CMB Airside transfer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMB Airside transfer question

Is it possible to do a transfer airside without clearing immigration?

and is 1 hour (on two separate tickets) sufficient time?

Airside transfers are definitely possible, I've done it a few times. I just went to the transfer desk in the main part of the terminal at the bottom of the pier, got my BP and went to the lounge.

An hour is enough if you land on time, but there is always the risk. Are you turning around and going back on the same airline and aircraft ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      An hour is enough if you land on time, but there is always the risk. Are you turning around and going back on the same airline and aircraft ?.
      No, not turning around. Coming in on UL at 23:59, departing on this small asian airline at 01:05 to this Tiny grass strip Airfield southeast of Johor bahru.

This airline is the one with star alliance membership and golden bird on the the tail on one of their narrowbody 777-200's. Not sure if anybody here has ever heard of them though.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        No, not turning around. Coming in on UL at 23:59, departing on this small asian airline at 01:05 to this Tiny grass strip Airfield southeast of Johor bahru.

This airline is the one with star alliance membership and golden bird on the the tail on one of their narrowbody 777-200's. Not sure if anybody here has ever heard of them though.
        Sounds like a LCC startup flying mainly gliders, although they operate jets once in awhile.

It is possible but tight. The airside transfer desk cannot issue this LCC's boarding pass. A UL agent will take your passport and eticket to landside and come back later with BP. I have done it before without problem but your schedule has 9 less minutes. Your UL flight must arrive on time or early in order for you to make it. Any UL delay may mean an overnight stay at CMB.

I don't know the on time record of UL, but it may be a good idea to have a plan B.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          Sounds like a LCC startup flying mainly gliders, although they operate jets once in awhile.

It is possible but tight. The airside transfer desk cannot issue this LCC's boarding pass. A UL agent will take your passport and eticket to landside and come back later with BP. I have done it before without problem but your schedule has 9 less minutes. Your UL flight must arrive on time or early in order for you to make it. Any UL delay may mean an overnight stay at CMB.

I don't know the on time record of UL, but it may be a good idea to have a plan B.
          Plan B sounds expensive

Actually, I have not booked the UL leg yet - I also have the option (one and only one) on Maldivian airways which flies a Superjumbo double decker Dash-8. Could be a spot of fun, but that leaves me with a 6 hour layover in CMB. Anything to do there for that long?

Comment

......that leaves me with a 6 hour layover in CMB. Anything to do there for that long?
            Not really. Sounds like you may get in a 7pm. There is not much near CMB in the evening. Maybe someone who knows CMB night life better can chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
              Any UL delay may mean an overnight stay at CMB.

e.g. stay at the Taj Airport Garden Hotel with free airport transfers by car. The last time I arrived in CMB, it was around 1am but the Taj desk in arrivals was still manned and even though I arrived unannounced, it was only a 5 minute wait for the car.

Comment

My UL sample of 1 flight was late. I think an hour is pushing it. Perhaps you could go shopping for a washing machine to fill some time on the earlier flight? Does EK still do MLE-CMB?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                  My UL sample of 1 flight was late. I think an hour is pushing it. Perhaps you could go shopping for a washing machine to fill some time on the earlier flight? Does EK still do MLE-CMB?
                  EK does.... on only Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I need it on a Saturday. Would have been PERFECT.. alas...

Comment

EK does.... on only Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I need it on a Saturday. Would have been PERFECT.. alas...
                    There's also the airline much nearer to home for you - I don't suppose they fly this route on Saturday evening ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      There's also the airline much nearer to home for you - I don't suppose they fly this route on Saturday evening ?
                      They do, but their fairly cheap DBZOWMV (or summat) fare is sold out and waitlist is closed. Their C fare is a lot more expensive, hence me looking at going to CMB for a bit of a plane ride anyhow.

Comment

They do, but their fairly cheap DBZOWMV (or summat) fare is sold out and waitlist is closed. Their C fare is a lot more expensive, hence me looking at going to CMB for a bit of a plane ride anyhow.
                        Ah! I was just thinking of you taking them to CMB only and then connecting to the airline you mentioned to the over-developed kampung off the coast of JB.

Comment

Any recent experiences/updates on CMB? I last did a SQ-SQ turnaround about 8 years ago and this required a rushed exit thru immigration and landside check-in. RCI was not possible in those days - is it nowadays? What's the best SQ-SQ turnaround procedure? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Comment

I tried to do this in May when I flew EK in F, and the service staff was cross with me when I tried to do that but said that she'll sort it out with the immigration authorities and ultimately I had no problems, just a lot of smiling on my part and not actually having any knowledge: "OH really!? You need to go outside and come back in again! But the flight was delayed! *sad puppy eyes*" . It worked out OK but if you don't want to contravene any laws, you're probably better off not risking it.

YMMV of course.

Comment

Working...
                            X