KUL: Ritz-Carlton or Westin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUL: Ritz-Carlton or Westin?

I'm planning a little "spur of the moment" trip to KUL in the next few days.

Having stayed at the MO on my last visit, I'm looking to stay in the Bukit Bintang area. Looking at the pics on TripAdvisor, the Westin seems to be the newer hotel. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? Other than that, both hotels have pretty much the same amenities.

SPG stay credits are not important to me as I don't stay enough any particular hotel chain to have any form of status. I'm just looking the best hotel possible. At the moment, the Westin is currently charging a 10% premium over the RC. Is the extra $ worth it? TIA
    Last edited by kchika; 22 May 2009, 03:18 PM.

kyo and I like the Novotel, you might want to check that out. Its just behind the Pavillion mall and its connected by a bridge. Just a few mins walk to Bukit Bintang.

Comment

If you need to be in Bukit Bintang the Novotel Hydro Majestic is cheaper then both, but if you want to splurge I can only say the Westin is right at the top-end of Bukit Bintang, I don't know how either the RC or W compares.

Here's a review I did last year of the Novotel. You do get free Internet in-room.

And their Junior Suites are not bad at all. Lotsa space, great view of KLCC.

At the moment I'm not liking the Novotel because they took 8 months to give me my KF miles (just came in 2 hours ago, finally). As for A|Club - I'm still waiting on three nights credit, three months on. So they've fallen from grace in my book. All my stays are going towards Hilton Petaling Jaya at the moment (including this weekend)... wonder why?!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        kyo and I like the Novotel, you might want to check that out.
        I cannot believe I am seeing a Novotel being recommended to someone who is considering staying in a MO. I have seen it all now, and Kyo+ has brainwashed you.

I haven't stayed at the MO myself but have stayed at the Westin and it's a nice place. Having stayed at all three SPG properties in KL it's probably my favourite.

Comment

One thing of note: The RC is on a side street just off Jalan Bukit Bintang (just off: less than 50m). Whereas the westin is actually ON it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I cannot believe I am seeing a Novotel being recommended to someone who is considering staying in a MO. I have seen it all now, and Kyo+ has brainwashed you.

To answer the OP's question, yes the Westin is newer than the RC. I personally only stay at the Westin in that part of town as they treat Plats very well.

Don't know if the RC has been upgraded thru the years. It was nice when new 12+ years ago.

Comment

Having stayed once in the RC, I found the decor a bit too old school for me. I like the Novotel decor better though the Hilton Sentral is still my fav. Stay there once, come on just once, and let me know.

Comment

Incidentally the KL Sentral Le Meridien was not too bad at all. No fancy upgrades for me, though.

Comment

My (somewhat dated) review of the Westin:
                  http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=27

I've only stayed there as a lowly SPG Gold so not sure what they're like with Platinums.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 22 May 2009, 04:50 PM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    My (somewhat dated) review of the Westin:
                    http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=27

I've only stayed there as a lowly SPG Gold so not sure what they're like with Platinums.
                    On my last stay there, I was upgraded to one of their flats (?) (complete with kitchenette etc) which they let out to long term guests. Shame I only stayed there for an hour or so before moving to a chic boutique place just outside of town...

A bit of variety now and then makes you appreciate the luxuries more! At least, that's what phaleesy told me the other day when we checked into an Accor Formula 1! (We had to change rooms because the first one had a smell; and I had to wipe down the table of the second room...)

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      not sure what they're like with Platinums.
                      2/2 upgrades to full suite at Westin in the past few months. Bathroom/bathtub had a nice window with views to the city.

Also 1/1 upgrade to suite (albeit a smaller one) at Le Meridien Sentral.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Shame I only stayed there for an hour or so before moving to a chic boutique place just outside of town...
                        I heard the manager there didn't treat you particularly well though....

Comment

Thank you all for your input and reviews.

9V-JKL I was horrified to see pictures of dirty bathtubs on TA but their rates sure are attractive (about 35% off of that of the Westin)! Do you know if the bridge is open 24 hours?

Kyo I actually emailed the Hilton Sentral to see if the two rates I planned to book were eligible for the 3x offer (and they were). Took it off my list though because the location is a bit off and I'd only be in KUL for 3 days.

SQfg There was this guy on TOF who kept insisting that Imbi is a dodgy area. While I've not stayed at the RC yet, I don't know what's he on about when it's only 50m away from Jalan Bukit Bintang...

milehighj In which year was the Westin opened? Do you know if the RC's gone through any kind of renovation over all these years?

So the general consesus is go for the Westin?

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
                            SQfg There was this guy on TOF who kept insisting that Imbi is a dodgy area. While I've not stayed at the RC yet, I don't know what's he on about when it's only 50m away from Jalan Bukit Bintang...
                            Well, he's sorta right, because 50m in the OTHER direction is Jalan Imbi

Comment

Ritz Carlton actually had their renovation done not so long ago, probably 2 or 3 years ago. Despite the Imbi location, it's actually connected to Starhill Shopping Centre and JW Marriott, so it shouldn't be a problem. I probably would go for RC if I don't need the SPG points.

Comment

Working...
                              X