Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it time to retire the Singapore Girl ?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to retire the Singapore Girl ?.

Not my view, of course. But it's obviously slow news time around here and there is a rather amusing article on page 3 of today's Sunday Times. They have predictably managed to dig out a few people who say it's outdated etc etc....

This sort of thing is where we should be thankful there are still enough 'old fuddy duddy's' (copyright someone off here this weekend.. ) left at SQ who wouldn't even consider such a thing. Despite them thinking we all like sitting in lounges with no windows at Changi.

I hope SQ doesn't retire the "Singapore Girl"
    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Ahh...you did see the Sunday Times today

I kinda like the illustration of the SQ girl which appears in the SQ new J class ads serving the Caucasian man... Lots of interesting "to do" & "not to do"

Comment

I think it is very old fashioned and sexist - and I love it

Really though the underlying message is one that on SQ you will get excellent service so I do not see anything wrong with that. The fact that the SQ girl serving you happens to be absolutely gorgeous is just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          Really though the underlying message is one that on SQ you will get excellent service so I do not see anything wrong with that. The fact that the SQ girl serving you happens to be absolutely gorgeous is just a bonus.
          Couldn't have said it better.

Yeah seriously MAN Flyer...it's been completely dead around here recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
            Yup. Well said, Mr. Lobster.

I can't say that it is the only thing that's been driving people to fly SQ, but the Singapore Girl icon is really something that makes SQ not just another excellent Asian airline. It makes SQ special.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
              I can't say that it is the only thing that's been driving people to fly SQ, but the Singapore Girl icon is really something that makes SQ not just another excellent Asian airline. It makes SQ special.
              I think we can venture a bit further and say that the Singapore Girl is the face of Singapore as a nation. Aside from Creative Technologies and SingTel (which only techies will recognize), there is nothing more iconic.

Comment

I think it article came at the time when SQ's management is deciding on the new ad agency.

I think as discussed, the SQ girl is iconic. People associate the SQ girl with SQ, and a good carrier (IMHO). I mean, in marketing, we have something that others don't have, and it will be a pity and a HUGE waste to just let her go like that. In the stage of airlines who are boasting about biggest seats, best IFE, etc, we have the SQ girl on to of all that! There you go!

A little OT, but I noticed when flying a few months back that some girls on the short haul flights I took were getting sloppy in their attire. Aren't the toe nails supposed to be painted too? Or is that the norm?

Comment

Originally posted by kaysquare View Post
                  I think it article came at the time when SQ's management is deciding on the new ad agency.
                  The article does say that the question arose when SQ asked for Ad Agencies to tender for the new contract.

Comment

I read that today, hungover again, and just thought, what a load of bollocks, tripe and crap. Very unbecoming of the Sunday Times. The only saving grace was that the lovely Karamjit Kaur didn't put her name to the article.

A letter to the ST Forum will be written tomorrow.

Comment

If they're going to retire the Singapore Girl, they'd might as well fold Singapore back into Malaysia.

Comment

Definitely sounds like they're feeling out the public's reaction. My biased view, of course, is that ditching the SQ Girl is an ill-conceived move that would devalue the SQ brand.

For me, the SQ Girl is a symbol of SQ's commitment to the softer -- and ultimately more important -- side of the travel experience. It's a promise that SQ will keep focusing on service even as they continually invest in hard-product innovation and fleet rejuvenation.

Without the SQ Girls in the ads on the new products, the ads would've been so much colder ... and certainly would've been less convincing about the assertion that "The romance of travel lives on".
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                          I kinda like the illustration of the SQ girl which appears in the SQ new J class ads serving the Caucasian man... Lots of interesting "to do" & "not to do"
                          Oh? Please elaborate. I'd be interested to know.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                            The only saving grace was that the lovely Karamjit Kaur didn't put her name to the article.
                            When I was reading Singapore newspapers, I thought that most of her airline/aviation articles were uninformed and not entirely accurate...

Comment

retiring the singapore girl would be the most stupidest thing ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X