Grande Bretagne Athens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grande Bretagne Athens

The Grande Bretagne (a Luxury Collection hotel) is the grande dame of Athens located in the heart of the city, Syntagma Square. I had the opportunity to stay here early February and I must say, it's one of the most astounding hotels I've step foot it.

Booked the lowest category Classic room at Euro 128 (tax & service 11% not inclusive).

I got upgraded to the Deluxe Suite on the 6th floor with an expansive balcony with views of Lycabettus hill. That's a 3 category upgrade.

Butler service came with all suites - I had "assistance" in unpacking.

The Deluxe Suite is circa 55sqm (not including the balcony), the bedroom and living area is separated by a wall and sliding doors.

Decor is typically Luxury Collection style, with chandeliers and walnut trim furniture.

One of my favourite feature is that the walls are lined with damask (fabric) instead of the usual wallpaper.

The room was extremely silent, which was surprising considering its location right in the heart of Athens - I suppose it's also due to the double glazed windows.

There was a daily chocolate platter, 3 pieces of Leonidas pralines replenished daily. Turndown chocolates were of my favourite, two little squares of Valrhona Jivara.

Toileteries are of Gilchrist & Soames of London (the shampoo and conditioner are to die for). The toilets are fully marbled, floors and mirrors are warmed, two basins, separated shower and bath. No bidet.

Breakfast was served at the GB Rooftop restaurant (Euro 35). Fantastic selection of "still hot" pastries, cold cuts (3 types of salami, spec, prosciutto, mortadella), cheese (6 varieties), fruits (fresh strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, melon and orange), hot dishes (2 varieties of in-house sausages, streaky bacon, scrambled eggs, eggs benedict, poached eggs and omelettes cooked to order), juices (5 varieties that change daily except orange) and breads (5 varieties).

But best of all, breathtaking views of the parthenon, and parliament.

Service wise, I would sum it up by these few words. Unobtrusive, understated, prompt, warm, dignified and almost perfect.

True indeed, it is one of the very best, if not the best, hotels in Athens and in Greece in general. Thanks for your review.

Comment

You really got an amazing deal

Triple upgrade!

The view from your room is truly breathtaking

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
      X