Recommendations for 24 hrs in BKI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for 24 hrs in BKI?

Am thinking of taking advantage of the absurdly cheap 3K and TR fares to BKI, available even on most weekends.

Anyone here have input on:

- Hyatt vs. Le Meridien?
    - Recommended car rental firm?
    - What to do for 24 hours?

Thanks.

9V-JKL couldn't resist those fares either.

The Hotel comparison may change if you have status with any of them ?. I haven't stayed in the Hyatt but have been for a drink there numerous times. It's got what used to be the main nightspot there. It's at the top end of the city (town is a better decription..) and close enough to the seafront to have nice views from the rooms.

I have stayed at LM and it's a nice enough place, especially for the price. It's much newer than the Hyatt and is down in the area of town that they are developing a little waterfront area with a few bars and restaurants, which is directly across the road. It's got a nice lounge with excellent views out over the sea.

My favourite Hotel in KK is the Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort, which is just outside the city centre and quite close to the airport and on the waterfront. Unfortunately the prices are much higher now for Horizon Club rooms, which is a shame as they extended it a few years ago and it's really nice now. However, they have a great little sunset bar on the resort which is nice for watching...sunsets. I am back there again later this week and although I won't get to much time to relax on this trip I am looking forward to it.

Shangri-La have another property (the Rasa Ria) about half an hour outside the city on a beach, but for a 24 hour stay it's not worth it. Having said that, if you did stay at the Tanjung Aru I would definitely recommend booking in advance to go and see the Orang-Utan feeding at the Rasa Ria, which they do (or did) twice a day. They have a small number of them on a plot next to the resort and you can get much closer to them than you can at the big Sepilok Reserve over at Sandakan. You used to be able to just roll up from the Tanjung Aru and sign in but you have to book (sometimes way) in advance now. The Rasa Ria also has a Golf Club next to it.

I can't remember the name of the car rental firm I used. It was a friend of the guy I know who works in the bar at the Tanjung Aru. Will find out this week as I need to hire one again.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      9V-JKL couldn't resist those fares either.
      Its actually the airlines couldn't resist offering me those rates when they found out I was planning to go

Besides monkeying around with a bunch of 'monkeys', what else would you recommend? Was looking at a guided day trip to Kinabalu park but they wanted RM240/person which I think is a bit absurd.
      Am staying at the Novotel, I like their decor better than the LM & Shang and in anycase have decided to stick to Accor like kyo+.

Comment

Yay, I have my first recruit!

I also did take a look at Accor's offerings in Kota Kinabalu and was quite impressed that they had a fair amount of choice.

Now I only need a reason to go there. And more leave! Lots more leave!!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          Besides monkeying around with a bunch of 'monkeys', what else would you recommend? Was looking at a guided day trip to Kinabalu park but they wanted RM240/person which I think is a bit absurd.
          Well, while you are there for a few days, and as you have looked into going to the Kinabalu National Park, you could always go up Mt Kinabalu.

The reason we stay at the Shang's is so we can laze around and relax, even if I won't be able to do this myself on this trip. Check out the Sabah Tourism website if you don't fancy going up the big hill :

http://www.sabahtourism.com/sabah-ma...en/activities/

Comment

Thanks all for the comments. Will do the turn this weekend, staying at Le Meridien as I have SPG Plat.

MAN Flyer, did you have that car rental recommendation handy?

Comment

Am staying at the Novotel, I like their decor better than the LM & Shang and in anycase have decided to stick to Accor like kyo+.
              I have just drove past that today, I didn't even realise that's where it is!. I wouldn't stay up there myself, as it's not in the city or on the beach. Be interested to hear how it is. It's gone one of those cheap places Air Asia operate next to it by the looks of it.

I'd be careful taking advice from Kyo+. He raved about the LX service to/from BKK, and look what happened to that.

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              MAN Flyer, did you have that car rental recommendation handy?
              To be honest, I just went straight to the Hetz desk in arrivals and got a Proton Wara for a couple of days. Upgraded from the Wira I got last time.

It works out about 30 GBP a day as I got 30% off for paying by Amex, which I wasn't expecting.

Today has been a PITA. MH cancelled my flight to LDU and I am in the MH lounge at BKI now waiting for the next one, which is running late as the lounge dragon just stopped me leaving saying it must be running late as she can still see the aircraft in the hangar. I hope the last flight back today is running, as it's a long drive....

9V-JKL, did you get the nuclear fall-out style reception committee when you arrived ?. Talk about 'being careful'...

Comment

To be honest, I just went straight to the Hetz desk in arrivals and got a Proton Wara for a couple of days. Upgraded from the Wira I got last time.
                Thanks.

Wira, Waja... maybe a Lotus next time?

Comment

Just back from 27-ish hours in BKI.

No complaints with 3K on the outbound, save for the very very slow check-in in SIN. Flew TR on the return which bought an extra couple hours with the later departure.

Le Meridien was more than fine, with a Plat upgrade to a Club Suite, great location and decent service...

Grabbed a Proton Waja from Hertz at the airport, and had a most excellent drive flogging it up to Kinabalu National Park and back.

Best low-budget bang-for-buck trip I've done in ages!

Comment

9V-JKL, did you get the nuclear fall-out style reception committee when you arrived ?. Talk about 'being careful'...
                    Yes, we did. The converted the domestic baggage carousel area into the welcome reception...mask, gowns, goggles....

The Novotel was quite good IMHO, will post pics at a later date in the hotel section. Got a Birthday cake from them. Interestingly only 160 of 263 rooms were open so the exec lounge was still not opened. Neither the missus or I are beach fans so the location was ok for us. The away from city centre location made the journey to/fro Poring hot springs/Kinabalu park a wee bit better. There's a mega mall next door which made food options reasonably good. Best thing was the free shuttle to/fro airport
                    There's actually 4 hotels in the mega mall: Novotel, Mercure, Tune and Courtyard (NOT the Marriott-operated ones, just the name)

I'd be careful taking advice from Kyo+. He raved about the LX service to/from BKK, and look what happened to that.
                    Are you implying he's the next you know who

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                      Le Meridien was more than fine, with a Plat upgrade to a Club Suite, great location and decent service...
                      I had a room there but didn't use it. Didn't even get to the lounge for a drink either which is a shame as I like the view.

Yes, we did. The converted the domestic baggage carousel area into the welcome reception...mask, gowns, goggles....
                      We got collared up the stairs as soon as we came of the jetway. They took those forms of us (if they are taking it so seriously, surely they could make more effort than hand out those poor quality faded and slanted photocopies) then squirted a liquid on everyones hand, which everyone promptly went to the Starbucks opposite and grabbed a napkin to wipe off, much to the annoyance of the people in there.

Are you implying he's the next you know who
                      There will never be another one of....'him'...

Comment

Working...
                      X