A KrisFlyer member looks back to the past year, with sadness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A KrisFlyer member looks back to the past year, with sadness

As the month draws to a close, so does my PPS membership (though I do enjoy a one-month grace period, which isn't much use, given my travel patterns). It's been a grand year, having access to the SKL C (when in Y) and SKL F (when in Raffles ); being addressed by name and served breakfast ahead of others in the same cabin on my LHR-SIN segments; and enjoying the miraculous waitlist-clearing capabilities of a QPP. But sadly, I have to say g'bye to KrisFlyer as my *A mileage-earning FFP.

Although the rational side of my brain told me that BD (with its cash+miles and UK-based credit card program) and TraitorAir had better earning-redemption ratios than KrisFlyer, I did hold out for the few advantages of SQ *G: access to VS lounges; KrisShop-earned miles ; and last but amazingly not least, the affiliation with an airline whose ethos I'd grown to love. But the accumulation of slights just grew to be too much. If I were to continue my flying days as an Elite Gold, I'd get no SIN SKL access; a segregated checkin counter at SIN; no more Fast Track access at LHR; miles that expire in 3 years but must be used at non-saver redemption levels for the 77W (and likely the A380); and no accelerated security line clearance at SIN (security lines are not a mandated *A privilege, so it should be possible for SQ EGs to get the privilege without extending it to *Gs). I just get the impression that SQ finds my frequent flying patronage -- mostly in Y when I spend my own moolah -- merely a nuisance. I'm sad, but I do see SQ's business rationale behind it. I feel fortunate that I have other options besides KrisFlyer and SQ.

I have to say this, the PPS program is one of the best-designed out there, in terms of being able to target the profitable customer segments (of which I'm only occasionally a member) and to retain their loyalty. I hope SQ doesn't make a numb-skulled move and alienate those customers, say, by making requalification harder.

To SQ: you need a better marketing department in the UK. You're missing out on valuable touchpoints with a very appreciative set of customers. I'm aghast that I get invitations to CX events as a CX Gold, and yet your primary communication with me is through the impersonal and increasingly uninteresting issues of Priority Magazine. I received a calendar from CX even though most of my flying had been on a partner airline. And no, I don't count the perfunctory birthday card (stamped, rather than signed) as part of your relationship-building activities. Such neglect effectively deterred me from taking the few flights it would have taken to requalify.

For me, I've noticed that given my travel patterns, the majority of the conveniences of being a QPP were accessible as a KF EG, and in fact, as a *G. I'd love to continue as a KF EG (I've earned enough miles), but I need more gestures of appreciation. I don't think I'll get those, so when I fly SQ, it will be as a frequent flyer banking with another FFP.

Let's not talk about the flights that I'll be moving to the green-tailfinned airline and its partners.

Apologies for a rant, but I think SQ needs to hear about a customer's discontent. (Yes, a letter containing most of these points will be sent to SQ; I'm not so silly that I wouldn't contact the airline directly. )
    Last edited by jjpb3; 22 January 2007, 01:52 AM. Reason: wording
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

JJPB3 I have to totally agree with you. I really can't see me requalifying for QPP this year. It looks like my two flights to HKG a year are over and I really have to say SQ are not enticing me to spend my own money on requalifying. There is no customer service in the UK, they have employed the invisible man as the PPS coordinator, the call center is so bad I always end up phoning Singapore and recent changes to the redemption rates just leave me with a feeling of being totally unappreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
      ... recent changes to the redemption rates just leave me with a feeling of being totally unappreciated.
      Oh, and they haven't responded to my emails and letters about the changes ... not even a token response.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, jjpb3 and Lobster.
        I can completely understand your pain.

For me, SQ ground services are becoming more and more irritating (cost cutting can be felt almost EVERYWHERE, while prices continue to increase, on top of fuel surcharges increase - which by the way has not been adjusted according to the much lower recent fuel prices).
        I am feeling that a PPS to them is "yet another pax that (we) have to pay more attention to" and the additional $$$ to maintain.

Late last year, I began to start questioning whether keeping PPS is still worth it. This was really something for me, having been loyal (although not exclusive ) to SQ for quite a number of years.

SQ inflight still rocks.
        But PPS used to make its members feel special. Not so much anymore.
        Last edited by StarG; 22 January 2007, 12:06 AM. Reason: Clarified some points

Comment

Being devil's advocate slightly (no offence meant):

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          I did hold out for the few advantages of SQ *G: access to VS lounges; KrisShop-earned miles ; and last but amazingly not least, the affiliation with an airline whose ethos I'd grown to love.
          I assume you've also factored into your analysis the (much ?) greater availability for SQ awards/upgrades when using KF miles. Not only for the remaining 744 routes but also, if relevant, shorthaul redemptions from SIN.

