Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NRT - What to do during a 12 hour transit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRT - What to do during a 12 hour transit?

Dear all,

I have a 12 hour transit (transit or layover?) coming up soon at NRT involving (two) JL planes between SIN and the West Coast. Anyone has any idea how I can kill time between those two flights? Also if I am eligible for visa free entry into Japan, is a trip to Tokyo this worth pursuing - since I heard that the city is quite far from the airport (I've never been to TYO)? Thanks

Ps: as an aside, I have not flown non-*A airlines in a long long while... thinking of depositing the miles with AA

I have a similar dilemma for my trip in September for Bangkok. I'm redeeming my miles for a Business Class trip, and also have a long layover in NRT, but mine is more than 24hrs. This was the only available trip for me available for that period since I'm using miles for it. No point in going into the city since I don't know anyone there. Is there a transit hotel at NRT like Changi?

Otherwise, I don't know if they'll let me crash on the couches at the lounge for long periods of time. Doubt it though.
    Last edited by sumitsan; 30 April 2009, 03:29 AM.

Comment

With a 12 hour connection, you have time to go into Tokyo, say:

30 minutes to clear immigration
      2 hours to get into Tokyo
      2 hours to get back
      Check-in 2 hours before

Which still leaves you about 6 hours in Tokyo itself. I would definitely go into Tokyo for (say) lunch and a wander around! (You can leave your hand luggage with left luggage at the airport.)

phaleesy and I had about the same length of time last month. We took the train to Ueno Park to see the cherry blossom (which had just started to bloom), followed by a nice lunch nearby and then back to the airport.

If you don't want to go into Tokyo, you can also go into nearby Narita (the city rather than the airport):

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3186

Comment

The airport closes overnight and they kick everyone out of the secure area.

No chance at sleeping in the lounge or even airside.

You can sleep in the airport ONLY if you are not a Japanese PR or Citizen.

Great airport to do this in (I did it in March as I missed my Narita train and didn't show up until 11:30pm (too late to check into the hostel).

no chance at sleeping on the massage chairs at the top floor food court, the guards will ask your intentions (i.e. are you staying there) then they take you downstairs to one of the smaller rooms (lots of seating however, 4 seats across and comfortable to sleep on).

After taking details from you 2-3 times they will shut off all the lights in the terminal around 1:30am. They will then stand there and watch over you whilst you sleep.

There were about 8 people doing this when I was there.

---

If you have 12 - 24 hours I would say the best bet is Narita. They have a nice temple complex there (I went to dozens over my trip to Japan, and I really like this one), as well as a large shopping centre (aeon) is very close to the hotels.

The streets are really nice and there is a huge variety of cheap Japanese food around on the streets (not so cheap in the shopping centre).

Enjoy your trip, and let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

12 hours is definitely plenty of time to see a glimpse of Tokyo, especially with a few nice meals thrown in for good measure.

If it's a JL-JL connection, you should be free of your checked luggage and also in possessin of your ex-NRT boarding pass which means you just have to get to NRT roughly an hour before departure. By taking the JPY3,500 Suica-N'ex option, the transport is more or less sorted for the stay including a discounted one-way on the Narita Express.

Depending on what sort of things you enjoy doing, it's enough time to take a decent stab at one or two areas. You might as well make the most of it while you're there anyway, since it's not the cheapest place to travel otherwise.

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          No point in going into the city since I don't know anyone there. Is there a transit hotel at NRT like Changi?
          You only travel to places where you know someone? Btw you will be bored out of your mind spending more than 24 hours in the Narita area.

Comment

Alright thanks all. Maybe I will take a shot at Tokyo, having never been there. But just a point of clarification, my ticket specifically does not permit "stopovers" - is leaving the airport like that considered a stopover?

Also, StarGold, what is the "JPY3,500 Suica-N'ex option"? I looked around for ground transport, but seemed to have found only the JR east option and the Skyliner which takes one to Ueno/Asakusa... I was hoping one of these trains would bring me to the Shinjuku or Shibuya area for a quick lunch and walk around

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              You only travel to places where you know someone? Btw you will be bored out of your mind spending more than 24 hours in the Narita area.
              Yeah I bet I'd be bored if I did that. Actually, I don't mind exploring places on my own where there isn't much of a language barrier. I was advised by one of my colleagues here, who is of Japanese decent but born in Canada, that unless I know someone there, or if I'm traveling with someone who speaks fluent Japanese, it's tough out there. Her Japanese is somewhat limited, and she had a tough time out there three years ago. Who knows, maybe be it's changed.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                Alright thanks all. Maybe I will take a shot at Tokyo, having never been there. But just a point of clarification, my ticket specifically does not permit "stopovers" - is leaving the airport like that considered a stopover?

Also, StarGold, what is the "JPY3,500 Suica-N'ex option"? I looked around for ground transport, but seemed to have found only the JR east option and the Skyliner which takes one to Ueno/Asakusa... I was hoping one of these trains would bring me to the Shinjuku or Shibuya area for a quick lunch and walk around
                I think you should definitely give Tokyo a visit. It's an amazing place, so vibrant and beautiful in its own special way.

If you're worried about communicating, take a limousine bus service to somewhere around Asakusa (if you're into culture, check out the Sensoji temple in Asakusa), and then walk around (maybe try some food), ask for the ferry pier (there are signs), and people do speak English at the airport (very well, I might add) - same with the ferry terminal guys. Take a boat ride for 1.5 hours to Odaiba AquaCity (it's a shopping centre - and don't worry, you're still in Tokyo, the boat just goes nice and slow for you to take all the sights in). You won't have to communicate if you don't want to.

