• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Asia and Jetstar: MEL (well, AVV actually)-KUL

From Reuters:
    Malaysia, Australia Considering Low-Cost Route

January 15, 2007
    Malaysia and Australia are in talks to open a low-cost air route between the two countries, spearheaded by Qantas-owned Jetstar, and AirAsia, Malaysia's transport minister said on Monday.
    Apparently they'd use the Avalon Airport near Geelong and fly into the Low cost carrier terminal in KUL, the former of which is one of JQ's major domestic hubs.

Can't find the original link, but the entire article has been copied and pasted onto Malaysianwings here:
    http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/...showtopic=4670
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 January 2007, 03:18 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

I think I saw Avalon a few months ago when flying MEL-PER. Is it on the other side of the 'Bay' ?. If it was that, it looks a long way from the City !!.

Comment

pay RM 5.99 for your flight to australia! ....... and 85 AUD for the taxi ride into town.

Comment

It is about 90 minutes to drive from Melbourne to Geelong. AVV is slightly closer - so probably about 75 mins or so.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          It is about 90 minutes to drive from Melbourne to Geelong. AVV is slightly closer - so probably about 75 mins or so.
          I have to correct you on that one KeithMEL

The time to travel from the Melbourne CBD to Geelong CBD is no more than 45-50 minutes. From YMAV to Melbourne CBD will only take 30-35 minutes - this is taking into account any traffic, which is usually light. From YMAV to YMML will take you around 55 minutes.

We (Geelong) may be in the back blocks, but only just

In regards to AirAsia flying out of YMAV, the guy in charge of Avalon Airport basically came out the next day and said that YMAV will not be used for International flights. He stated the airport was not equipped for immigration and there were no plans for it to be used as such. He stated that the reports were rumors without any foundation.

Having said that, where there's a tail there's usually a rat and with QF (JQ) involved, you never know.

Regards
          SQ744
          Last edited by SQ744; 20 January 2007, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ744 View Post
            I have to correct you on that one KeithMEL

The time to travel from the Melbourne CBD to Geelong CBD is no more than 45-50 minutes. From YMAV to Melbourne CBD will only take 30-35 minutes - this is taking into account any traffic, which is usually light. From YMAV to YMML will take you around 55 minutes.
            Eh? I've made it to Geelong in 60 mins b4. But usually more than that. My mate must be a slow driver then...
            In 2004 I was commuting to and from Corrangamite almost every week (Geelong, Torquay, Anglesea etc).

It takes on average 20 mins to get from MEL to Melbourne CBD. How can it take just 35 mins from AVV to Melbourne CBD? I've never been to AVV before though... but I do recall seeing signs leading to the airport on the way to Geelong.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 January 2007, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Here is a link to travel times from Avalon on the Jetstar website, however they are quite conservative

http://www.jetstar.com/index.php?opt...Itemid=117#tra

How do I make that URL shorter ?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ744 View Post
                How do I make that URL shorter ?

Like this

you copy what you want to link, then you type out the word you want to show in replacement of the link.

You then click the globe with chain icon on the toolbar in your posting area, and paste the link.

Comment

Saw Jetstar in SYD when I was there two weeks ago..

Comment

To be announced in 6 weeks: AVV or ADL

Ok hopefully it's more than a rumour this time:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/cu...995366002.html

Cut-price airlines landing like flies

Scott Rochfort and Nadia Jamal
                    May 18, 2007

ASIA'S largest low-cost carrier, AirAsia, has issued the biggest challenge to Jetstar's international operations to date, announcing plans to gazump the Qantas offshoot by becoming the first budget carrier to operate between Australia and Malaysia.

AirAsia founder Tony Fernandes said yesterday his airline's new long-haul offshoot - AirAsiaX - planned to commence services on September 8, either to Adelaide or to Melbourne's Avalon Airport. This will be one day before Jetstar is due to commence flights from Sydney to AirAsia's base of Kuala Lumpur.

Comment

Working...
                    X