IFS greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFS greetings

Reading the discussion on the BA forum of TOF about the inconsistent BA CSD greeting to pax in J/F, I was just wondering what the position with SQ is ?

On my two F flights (NRT-LAX and ZRH-MAN-ZRH), the IFS took the time to say hello and, in the latter case (with me being the only pax to MAN), a 10-15 minute conversation about the new SQ F cabin I'd recently tried, the SQ crew's roster etc which was interrupted by the landing approach.

On my dozen or so J flights (with varying status from *S to PPS), I can't recall the IFS specifically coming up to say hello although he did help out with the service.

I've never sat in Y with any status but I understand from peoples' experiences told here and on TOF that a PPS will sometimes get special treatment (e.g. being addressed by name, meal choice first, a glass of champagne or coffee from Raffles etc) but I'm not sure about any IFS greeting.

I think IFS (or Inflight Service Manager on CX) greetings on CX are more consistent than on SQ. It seems like IFS greeting is not something they are trained/instructed to do (do correct me if I am wrong).

I have never been greeted by the IFS in Y, except for the one time he came over and offered my daughter an origami bird, which was a nice touch.

On CX, I have received greetings by ISM in Y several times as Marco Polo Green/Silver.

Comment

I have noticed on the SIN-LHR flights quite often the IFS does greet all the passengers in F but apart from that I have never known it to happen.

Back in Y I have had the FAs refer to me by name and had my meal first but have never had the IFS talk to me.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
        I think IFS (or Inflight Service Manager on CX) greetings on CX are more consistent than on SQ. It seems like IFS greeting is not something they are trained/instructed to do (do correct me if I am wrong).

I have never been greeted by the IFS in Y, except for the one time he came over and offered my daughter an origami bird, which was a nice touch.

On CX, I have received greetings by ISM in Y several times as Marco Polo Green/Silver.
        I'm not a traitor but i have to agree with StarG.
        CX is more consistent than SQ.

Based on my experiences, it seems that it's a *must* on CX (thinking of C/J) but only an *optional* on SQ (some IFS really do it, some others no)
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
          Based on my experiences, it seems that it's a *must* on CX (thinking of C/J) but only an *optional* on SQ (some IFS really do it, some others no)
          It happened to me consistently in Y as an Emerald on CX. I agree that the greeting adds a special feeling to the journey.

On SQ, I've only received the personal welcome in F (not dependent on status), and surprisingly, in Y as a QPP. In C, it seems the greeting comes as they confirm that they have loaded my BTC order. (The crew does really warm up as I interact more with them.) In the couple of times I've experienced the personal welcome in Y, it was the LSS who introduced herself and welcomed me, not the IFS, and this has only happened on my long-haul (SIN-LHR) segments.

And about the inconsistent BA greeting: I nearly fell out of my seat when it happened on BA (yes, Luke, an op-up ) on this trip. Not only was I merely the recipient of an op-up, but I was actually flying as (and was recognized and thanked for being) a partner's Sapphire (I used my CX number in the reservation). What a pleasant shock .
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            On SQ, I've only received the personal welcome in F (not dependent on status), and surprisingly, in Y as a QPP. In C, it seems the greeting comes as they confirm that they have loaded my BTC order. (The crew does really warm up as I interact more with them.) In the couple of times I've experienced the personal welcome in Y, it was the LSS who introduced herself and welcomed me, not the IFS, and this has only happened on my long-haul (SIN-LHR) segments.
            Oh yes... i flew a couple of times in Y (with PPS status i mean) and crew always welcomed me as PPS and they provided to me a great service. Everytime, at least two of the crew members introduced themselves to me, but never the IFS.
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              On my two F flights (NRT-LAX and ZRH-MAN-ZRH), the IFS took the time to say hello
              I suddenly remembered that I also recently flew SQ F HKG-SIN but no greeting from the IFS that I can remember (although the rest of the crew were great).

Comment

I've had one personal greeting from the IFS when sitting in SQ Y as a QPP. It happened on a MNL-SIN flight, and was a nice touch. No champagne sent back, though.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                  I've had one personal greeting from the IFS when sitting in SQ Y as a QPP. It happened on a MNL-SIN flight, and was a nice touch. No champagne sent back, though.
                  I've had the same thing on an MNL-SIN Y flight, but only because the female IFS remembered me from an earlier LHR-SIN flight i took in J. Very impressively she remembered that i wasn't feeling very well on that flight and also rememered i did not eat much then. Was very well taken care of that day, much to the chagrin of this SEN in 32C behind me who was very loudly complaining about everything on SQ. He must have mentioned the word Senator more times in that flight than I say in a whole year.

Comment

I've had personal greetings from the IFS on all (ok, its less than 10) my SQ F flights. Nothing in C and Y, although a couple of times in Y, the CSS has come up to greet a Solitaire sitting next to or within earshot of me.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
                      Oh yes... i flew a couple of times in Y (with PPS status i mean) and crew always welcomed me as PPS and they provided to me a great service. Everytime, at least two of the crew members introduced themselves to me, but never the IFS.
                      Hmmm, I have only received several 'introduction & welcome from cabin crew' in Y so far, but they do address me by name on most Y flights I take.

OT, the last flight on SQ F, I peeked on the passenger list hanging at the F galley as I was disembarking the aircraft. I saw that they didn't put "TPP" on my name, but they put down "LPP" and "QPP" on some other pax. I remember CGK told me that he experienced the same recently. Perhaps noting of FFP status is also less consistent on SQ?

On CX F (based on my limited experience), the cabin crew make it a point to note down passengers' statuses and even take meal orders accordingly (zigzagging across the cabin which was interesting to watch ).

Comment

Any greetings in Y for PPS members by any cabin crew (normally by the Chief Steward/ess) depends on the leadership and discretion of the IFS. Long delays on the ground before departure is one factor why they will take the time to do pre-flight greetings.

For one flight which I was greeted in Y pre-flight, I actually noticed they place a post-it pad on the food trolley indicating where the PPS members are sitting. This was meant for the FAs to address the PPS members when they serve the food. But normally the FAs are too busy serving food they would not bother to see the list everytime they serve the passengers.

I never recall being served food faster than anyone else in Y, even on flights with pre-flight greeting.

Comment

Originally posted by aerosmith View Post
                          Any greetings in Y for PPS members by any cabin crew (normally by the Chief Steward/ess) depends on the leadership and discretion of the IFS. Long delays on the ground before departure is one factor why they will take the time to do pre-flight greetings.
                          All the introductions and greetings I've received in Y have been during the flight itself. The only variation has been the timing: sometimes before the meal service (after the drinks service), sometimes after.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Since most of my flights are in on the 'right after entry' (ie Y ), I find SQ approach to be rather inconsistent.

Let see now, with around 12 return LHR-SIN flights, I have about 4 times when the FA in charge of the cabin section come to greet me by name. The service is radically different in that ... I was offered newspapers twice, coffee from J class once, greeted 4-5 times, given gifts (postcards and playing card) twice.

Now, I make it a point to especially thank the FA and explicitly state I appreciate the 'extra service' for their PPS club members as well as writing in to SQ, with names of said FAs.

All these small gestures does not cost SQ much but the goodwill generated will make sure guys like me will always find an excuse to fly SQ.

Comment

Just about a week after my last post on this thread, on my flight SQ156 today, the IFS came over to 31G to say hello, asking who am I travelling with today (my wife & kids were seated across the aisle at 31HJK), how was the food, if there's anything else I would need, etc.

He said his good bye, addressed me by name when disembarking through door 1.

Another excellent inflight service on SIN-CGK route.

Comment

Working...
                              X