Get off, walk around the shopping centre if it's your kind of thing, otherwise make your way to the train next door (there are two stations, you want the one that is literally next door, side by side), pick any station to visit, get off... walk around, find a sushi place or whatever you're gonna find to eat (ramen etc). Go inside, point at the menu (go to a place with a picture menu)... or better still, just order from a vending machine IN the restaurant. No interaction there either. The price will be clearly marked in Yen.

Go back to train station, pick another station, rinse and repeat and leave yourself about 3-4 hours. If you can, go to Shibuya for the famous 'crossing'/traffic lights, or check out Harajuku. Shinjuku is great for erm... the Park Hyatt. A few shops here and there, a Yodabashi camera shop if you're into cameras...

If you're into technology, go to Akihabara.

For me, Tokyo is about the energy, efficiency and the vibrance of the people that live there. It's just about my favourite city in the world.

My Japanese is fairly basic - It's useful to learn how to say left, right, straight, go back... and also "where is" this or that (relax, it's super easy, just keep repeating the same thing)

Comment

Japanese people are also extremely kind and helpful. We were lost at 11pm in the suburbs of Tokyo. Some lady returning from work offered to walk us to the destination (took 40 mins to find as she also was not sure where it was).

Where else in the world would you find a situation like that ?

The guys at the fish market however ... make sure you don't talk to them or get in their way.

Comment

Tokyo is one of the easiest cities in the world to navigate regardless of Language Barrier. Getting around is easy as most of the signs have been Romanised . Been going to Tokyo year after year for Sashimi and Ramen You won't go hungry in Tokyo. Btw, try the Ramen at Ikebukuro JR (East Exit turn right - map it's directly in the centre of the map. faces a main traffic intersection), you can't miss it as there is a queue throughout the day. Be prepared to wait for 45 mins during meal times.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      Tokyo is one of the easiest cities in the world to navigate regardless of Language Barrier. Getting around is easy as most of the signs have been Romanised . Been going to Tokyo year after year for Sashimi and Ramen You won't go hungry in Tokyo. Btw, try the Ramen at Ikebukuro JR (East Exit turn right - map it's directly in the centre of the map. faces a main traffic intersection), you can't miss it as there is a queue throughout the day. Be prepared to wait for 45 mins during meal times.
                      I was at the Crowne Plaza for 4 nights (like 2 streets away) !!!

I had no idea that place was there.

The bar district around the station had some good places to eat, its all Yakuza controlled right?

Streets filled with tough looking people in trench coats and white ear pieces (CIA style)

Comment

Buddy, you'd be mad not to steal away to Tokyo if you indeed have at least 10 hours to spare in transit. For many, experiencing Tokyo is like falling in love at first sight. Don't miss this opportunity!

But just a point of clarification, my ticket specifically does not permit "stopovers" - is leaving the airport like that considered a stopover?
                        Generally, a "stopover" means breaking your journey for more than 24 hours. If your onward connection from NRT has been ticketed and your bags have been checked to your final destination, you won't have to worry about crossing landside. Just be sure to get back to the airport on time. The punctuality of Japan's rail systems is on your side, so you can be just a bit more liberal in budgeting your time.

My recommendation is to take the Keisei Skyliner to the city. The cheapest ticket costs ¥1,000 per way and will get you into Ueno in about 90 minutes. (Paying twice as much gets you there in 60 minutes.) Ueno and neighbouring Asakusa are 'older' parts of Tokyo but are very tourist-friendly and generally offer what 'modern,' neon-soaked Tokyo doesn't.

For the gleaming, concrete jungle side of things, get on the JR Yamanote line at Ueno and head to either Ikebukuro, Roppongi, Shibuya or Shinjuku. Travel time takes about 30-60 minutes depending on your destination. These places are very popular and represent Tokyo 101 for the virgin visitor. They're also excellent choices to begin exploring the city.

If you want to head to Shinjuku direct, you can take the Airport Limousine (it's a bus/coach service). But note that this option can cost you up to 3 times as much as the Skyliner per way and can take even longer if traffic is bad.

Tokyo is a huge city and part of its charm is getting lost there -- in all senses of the word. Enjoy!

Comment

Full details here:

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/

Shinjuku is one of the stops on the NEX.

EWR, definitely definitely visit Tokyo! You won't regret it.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          For me, Tokyo is about the energy, efficiency and the vibrance of the people that live there. It's just about my favourite city in the world.
                          I love Tokyo too.

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                          Actually, I don't mind exploring places on my own where there isn't much of a language barrier. I was advised by one of my colleagues here, who is of Japanese decent but born in Canada, that unless I know someone there, or if I'm traveling with someone who speaks fluent Japanese, it's tough out there. Her Japanese is somewhat limited, and she had a tough time out there three years ago. Who knows, maybe be it's changed.
                          If she meant tough in finding an English speaker compared to somewhere like Singapore or Hong Kong, then yes but, in my experience as a tourist over half a dozen or so visits to Japan, Japanese people are amongst the friendliest and most helpful you'll find anywhere in the world! That and the fact that everything just works like clockwork means that not speaking/reading any Japanese isn't a problem at all.

Comment

Wow wow wow, looks like I really must pay this city a visit. Nothing but praises so far I read. I feel like I have been missing out all these years! Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Definitely go into Tokyo!

Comment

Working...
                              X