I've not heard of anyone who's willing to pay the ridiculously high 77W (and presumably A380) redemption rates but on the other hand, it seems that redemptions using miles from other programmes are (for the moment at least) unavailable ?

If I were to continue my flying days as an Elite Gold, I'd get no SIN SKL access; a segregated checkin counter at SIN; no more Fast Track access at LHR; miles that expire in 3 years but must be used at non-saver redemption levels for the 77W (and likely the A380); and no accelerated security line clearance at SIN (security lines are not a mandated *A privilege, so it should be possible for SQ EGs to get the privilege without extending it to *Gs).
          Of course apart from the mileage expiration/redemption points, you'd get none of these benefits if you banked with another FFP and made *G there.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that your main gripes with SQ at the moment (leaving aside the increased redemption rates which don't affect ex-LHR for the moment) boil down to lack of soft touches from SQ UK (i.e. a calendar and invites to events) rather than anything (IMO) serious ?

Whilst SQ's ground based service seems to be going down, this seems true of all airlines and I'd be surprised if CX isn't subject to the same intense competitive pressures as SQ. Perhaps a case of better the devil you know rather than switching your main FFP and finding out that things aren't always greener on the other side (or at least don't continue to be in the long term)!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            Being devil's advocate slightly (no offence meant) ...
            No offense taken. I think it's always good for someone to check my reasoning.
            I assume you've also factored into your analysis the (much ?) greater availability for SQ awards/upgrades when using KF miles. Not only for the remaining 744 routes but also, if relevant, shorthaul redemptions from SIN.

I've not heard of anyone who's willing to pay the ridiculously high 77W (and presumably A380) redemption rates but on the other hand, it seems that redemptions using miles from other programmes are (for the moment at least) unavailable ?
            While SQ premium classes are (IMHO) unrivalled among *A options, they're not the only options. I really won't feel that my vacation would be destroyed if I flew TG or LH to Asia. It won't be the same, but tradeoffs are a fact of life.

KrisFlyer's miles expiry and relatively stricter standards (e.g., no minimum mileage for short hops within Europe, which is a very relevant condition to me) translate to a more arduous process of accumulating miles. This is solely from the vantage point of someone whose business trips tilt him towards BA and oneworld. In this respect, BD with the BD credit card wins over SQ.
            Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that your main gripes with SQ at the moment (leaving aside the increased redemption rates which don't affect ex-LHR for the moment) boil down to lack of soft touches from SQ UK (i.e. a calendar and invites to events) rather than anything (IMO) serious ?
            You are mistaken, because you can't leave the increased redemption rates aside. The increase in redemption rates ex-LHR is a very concrete and real concern, rather than a matter of soft touches. By the time I earn enough KrisFlyer miles to requalify as EG (see my point about BA and oneworld), the higher redemption rates will have come into effect. Effectively, SQ will want me to use two years of EG qualification to get access to Business Class -- and only one way! IMO, that's not how you treat loyal customers. The lack of soft touches in the UK push me away from PPS; the recent hard changes have pushed me away from KrisFlyer.

If I'm able to achieve PPS at some point in the future, I can do it as a member of another program, thanks to the generous double-dipping option. When rational decisions point one way, it's only emotional components of brand attachment that can re-direct you another way. In this instance, SQ seems to have made a conscious choice to push me towards the rational. That's what makes me sad. They have a big deposit of goodwill with me, but I don't see them trying to leverage it into my continued membership with KrisFlyer (as a non-PPS member). So, the soft touches are not that irrelevant. People (especially repeat customers) very often buy on the basis of emotions.
            Whilst SQ's ground based service seems to be going down, this seems true of all airlines and I'd be surprised if CX isn't subject to the same intense competitive pressures as SQ. Perhaps a case of better the devil you know rather than switching your main FFP and finding out that things aren't always greener on the other side (or at least don't continue to be in the long term)!
            As I said, I feel fortunate that I have the luxury of exploring other options. It may just look greener on the other side, but I'm now willing to see whether that is just a matter of appearance. If the KrisFlyer program had not been re-jiggered so drastically (from my standpoint), I wouldn't have had the temptation to actively explore other options.

I might be back again as a non-PPS KrisFlyer member , but then again, I might not .
            Last edited by jjpb3; 22 January 2007, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, jjpb3!

From how I understand and see it (albeit only having had the benefit of your and everyone else's advice, experiences and opinions over the last year so I could be wrong), SQ's thinking may be like this.

