X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Seasons, Singapore

Four Seasons, Singapore
    190 Orchard Blvd

(Pictures were a joint effort between my partner and myself)

I was to redeem some SPG points and stay at the St Regis (hey, the alternative is the Sheraton...) when the boyf and I visited Singapore as part of our Easter trip, but ended up here after being arm twisted by a friend whom I used to go to school with. I've not been in contact with said friend for a while - ahh, the wonders of facebook. We had a jolly good time catching up via facebook and she mentioned that she's recently found work in Singapore at the Four Seasons hotel. A cut price rate with room upgrades and brekky thrown in later, not to mention the chance to try out a hotel I’d otherwise never think of trying - I was convinced and duly canceled my St Regis booking (and instead used the points I saved on the W Hong Kong) and moved my stay in Singapore to the Four Seasons.

Initially I was rather apprehensive as the taxi made its way up the drive way. I've seen pictures of the room on the website, looks v nice especially as the rooms were refurbished fairly recently - but the website doesn't advise whether the service was going to be over the top and stuffy like most traditional luxury hotels, and the Four Seasons seems a rather traditional one.

On arrival, a rather chirpy porter came out to the taxi to welcome us to the hotel and ferry our bags away. Managed to banter with him a little. Good first impression - the service is subtle and was a breath of fresh air from the stiff automatons or the synthetically affable staff at many so called luxury hotels. They might not immediately chum up to you you but then again FS has a rather different target demographic from hotels like the New Majestic or the W.

Lobby decor was pretty standard and conventional 5 stars. Nothing too exciting there.

Upon check in was told I've been upgraded even further to a Premier Room (we were assigned a Deluxe Room before, but paying a rate that's below even the lowest category room on their website). At which point my friend popped out from nowhere to say hi. I think it's 'contacts' like these that makes a difference to the hotel stay, as she was so eager for us to enjoy the hotel that she made certain arrangements that wouldn't otherwise be possible. For instance, I suspect the multiple category upgrades didn't come by magically, not for a first time guest anyway.

We were shown to our room. It was a corner room, as big as some 'junior suites' i have been upgraded to at Starwood properties. The design is contemporary and stylish, with a subtle Asian accent and some classic elements in the mix. The bed had to be one of the most comfy I've ever slept on, on par with W's Wonderful Bed and even better than Westin's Heavenly Bed (latter of which lacks consistency between property anyway); we were told that Four Seasons is famous for its beds and I could see why. The mattress (Sealy IIRC) was one of those v nice pillowtop variety and was as soft as can be, with many extra layers piled on.

welcome yummies - not sure whether this is standard but it did come with a v nice note from my friend

The very spacious and functional bathroom came with nice lemon-flavoured L’Occitaine amenities. It had enough room to rival our guest room at home.

Where this hotel truly excels is its bar. On the surface this might seem like a typical, staid luxury hotel bar. But it makes some mean cocktails. The mojito is a must-try – very uniquely, calamansi rather than key lime is used which did a lot to enhance this favourite cocktail of mine. And the huge frozen margaritas and daiquiris have to be sampled to be believed. And where’s the most delicious Singapore Sling to be found? Forget the pre-mixed Slings at the Raffles Hotel. The Four Seasons’ Slings have got to be a contender!

The service was of a rather high standard throughout our stay. The staff were very helpful, especially the porters and the concierge desk yet also with that light and personable touch. The porters all remembered our names without prompting which was pretty impressive.

We tried the restaurant One Ninety on our second night there. Even though it was dinner time, my friend was eager for us to try the newly launched lunch menu by the restaurant’s new executive chef, and gained permission from the kitchen for us to eat from the lunch menu. We were told that in a departure from the previous menus, the imcumbent chef was focussed on simple, traditional yet gourmet meals that allow the diner to experience the freshness of ingredients used and do away with the 101 sauces, foams etc that he deems overpowering. I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves but suffice to say – the food tastes as good as it looks! And even better with the 50% staff discount for my friend was dining with us. Wine list was a bit limited but we were able to enjoy a wine we'd brought over with us, meant as a prezzie for my friend - with the corkage waived.

pea soup with truffles - simply delicious, truffles are my favourite and the portions here are generous

braised ox cheek - i had this one, defo a must try!

Milanese style pork

Chicken - of some description, i can't remember

We made it to breakfast on one morning - quite a standard spread like other Asian hotels with a mix of continental and hot choices, along with the all important egg station.

The location of this hotel is right around the corner from Orchard Rd, which can be accessed by either going down Orchard Blvd or through the Hilton shopping gallery which is connected to the Four Seasons via a linked indoor walkway. Orchard MRT station is also in close proximity, so very handy for getting to other parts of Singapore if you yearn for more than shopping.

Highly recommended, if you don’t mind the lack of loyalty program affiliation. At the moment it’s a hard pick for me between this and the New Majestic, latter of which I absolutely adore primarily for its edgy decor and great location amongst interesting bars and cafes.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 April 2009, 10:54 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Thanksfor the pictures the new reurbished rooms look good. The FS is my hotel of choice in SIN, I am a FS junky when I can afford it (I think I would be financially better off being a heroin junky).

Comment

Thanks KeithMEL for the pictures.
      I have never stayed at FS after the renovation and has been curious of how the rooms look like now.
      Seems like they didn't do anything to the bathrooms.

Comment

Hmm, the hallway with the cupboard white shutters reminds me of IC SIN and the toilet reminds me of Conrad SIN.

Comment

The ox cheek dish looks like the wagyu beef cheeks served as one of the main courses at the St. Regis Sunday brunch.

Incidentally, ox cheeks are also on the menu for this month's SIN-LHR in J
          Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            At the moment it’s a hard pick for me between this and the New Majestic, latter of which I absolutely adore primarily for its edgy decor and great location amongst interesting bars and cafes.
            So the SR doesn't even make the running for you in S'pore?
            HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              So the SR doesn't even make the running for you in S'pore?
              Not unlesss I need the SPG stay credit or am burning Starpoints.

I also want to check out the MO which has been highly recommended on here and looks v nice.
              Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 April 2009, 11:57 AM.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                I also want to check out the MO which has been highly recommended on here and looks v nice.
                I really like that place, despite only having stayed a couple of times due to being a points tart and sticking mainly to Conrad, Hilton, Sheraton and recently Hyatt to burn FFN's.

I went to Mortons in the MO a few days ago with a friend who told me they do a Dom P Saturday Brunch there for SGD 288, which 49 of them 'enjoyed' so much a few weeks back they drank them out of all the allocated Dom for that day and they had to go and get some more.

Comment

Another here for the MO for the nice club lounge, the 8pm standard checkout for club rooms and small gestures such as offering to comp me anything from room service when they found out how early I had to leave (they do a tasty nasi lemak with fried chicken etc which really hits the spot at 5am! ); and letting me hang around in the lounge for a few hours until my midnight flight. Like Keith, I stay at the SR only if I have to but if I don't, the MO is preferable (and perhaps I'll try the FS given the writeup above).

Comment

One of my favs in Singapore

Comment

Working...
                    X