Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience at SQ's US Entry Points: LAX, SFO, EWR, IAH

Originally posted by mczlaw View Post
    And let me add that TBIT is a nightmare. Major renovation means barely any services, dim lights and not much else.
    And it's not likely to get any better. LAX should just begin the demolition and start over from scratch. It's because of these problems (and Customs) that many of us are rerouting via SFO. Not that the airport is nicer, but it's a whole lot easier.
    HUGE AL

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
    And it's not likely to get any better. LAX should just begin the demolition and start over from scratch. It's because of these problems (and Customs) that many of us are rerouting via SFO. Not that the airport is nicer, but it's a whole lot easier.
    Can't agree with you more, Huge Al... bloody LAX is a frigging hole and no one should ever have to step through this port if they didn't have to!

I don't think I have to mention how bad it is to enter this port, as most of us would've experienced this dread before.

Twice I was there - the most recent being 12 months ago after getting off an AC flight from YVR mid-morning, and hopping onto SQ11 to NRT subsequently.

The walk from one terminal to another wasn't all that bad. But once you've checked in your bags at the counter, you're faced with an X-ray check system that's probably on-par with third-world standards. Just this process alone took around 45 minutes, and you can see the disorganisation and mess that's been created.

However, the new *A lounge there is definitely a sight for sore eyes. Definitely comparable to the AC Maple Leaf Lounge at the YYZ hub, and by far better than the el-cheapo UA lounges I've been to thus far.

Because I had to go to TYO on this trip, there wasn't a choice given that SQ only does the NRT route via LAX - which I seriously wish they would move to SFO instead.

If you're on the west coast, then SFO is definitely the port to go in and get out of. Out is quick and fast... but coming in can take a *bit* of time, but by far better than the entry lines at LAX, which is beyond attrocious!

As for the east coast, JFK is definitely the entry point of choice (EWR is a no-go). Not sure about IAH...

Comment

Originally posted by kras View Post
      As for the east coast, JFK is definitely the entry point of choice (EWR is a no-go). Not sure about IAH...
      I found EWR OK except for being "SSSS" by the CO check in staff so I had to go through extra hand baggage search before boarding the CO flight to SXM.
      Good to hear JFK is also OK.

I have heard terrible things about LAX and Miami. Miami I found OK even if it felt like I was in Mexico. But what I am glad about is that SQ now fly to IAH so I don't have to endure US domestic flights.

Comment

I fly into JFK on SQ26 once every year (around Feb/Mar period), and the time that it takes for me from getting off the plane to exiting immigration is around 15-20mins, which is amazing for a US international entry port.

Part of the reason for the swiftness is the timing of the flight, which gets in when there aren't any other flights to build up the queues at immigration. And the immigration staff at JFK are definitely far more down-to-earth than those at LAX!

For those who've not had the pleasure of entering the US via LAX, the average turnaround time is at least an hour, and under two. And past immigration, the baggage collection area is a mess.

Comment

I still remember LAX from last year, and yeah, the arrangement is not very pretty. I remember waiting for SQ11 to SIN, and the SQ 744 had to wait for the Korean Air 744 to leave the gate before it could park there. They should be more organized than that.

Comment

IAH International to Domestic Connection

I ask here instead of starting a new thread since it is about US entry point.

Just wanted to ask if a 1H55M connection time is sufficient in IAH from SQ62 ETA1350 to a CO flight ETD1545. Taking into account immigration, collecting bags, customs and re-checking in. This is on a Sun afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              I ask here instead of starting a new thread since it is about US entry point.
              I was wondering how I could have started a thread with such a title.

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Just wanted to ask if a 1H55M connection time is sufficient in IAH from SQ62 ETA1350 to a CO flight ETD1545. Taking into account immigration, collecting bags, customs and re-checking in. This is on a Sun afternoon
              It could be a bit tight. SQ is in Terminal D. Being that IAH is a CO Hub, they use Terminals A, B, C, E. So depending on where your next flight is departing from, it could be a stretch. IAH is an OK airport, but it can get crazy.
              HUGE AL

Comment

IAH is an OK airport, but it can get crazy.
                OK, EWR it shall be then. At least I am familiar with EWR.

Comment

I was wondering how I could have started a thread with such a title.
                  You must have special powers.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    You must have special powers.
                    Yeah, granted by some dude in the UK.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Efficiency at LAX after the plane has parked depends on the time you land and what other flights land before or soon after. Arriving on NW or UA at 8:40am from NRT is the best since it is literally 7 mins from airplane door to curbside if you don't have checked luggage. The only gotcha is the damn immigration doesn't open until 9am, so if you land early, you wait in the plane!

Now, TIBIT is luck of the draw... when you arrive and where the plane parks is key. If you are a US citizen, consider getting global access... no lines!

Comment

Originally posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
                        Efficiency at LAX after the plane has parked depends on the time you land and what other flights land before or soon after. Arriving on NW or UA at 8:40am from NRT is the best since it is literally 7 mins from airplane door to curbside if you don't have checked luggage. The only gotcha is the damn immigration doesn't open until 9am, so if you land early, you wait in the plane!

Now, TIBIT is luck of the draw... when you arrive and where the plane parks is key. If you are a US citizen, consider getting global access... no lines!
                        Bolded part is not true. Various terminals at LAX have immigration facilities and opening time varies at each one.

Comment

Working...
                        X