X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUL Airport Guide (Non LCCT)

The airport’s website: http://www.klia.com.my/

Arriving:
    Customs and Immigration formalities. Do I need to fill out any forms? How do I get through quicker?
    Non Malaysians are supposed to fill out a customs and immigration declaration form. If you are flying in on a premium class, you will get a priority lane pass which you should use as lines do get long during rush hour. These are a godsend for non-malaysians. Keep those handy.
    Malaysians supposedly need to fill out a customs declaration form – but in my experience, not required in reality. Malaysians do not need to fill out the immigration form as they can use the automated machine lane.
    Customs do x-ray bags here, but this is rare.

Luggage reclaim : Do priority tags work? Is it quick or slow?
    Priority Tags are hit and miss. They work reasonably well arriving on SQ, not so well on MH and TG. There are timers estimating first bag arrival onto the carousel, and is usually pessimistic. Most bags arrive before the clock counter runs out. Not quite as quick as SIN, but improving. Feel free to visit the duty free shops upon arrival as the luggage delivery is not THAT quick.

Duty Free Shops – Costs for typical items
    There is a duty free shop on arrival just before baggage reclaim. Prices for typical items TBA

Transport to Town tips – what’s the best way?
    Train – The KLIA Express: http://www.kliaekspres.com/ runs every 15 minutes on the hour during peak hours, and every 20 minutes on the hour during off peak hours. The train takes 28 minutes, and arrives in KL Sentral. The Hilton and Le Meridien are built above KL Sentral. Other hotels are a short cab ride away. Taxis outside are plentiful. Cost is RM 35 one way.

Taxi – There is a limo counter just after customs, before spilling out to the arrival hall. Fares are competitive, depending on the KL zone that you want to go to. They are reliable, and depart from just outside the arrival hall after a very short walk.
    Do NOT use taxi touts – they are unlicensed, and have a horrible reputation.
    Taxi Fare list: http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=8&pg=3&ac=1688

Are there any left luggage services? Where and how much?
    There are several options here: http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=62&pg=137&ac=2678

Are there airport hotels? Are they airside? Are they within the compound?
    There is an airside transit hotel. Best described as adequate. Rates from RM140 for a 6 hour block. Facilities without the room are also available. This hotel is located behind MH’s Golden Lounge in the international terminal building.
    http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=8&pg=87

The Pan Pacific KLIA is a much better option if you can clear immigration, somewhat more expensive. Day rates upon enquiry
    http://klairport.panpacific.com/

Things to avoid: The pitfalls of this place
    Avoid the taxi touts at all costs. Whilst KLIA is generally very safe, beware of pickpockets as it can also get quite crowded in the arrival hall.

Other general tips
    If you arrive at an International C Gate, you will need to board the Aerotrain to go to customs and immigration. There are two trains and they run every 3-4 minutes. Signs are clearly posted.

Last edited by SQflyergirl; 9 January 2007, 10:59 AM.

Departing:
    Best way to get back to the airport from town. How much will it cost?
    Most cabs you hail off the street will NOT take you back to the airport unless you pay some exorbitant fee. The best option is to take a cab back to KL Sentral and grab the KLIA express from there. Hotel limos are more expensive, but also more reliable.

Which terminal? Who flies out from where?
    All flights – international or domestic, except those operated by Air Asia and Cebu Pacific depart from the Main Terminal Building. Domestic MH check in counters are located near doors 1-4, SQ closer to door 7.

Who has lounges here, and which one can I use?
    All lounges in the international departure hall are located one level above the main concourse. This is easily accessible by elevator or escalator.

MH’s flagship lounge is here – and is separated into an F and J section. This lounge is just above the Aerotrain terminus in the international lounge.

MH also has a smaller Golden Lounge in the domestic terminal that serves small tidbits and a decent breakfast.

SQ has a dedicated SKL here.
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/before/lounges/skl_kl.jsp
    This is not the designated *G lounge for KUL, and is for PPS, SQ F, or those on SQ J connecting out from SIN.

The designated *G lounge is the TG one opposite the SQ SKL.

CI http://www.china-airlines.com/en/check/service-3-2.htm
    and
    CX http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/atairport/lounge?cityCode=KUL
    also have dedicated lounges here.

There is also a pay per use lounge, the Plaza Premium Lounge
    http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?ch=62&pg=135&ac=2643
    http://www.plaza-ppl.com/kl_en/index.php
    Other airlines like LH and KL amongst others use this lounge

I’ve got access to more than one lounge, which one’s the best?
    The MH flagship lounge is one of the best in the world. Access sadly is only for Enrich Gold, Platinum as well as MH J or F pax.
    For *A pax, the TG lounge is superior to the SKL as it’s less crowded .

