Foie Gras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foie Gras

All I knew before reading this article on Travel + Leisure magazine was the yummy, melt-in-your-mouth pan fried goose liver with plum sauce.

I didn't know it is now a banned item in some states.

Found more information here:

Chicago Prohibits Foie Gras - New York Times

Banfoiegras.com

I heard that Peking Duck is 'prepared' similarly.

I know how foie gras is prepared but it doesn't stop me eating it. Who am I to criticise something which is perfectly normal and part of French culture when, in this country, we have battery hens etc.

Foie gras is delicious! The last time I had some was SQ F HKG-SIN as an alternative to caviar (which I don't care about).

Originally posted by StarG View Post
    I heard that Peking Duck is 'prepared' similarly.
    Actually, I think it may apply to more than just Peking Duck. My father told me once a story from his childhood in the New Territories in Hong Kong. The farmers would force feed chickens and ducks before taking them to market because the price they got depended on the weight of the poultry!

Comment

As Anthony Bourdain eloquently puts it: "If you're slower than me, stupider than me and you taste good..."

Most Americans have no sense of what good food is. Tell them to go eat at McDonalds while I enjoy my great food elsewhere.

Comment

This is nothing but a bunch of nonsense on behalf of several gov't officials.

If these politicians are going to ban certain animal products because of cruelty issues, why don't they ban the consumption of all animal products including eggs, chickens, beef, and pork altogether and be consistent.

I have absolutely no problems with Ozzies consuming Kangaroos & Crocodiles, Japanese & Norwegians consuming whale nor Koreans consuming dogs.
        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Too bad. Their loss. I like it and will continue to eat it.

Comment

Though I do limit the consumption of foie Gras for health purposes as the dish is extremely high in cholesterol.
            My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated
              Though I do limit the consumption of foie Gras for health purposes as the dish is extremely high in cholesterol.
              And yet it tastes oh-so-good when you have a great glass of wine to go along with it.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                And yet it tastes oh-so-good when you have a great glass of wine to go along with it.
                Mmmmm, this brings back memories of an absolutely divine ravioli filled with molten foie gras (together with, I think, a mango or passion fruit sauce) which I had at Arzak a few years ago - must visit again!

Comment

Working...
                X