menu Description:
      An exclusive TWG Tea blend of green tea, black tea, vanilla and spices that boasts a sweet lingering aftertaste.

UMD's Assessment:
      This tea has a good balance of spices but maybe a bit too heavy on the black tea mixture which results in a bitter aftertaste at first before the sweetness of the spices appears very subtly towards the end.

Would I drink it again? YES if they run out of Kwai Flower Oolong.

UMD's Ranking: 4 of 5
      Last edited by UMD; 25 July 2009, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Great suggestion for a thread, UMD. It would help simplify my decision the next time I step onboard SQ.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Alexandria Tea

Menu Description:
          A dreamy reminder of Arabian nights, this green tea is blended with Mediterranean mint and vanilla

UMD's Assessment:
          This is on par with the Kwai Flower Oolong and it is also lighter than the Oolong. The taste reminds me of Earl Grey but using green tea instead of red tea as the base. It is rightly balanced with mint and vanilla leaving a fresh and sweet aftertaste after drinking it.

Would I drink it again? Definitely YES

UMD's Ranking: 5 of 5
          Last edited by UMD; 25 July 2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Alfonso Fruit Tea

Menu Description:
            This tea is not on the menu and may not be available on board - only found in SKL.

UMD's Assessment:
            Yuck! This tea is just too fruity with a strange acidic aftertaste that one usually associates with rotten fruits. If the Alfonso in the name is referring to the type of the famous mango from India, then where has the mango flavor gone?

Would I drink it again? BIG NO NO

UMD's Ranking: 1 of 5
            Last edited by UMD; 25 July 2009, 10:41 PM.

Comment

There's no fixed list of TWG tea line on every flight. On my recent flights, the TWG list on SQ219 is slightly different from the return flight, SQ220.

on SQ219:

on SQ220

Comment

A member of the cabin crew on my recent SIN-BKK flight told me it was because they had trouble getting the supply for the two Featured Teas.

I think I have a variation somewhere of another style of the same TWG page... will look for it and try to post it up later.

I'm liking the chamomile - very dependable, and the Singapore Breakfast Tea is slowly growing on me too

Comment

Paris-Singapore-Tea

Overpowering redberries, quite artifical in taste - too much for the green tea base. Ranks the lowest among the teas I have sampled.

Singapore Breakfast Tea

Interesting idea to blend black and green tea, result is quite good. Tea is on the sweeter side and quite nice.

Comment

I spoke at a seminar at the Four Seasons yesterday and they had TWG on offer. I tried the English Breakfast (a bit of a junkie of this stuff) and also one other that's not on the menu above but I'll be damned if I can remember the name!!!

Anyway, love those tea bags! Nice to see it being served at an event. Go Four Seasons!
                    blog

Comment

I actually like the Paris-Singapore tea but yes, it is a little odd- a tad too sweet for its green tea base as SMK77 suggested.

Its a pity they don't have Polo Club on the menu. This is a green tea with a distinct caramal flavour. Somewhat similar to Paris-Singapore actually but better IMO

TWG has retail boutiques at the airport, Republic Plaza, the Ion, dine-in salons at RP and the Ion. Was at the Ion branch today. They're fantastic.. They've got over 400+ different teas, mainly their own blends and connoisseurs to recommend teas to you. Its usually very crowded though, you probably need to que if you want to dine-in.

Comment

Must admit that I love the TWG teas. My favourite is the 1837 Black - it has the most delicious aroma. Shame they don't serve it onboard SQ, although it seems to be one of TWGs most popular as it regularly sells out at ION and RP. SKL usually has a good supply though.

Comment

Does anyone know if the TWG tea shop still exist in changi T3? It seems like it's gone and i can't find it air side too.

Comment

Slightly OT: I just realized when I read a magazine interview with TWG founders, that TWG is actually a Singapore brand! Admittedly, I never paid attention to the labels/packaging.
                            I was under the impression that it is a well established international brand, perhaps an upscale version of Twinnings or something like that.
                            I must say that IMO TWG is very nicely branded & marketed.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                              Slightly OT: I just realized when I read a magazine interview with TWG founders, that TWG is actually a Singapore brand! Admittedly, I never paid attention to the labels/packaging.
                              I was under the impression that it is a well established international brand, perhaps an upscale version of Twinnings or something like that.
                              I must say that IMO TWG is very nicely branded & marketed.
                              I thought exactly the same thing until I visited their store at ion and asked them if it was the "luxury" arm of Twinings (hence TWininGs), but they responded in the negative, stating that it stands for "The Wellness Group"

Comment

Working...
                              X