What sort of food is available in the concourse areas?
    There are several coffee shops landside before immigration. There is also a McDonalds and Delifrance. Airside there is a Sbarro, Burger King, Delifrance, the Rimba Bar as well as several other bars

Any immigration forms on departure?
    Yes, this is part of the card you received on your inbound

Any airport tax to be paid on departure?
    No. KL airport tax is built into the ticket

Is there free internet around somewhere?
    There is free wi-fi throughout KLIA, with very good coverage

Any food or shopping that I shouldn’t miss before my flight?
    No, the best food is outside the airport. Duty free prices are not spectacular either

How strict are they with hand luggage here?
    Not very. 2 pieces seems to be the norm regardless of class or carrier

Security – Laptops out? Shoes off? Tips? Any No-Liquid restrictions?
    Laptops can be left inside, shoes can be kept on. There is also no restriction on liquids for now

Can I smoke in this airport? Where?
    You can smoke in the MH Lounge, at departure gates near gate C1, in the domestic terminal smoking room or at the Rimba Bar, on the same level as the international lounges.

Anything I should avoid?
    Nothing of note

Other general tips
    TBA

Connecting through here:
    Are the international terminals and domestic terminals in the same building? How do I get around?
    Yes, they are in the same building. If you arrive at a C gate (international) you will need to take the Aerotrain to the A and B gates to connect. Note that Air Asia and Cebu pacific flights depart from the LCCT, which is a lengthy ride away.

Will I need to clear CIQ before going on to my next international or domestic flight?
    If you are connecting to a domestic flight – yes, you will have to clear CIQ. If you are connecting to an international flight, this is not necessary and you can remain airside

Other general tips

Overnighting at this airport:
    Is it possible? Does the terminal close?
    Yes, it is possible. There are many chairs in the concourse and they make for decent sleeping. The lounges DO close however, so you cannot overnight in any of them.

Which lounge can I overnight in? Can I sleep in the concourse?
    As above

General commentary on this airport:

Generally quite hassle free, it’s bright, airy and fairly efficient and makes for a decent traveler experience.
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 9 January 2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      What sort of food is available in the concourse areas?
      There are several coffee shops landside before immigration. There is also a McDonalds and Delifrance. Airside there is a Sbarro, Burger King, Delifrance, the Rimba Bar as well as several other bars
      No semi-authentic local makan options available at all ?

And where IS the shoe shine ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        No semi-authentic local makan options available at all ?
        Didn't i say burger King?

Comment

Didn't i say burger King?
          I didn't know that Malaysia has a Burger King

The only big U.S. restaurant chains there are in Malaysia I saw were McDonald's and KFC
          "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
            I didn't know that Malaysia has a Burger King

The only big U.S. restaurant chains there are in Malaysia I saw were McDonald's and KFC
            You know now - Burger King's a late entry though. We used to have White Castle and Wendy's but those packed up a couple of years back.

Comment

Malaysia has Ramly burger which is even better

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                Malaysia has Ramly burger which is even better
                The Ramly experience is wholly dependent on the operator of the Ramly stall. The one outside my place can't flip burgers to save his life. But when it's done right....... I agree! Yummers!

Comment

We used to have White Castle and Wendy's but those packed up a couple of years back.
                  You had White Castle? Wow--I hadn't even seen a White Castle until I moved to the US Midwest.

Comment

Ramly burgers are generally very very good (salivating now!), it's very hard to make a bad Ramly burger, and if they do, they really cant flip burgers to save their lives!

Comment

UPDATE:

from now onwards, non-Malaysian need not fill up the customs and immigration declaration form.

Comment

Originally posted by A350 View Post
                        UPDATE:

from now onwards, non-Malaysian need not fill up the customs and immigration declaration form.
                        Is that true?? That is a god-send.

Hate the forms that ask you to fill in your name and passport number 3 times

Comment

yup... thank god for it

Comment

HELP!!
                            I will be arriving on SQ at 11 in KL on the 21st of March just to ride the A330. After that I'm taking the TR flight back to Singapore at 2.40, do I need to leave the airport at all and if so how long is it from the SQ terminal to the one that TR departs from? Is it possible for me to transit airside? Also isit safe for a 13 and a 15 year old to be walking around without UM? SQ is not willing to give it to us as it I need to have a guardian on the other side.
                            I'm 13 years old, sorry for my lack of knowledge,
                            Viraj
                            The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Viraj, by TR, do you mean Tiger Airways?

If yes, then it's in a completely separate terminal, and it's a fair distance that will involve a drive/bus ride to get to... (and that's probably why SQ won't be able to accommodate you under Unaccompanied Minor)

Comment

Working...
                              X