SQ's primary reward programme was and remains PPS. Their focus was and remains those who travel in premium classes.

SQ has never seriously been committed to giving flights/upgrades as a reward for frequent flyers in Y. It was forced to do so by *A membership. The high earn/burn ratios, no minimum earnings, 3 year mileage expiry and recent changes to the 77W redemption levels all seem to support this.

SQ presumably has a belief (misguided or otherwise) that those who want to qualify for PPS should be persuaded by the benefits of the PPS programme as they are and not free flights/upgrades. For PPS members, SQ would rather that the miles are (with double dipping) deposited elsewhere rather than have them end up as a liability (albeit for 3 years only) for SQ.

As regards PPS membership itself, even people like StarG are reconsidering whether to continue to qualify because PPS is no longer special. For it to be special, the numbers need to be manageable. Whilst I can moan about the lack of soft touchy feely gestures from SQ UK, I can also understand what must be their difficulty with the thousands of PPS members in the UK on one hand and the intense competition/cost cutting in the airline industry on other hand. It's unrealistic to expect the same level of care and attention as in those countries with several hundred PPS.

SQ's solution must obviously be - whether we like it or not - to make (re)qualification harder. Less PPS, better service for those who remain, true premium flyers like StarG feel "special" again.

Comment

It may just look greener on the other side, but I'm now willing to see whether that is just a matter of appearance.
                Any pun intended there?

All the recent talk of PPS changes (both actual and rumoured) is very discouraging.
                I'm closely monitoring the program to decide whether it's worth it going that extra mile to achieve PPS.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

jhm,
                  I tend to look at it differently: since revenues per PPS are at least the same, why don't they hire more people to take care of their increasing number of PPS members? Why penalize us because premium class business has been good for them (thus such a rapid increase of PPS numbers).

I do agree with some of your views, though.

Comment

jhm,

I agree with your conclusions about the focus of SQ's favors to frequent flyers. Award miles seem to be seen as a liability rather than a tool to engender loyalty (SQ seems to have made the strategic choice to use product and service innovation -- KrisWorld, hot towels in Y, ASR for online bookings -- as the tools to drive loyalty, a choice that, I admit, has benefited Y passengers like me). I understand the focus on premium passengers. My company would recommend the same to any airline client (and it has).

It's just that the focus has become more ruthless, and I'm now feeling the downside enough that I'm exploring options. That was the only point of my original post. I respect SQ's business decisions but I don't have to be happy about them.

And I agree completely with StarG: it feels as though cost-cutting is being favored, as opposed to investing in customer loyalty. Investments come with a cost, but they also generate returns. If someone like StarG is actually moved to reconsider his long-time loyalty, it's a bad sign for SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                      jhm,
                      I tend to look at it differently: since revenues per PPS are at least the same, why don't they hire more people to take care of their increasing number of PPS members? Why penalize us because premium class business has been good for them (thus such a rapid increase of PPS numbers).

SQ needs to focus on consistency in the way they treat PPSers across different geographies. Based on reports I've heard from around the world (e.g., wines as gifts for Xmas in Germany vs. not even being able to get a "PPS coordinator" on the phone in the UK), they are all over the place. At least from a branding POV, this doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post

SQ needs to focus on consistency in the way they treat PPSers across different geographies. Based on reports I've heard from around the world (e.g., wines as gifts for Xmas in Germany vs. not even being able to get a "PPS coordinator" on the phone in the UK), they are all over the place. At least from a branding POV, this doesn't make much sense.
                        They do not even have consistency within countries, JJPB3 got a birthday card all be it a mass produced one where as I got absolutely nothing. It would be interesting to see if I moved my location to out here in Israel where I presume there would be very few PPSs whether they would be less complacent.

Comment

They do not even have consistency within countries, JJPB3 got a birthday card all be it a mass produced one where as I got absolutely nothing. It would be interesting to see if I moved my location to out here in Israel where I presume there would be very few PPSs whether they would be less complacent.
                          I have no idea how many PPSers there are in the US, but I was somewhat surprised to get an actual signed card and a pretty nice (if kind of useless to me ) birthday gift (I don't even recall a birthday card last year in SIN). No PPS diary this year, however.

Comment

It felt like such a token gesture to me that I regarded the card as an irritant rather than a signal from a company that valued my business. The card found itself binned very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                              I have no idea how many PPSers there are in the US, but I was somewhat surprised to get an actual signed card and a pretty nice (if kind of useless to me ) birthday gift (I don't even recall a birthday card last year in SIN). No PPS diary this year, however.
                              Ha! I got the PPS Diary but no birthday card/gift. Must be one or the other

Comment

Working...
                              X