Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty Free Camera Prices

Hi

Does anyone know if the airport is a good place to buy cameras??

Im looking for a Canon 1000d DSLR and whilst im sure i might be able to get one cheaper in singapore i will be in transit so looking for airport prices.

Any advise ??

The airport is OK but not the cheapest place in Singapore to buy cameras.

Depending on which country you are from, it may not be cheaper in Singapore. e.g. Aust used to cost 20% more than Singapore but of late prices are very similar because of the depreciation of the AUD - Canon has not compensated by increasing the Aust prices ... yet...

If you are from Europe, then it is probably still cheaper in Singapore

Comment

It's usually cheaper in town than at Changi, because you can bargain for a discount off the displayed price. With the exchange rate tanking, Tottenham Court Road is actually competitive with Changi.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        Tottenham Court Road is actually competitive with Changi.
        True. You'd never ever call London cheap in the past, but with the Brown Peso in the doldrums, it's actually become quite reasonable.

And to the OP: Skip the 1000D, go with the 450D, a lot more camera for not a lot more money.

Comment

if from airport my opinion is that HK and Dubai are cheaper than Changi.

Comment

Thanks for all the information,

its true there are some great deals in the UK at the moment due to the weak pound abroad and most camera manufacturers are offering upto 50 pound cash back as well so might buy one before I depart here.

SQflyergirl thanks for the advice its going to be my first DSLR so the 450D might be the better option.

Comment

Originally posted by spannersandbolts View Post
              Hi

Does anyone know if the airport is a good place to buy cameras??

Im looking for a Canon 1000d DSLR and whilst im sure i might be able to get one cheaper in singapore i will be in transit so looking for airport prices.

Any advice ??

To tell you the truth, Singapore Duty Free may not be the best place to get the best prices cos you can't haggle. At least in town eg Sim Lim Square you can still haggle a bit and still get the GST back abeit with the service fee deducted.

Plus with the currency dropping ie GBP, I actually got a bargain at DF in LHR over Christmas. I got a SONY camera which the Dixons was getting rid off as it was a 'display' model for 110 Pounds ! Other than the box, the camera looked brand new, and worked beautifully so no problems there. The same camera in Singapore was over 200 Pounds!

With the falling pound, it is cheaper to get most things at Duty Free at UK airports. I got an iPod - the 120GB classic - 2 weeks ago for 153 Pounds. (equiv SGD $ 332) You can't even beat that at Apple Store Duty Free in Singapore which is selling the same for S$370.

Comment

Working...
              X