• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA may change ad agency

Jan 9.

IN A stunning move that is likely to create turbulence in the
    advertising industry, Singapore Airlines (SIA) has announced
    that it is looking to “review” its global creative agency relationship.
    This could mean its historic 34-year relationship with
    Batey Ads might be coming to an end, say market watchers,
    although the agency — creators of the iconic Singapore Girl
    — are not out of the running as they have been “invited to participate
    in the review,” said SIA in a press release yesterday.
    The decision to conduct the “market review” is aimed
    at “(procuring) the best services available in the market at
    the most competitive prices,” said SIA. This is the first time
    since SIA appointed Batey Ads as its creative agency in 1972
    that the job has come up for change.
    The push factor was SIA’s desire as part of good business
    practise, to review arrangements “and to ensure we
    are getting good value and positioning in a changing media
    creative landscape. We’ll be doing this review on a more regular
    basis,” said an SIA spokesman.
    Consultancy firm R3 has been appointed to manage the
    review process. Creative agencies will first have to make
    their submissions in response to Singapore Airlines’ Request
    for Information. Short-listed agencies would then be
    briefed on the final Request for Proposal. R3 will handle all
    communication with the prospective agencies.
    The selection committee will consist of senior representatives
    from SIA’s management. — JOSEPH YADAO

If these are the idiots behind the dumping of the RAFFLES name then this would be excellent news.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      The selection committee will consist of senior representatives from SIA’s management.
      On the contrary, I think these are the idiots behind the dumping of the Raffles name...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        If these are the idiots behind the dumping of the RAFFLES name then this would be excellent news.
        I would think they were the people who came up with the palm tree and the Raffles and Kris-everything names.

Comment

I would think they were the people who came up with the palm tree and the Raffles and Kris-everything names.
          Yup. I think it's actually management who's decided to drop some of those icons. Wouldn't surprise me if that's also the reason they are looking for a new agency, if they are looking to take the SQ brand in a different direction.

Comment

Which reminds me...in the last couple of inflight surveys I got in Dec, there were a few questions on the "Singapore Girl" campaign and whether it should be continued in SQ advertising. Can't remember if previous surveys had that.

Comment

Maybe SQ has a misguided (IMO) belief that they need to be more PC!

They wouldn't change the kebaya uniform ... would they ?!? To be phased in with the introduction of bow ties for the stewards!

Comment

Which reminds me...in the last couple of inflight surveys I got in Dec, there were a few questions on the "Singapore Girl" campaign and whether it should be continued in SQ advertising. Can't remember if previous surveys had that.
                Yes I have seen questions about the SQ Girl campaign in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Maybe SQ has a misguided (IMO) belief that they need to be more PC!

They wouldn't change the kebaya uniform ... would they ?!? To be phased in with the introduction of bow ties for the stewards!
                  Well to be honest I can think of some improvements to the Keyaya uniform that could be made but I don't think they would go down to well with the PC brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                    Well to be honest I can think of some improvements to the Keyaya uniform that could be made but I don't think they would go down to well with the PC brigade.
                    There were some un-PC improvements on display at a Bangkok pub called Bus Stop in Soi Nana....you have to walk past the infamous Nana Plaza.

Comment

the whole point of the singapore girl is "image branding", sofar SQ has been succesfull! the singapore girl icon is THE image of singapore airlines. just look at all the other ad campaigns...they are boring! they just put emphasis on the functionality of the plane....but it is the "singapore girl" that makes it so special.

the singapore girls are legendary, no one can replace them, she must be included in all ad campaigns. if there were no more singapore girls included...what will SQ try to promote? better service? better seats? better food? bigger bed? more destinations? so what.....everyone in the industry will do the same eventually but ......NOBODY has the SINGAPORE GIRL!!!

if SQ wants to be considered as a top brand and if SQ wants to be concidered as a "sure value" like a top brand, than SQ should keep the singapore girl in their campaign. she is the first image we see when boarding the plane and she is the last image we see when leaving the plane. she gives that special touch! it is not the golden bird, or the interior or the food...it is the singapore girl in her beautiful kebaya uniform.

i have no problem that SQ changes their ad agency but i have a problem with SQ removing the singapore girl from the ad campaign. she is the reason why i like to fly with SQ. just look at all the other carries, the FAs look boring. basically : what you see is what you get and i like the singapore girl. all though i like the golden bird, nothing beats the singapore girl!

Comment

Are Batey Ads the ones who helped SQ in creating those beautiful "Singapore Girl" commmercials?

Like these ones:

SIA Commercial 2006:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSBM...related&search=

SIA Commercial 2004 (U.K. version):
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHMbRfvBYiM

SIA Commercial 2004 (U.S. version):
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKts...related&search=
                        "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
                          Are Batey Ads the ones who helped SQ in creating those beautiful "Singapore Girl" commmercials?

Like these ones:
                          <snip>
                          They didn't just "help" them--they created them.

Comment

There were some un-PC improvements on display at a Bangkok pub called Bus Stop in Soi Nana....you have to walk past the infamous Nana Plaza.
                            Are yes I know it well, from the outside only I might add. When I was based in Bangkok my office was down the end of Soi Nana so I had to walk by most days.

Comment

As long as they don't get rid of the Singapore girl. I will admit that some of their recent ads (nonstop to EWR in CGK entrance, and the MXP-BCN introduction) have been um...dull.

Although I did really like their video clips about the A345 when it first came out on a345leadership.singaporeair.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X