Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you get worse treatment onboard as a PPS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you get worse treatment onboard as a PPS ?

[Note: thread initiated in the old SQTalk forum]

jhm
    SQTalk PPS Club

« Thread started on: Sep 7th, 2006, 7:23pm »

Reading CGK's latest experiences in the "SQ doesn't love me anymore?" thread on TOF got me thinking.

A VIP PPS such as he doesn't get his booked BTC nor did SQ arrange a special 744 with Connexion and playing cards.

A "wet behind the ears" PPS - myself - had his first (and only so far) flight after reaching PPS and found it to be the least memorable.

I also remember reading someone posting on TOF about how they were told NOT to mention being PPS when meeting some of the crew socially because PPS = PITA.

Out of a statistically insignificant sample of 3, can I conclude that a PPS may perhaps in some cases get treated worse onboard because the crew might think you're a "know it all" who's going to be demanding and difficult ? (Of course only until they realise what a nice person you actually are!)

(In case I get flamed to a crisp, just to clarify that I'm only being slightly serious when writing this!)
    Last edited by jjpb3; 2 November 2006, 08:09 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

jjpb3
    Founding SQTalker

« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 9:26pm »

Oooh, slow night, jhm?

Originally posted by jhm
    (In case I get flamed to a crisp, just to clarify that I'm only being slightly serious when writing this!)
    I think you'll find CGKposted in jest and wouldn't have asked this question (even in jest) :

Originally posted by jhm
    can I conclude that a PPS may perhaps in some cases get treated worse onboard because the crew might think you're a "know it all" who's going to be demanding and difficult ?
    I also remember reading someone posting on TOF about how they were told NOT to mention being PPS when meeting some of the crew socially because PPS = PITA.
    Someone who feels compelled to remind the crew about his or her PPS status is, IMO, just screaming PITA. It's the need to announce status the crew member may be reacting to, not the status per se. I can't think of a reason why that would be necessary. If something doesn't feel right during a flight, a comment expressing disappointment doesn't need to be validated by PPS membership. In any case, I suspect the majority of cabin crew would have the professionalism not to treat someone worse because of self-importance. Maybe less warmly, but not materially worse.

Originally posted by jhm
    A "wet behind the ears" PPS - myself - had his first (and only so far) flight after reaching PPS and found it to be the least memorable.
    There is an infinite number of lines that can be drawn through one point, jhm. Fly some more before trying to draw a trend line. My best flights in Y have been as a QPP.

Comment

jhm
      SQTalk PPS Club

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2006, 10:59pm »

Originally posted by jjpb3
      Oooh, slow night, jhm?
      Bored at work at the time - how did you guess ?

I wasn't being very serious when drawing a conclusion from CGK's chewy sukiyaki on his latest flight and my experience (I guess my first SQ longhaul J will always be extra-special and others will find it very hard to match up!). If I had posted the above in TOF with its wide readership, somebody actually might have believed me and then I may have ended up more than slightly singed!

The only serious point in my post above was just wondering whether a person having status may sometimes get tainted with certain pre-conceptions even if s/he doesn't announce that status or otherwise do anything. Despite their training, cabin crew are human and for the same reason why (so I understand) flights from certain locations are preferred (or not), perhaps status has the same effect ?

Comment

shortfinals
        Founding SQTalker

« Reply #3 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 02:26am »

I find i get better treatment onboard. I don't advertise it, and to be honest, you don't need to, they already know. Anyone who needs to tell the crew that they're PPS is probably asking for it.

Comment

MovieMan
          Founding SQTalker

« Reply #4 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 05:48am »

Originally posted by shortfinals
          I find i get better treatment onboard. I don't advertise it, and to be honest, you don't need to, they already know. Anyone who needs to tell the crew that they're PPS is probably asking for it.
          I would agree with this post, and it is how I approach it myself.

Comment

StarG
            Founding SQTalker

« Reply #5 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 08:06am »

I think having PPS status defintely enhance the experience in Y, probably less so in premium classes as you are treated very well already to begin with.

Comment

SQFAN
              SQTalk Elite Gold

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 12:43pm »

Maybe coz u r so unique

Comment

shortfinals
                Founding SQTalker

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 2:29pm »

Originally posted by SQFAN
                Maybe coz u r so unique
                I have been told on more than one occasion by the crew that my erm "uniqueness" makes for a welcome distraction from the usual suit types.

Comment

9V-JKL
                  SQTalk Elite Gold

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 2:32pm »

I have been told on more than one occasion by the crew that my erm "uniqueness" makes for a welcome distraction from the usual suit types.
                  I don't doubt that

Comment

MANFlyer
                    Founding SQTalker

« Reply #9 on: Sep 12th, 2006, 09:28am »

Originally posted by jhm

That was Mafbarwhen we were having a drink in Harrys Bar on Boat Quay. He spotted a couple of his colleagues so we asked him to bring them over and intoroduce them. He agreed but told us not to mention we were PPS!!.

Comment

SQFAN
                      SQTalk Elite Gold

PPS in Y class? What treatment? More like no treatment as the norm.

Comment

jjpb3
                        Founding SQTalker

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16th, 2006, 8:08pm »

SQFAN wrotePS in Y class? What treatment? More like no treatment as the norm.
                        I think on crowded flights, you're right, SQFAN. I got the 'you've lost that loving feeling' level of service this time around. I got much better treatment on previous flights (when the front Y sub-cabin had empty seats). This time, no special deal. Well, until my SQ guardian angel arranged for a birthday cake to be delivered along with champers in Raffles glassware.

That and the birthday card cleverly fashioned from the flight's Y menu saved the flight. Otherwise, I wouldn't have wanted even to keep the menu, given how nondescript the service was. (Example: call button unanswered for over 10 minutes ... on more than one occasion!)

Comment

SQFAN
                          SQTalk Elite Gold

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 03:19am »

Originally posted by jjpb3
                          I think on crowded flights, you're right, SQFAN. I got the 'you've lost that loving feeling' level of service this time around. .....Well, until my SQ guardian angel arranged for a birthday cake to be delivered along with champers in Raffles glassware.
                          Yeah, You're right - I had that one special B'day flight cake with the help of the SQ guardian angel arrangement last year....

PPS 'service' in Y can be a hit and miss....LHR-SIN route is always busy but sometimes (very rarely) do you get not full chock a block flight. He he....maybe we expect too much, eh?

Comment

I've been thinking about this. Do I get worse treatment onboard as a PPS?
                            My answer is always no. (Am I consistent? )
                            But there is something that I learned recently. While taking the new J from SIN to CDG, after sleeping since departure, I woke up, and ended up hanging out at the galley. The Kebaya Blue girls seemed so reluctant to chit chat and a bit reserved. Then I had a great conversation with the LS since he used to work with an IFS that was on one of my previous flight. After that the blue girls started to be more easy going and not too afraid of me.
                            Well I got an expalanation from one of my SQ Angels that in general the Blue girls are a bit afraid of PPS. Afraid of making mistake. Afraid of upsetting the PPS. And yes, I recalled one of the Blue Girls told me about the experience in one of her flights. She was on duty in Y. One pax asked for newspapers which was not available. She said she would check and came back later. And the guy pulled up his PPS card and showed it to her by saying basically that he is the god of pax for being PPS. Anyway, since then, she was a bit afraid of any PPS on board. Poor Girl! I told her that I am harmless... (Note: I did see someone flashing his PPS card to the FA recently on my CGK-SIN flight. I don't know what's going on though.)

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              I've been thinking about this. Do I get worse treatment onboard as a PPS?
                              My answer is always no. (Am I consistent? )
                              But there is something that I learned recently. While taking the new J from SIN to CDG, after sleeping since departure, I woke up, and ended up hanging out at the galley. The Kebaya Blue girls seemed so reluctant to chit chat and a bit reserved. Then I had a great conversation with the LS since he used to work with an IFS that was on one of my previous flight. After that the blue girls started to be more easy going and not too afraid of me.
                              Well I got an expalanation from one of my SQ Angels that in general the Blue girls are a bit afraid of PPS. Afraid of making mistake. Afraid of upsetting the PPS. And yes, I recalled one of the Blue Girls told me about the experience in one of her flights. She was on duty in Y. One pax asked for newspapers which was not available. She said she would check and came back later. And the guy pulled up his PPS card and showed it to her by saying basically that he is the god of pax for being PPS. Anyway, since then, she was a bit afraid of any PPS on board. Poor Girl! I told her that I am harmless... (Note: I did see someone flashing his PPS card to the FA recently on my CGK-SIN flight. I don't know what's going on though.)
                              I always feel really sorry for the SQ crew when this kind of things happen though I haven't witnessed anything this extreem, someone pulling out his/her PPS card?!
                              All I can say to that, they (whoever is pulling out his/her PPS card) has a serious problem.
                              PPS or not the crews are doing a great job and should be treated with respect just as we want to be treated with respect in whatever job we do.

Comment

Working...
                              X