Can incoming SQ C pax use UA domestic RCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can incoming SQ C pax use UA domestic RCC

sorry if this has been covered, but folks are very helpful here!

I am a UA 1P (=*G) and used to be an RCC member but chose not to renew it this year. I will be flying out of LAX TBIT on an SQ flight in C, so I know I can use the UA/*A lounge at TBIT on the outbound leg. When I return, I will also be coing into into LAX TBIT (again on an SQ C fare from SIN) and then on to SAN on UA on a CRJ (no C seats); can I use the UA RCC in United Terminal 6/7?

it seems that if I have my SQ C boarding pass and it's the same day, the answer is yes, but it would be good to hear from someone who has done something like this.

thanks

Originally posted by renault4 View Post

I am a UA 1P (=*G) and used to be an RCC member but chose not to renew it this year. I will be flying out of LAX TBIT on an SQ flight in C, so I know I can use the UA/*A lounge at TBIT on the outbound leg. When I return, I will also be coing into into LAX TBIT (again on an SQ C fare from SIN) and then on to SAN on UA on a CRJ (no C seats); can I use the UA RCC in United Terminal 6/7?

it seems that if I have my SQ C boarding pass and it's the same day, the answer is yes, but it would be good to hear from someone who has done something like this.

thanks
    You will have access to RCC at LAX.
    Just show them your SQ BP as well as UA BP (and 1P card).

If enforced as written, C BP will not get you the RCC access at LAX.
    International Business Class Customers: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.

* Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international Business Class on a Star Alliance flight
    * Customer must be departing from the local airport in International Business Class
    * Customer is not entitled to any guests
    But *G Card will.
    Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
    * Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
    * Customer is entitled to one guest
    * United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers are only eligible for lounge access when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight

Comment

thanks
      SAN-LAX-SIN
      From SAN you take UA to LAX. Arrive at UA terminal. SQ departs from TBIT. Why would you want to go to UA RCC first? I think it's better to head to TBIT and check-in with SQ, clear security, then wait for your flight in StarAlliance C Lounge.

SIN-LAX-SAN
      You will arrive at TBIT. Clear immigration and customs. Heading to UA terminal. I am not so sure whether you can use RCC because UA *G doesn't have access to domestic RCC. You need non-UA non-US *G status to gain access for RCC. I am not sure whether your SQ C BP will be accepted, since I don't think RCC is an arrival lounge.

For clarification: At LAX TBIT, there is only *A lounge. UA doesn't fly out from TBIT. UA uses Terminal 6, 7 and 8. UA RCC is located at Terminal 7.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        SAN-LAX-SIN
        From SAN you take UA to LAX. Arrive at UA terminal. SQ departs from TBIT. Why would you want to go to UA RCC first? I think it's better to head to TBIT and check-in with SQ, clear security, then wait for your flight in StarAlliance C Lounge.
        Agree with you here. Just head to TBIT and enjoy *A C lounge.
        Better than RCC anyways.

SIN-LAX-SAN
        You will arrive at TBIT. Clear immigration and customs. Heading to UA terminal. I am not so sure whether you can use RCC because UA *G doesn't have access to domestic RCC. You need non-UA non-US *G status to gain access for RCC. I am not sure whether your SQ C BP will be accepted, since I don't think RCC is an arrival lounge.
        UA *Gs do have RCC access when flying sameday international itinerary.
        So, OP would have access to RCC at LAX T7.
        No drink chits are given, though.

Comment

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
          Agree with you here. Just head to TBIT and enjoy *A C lounge.
          Better than RCC anyways.
          Yup, that was always the plan, did this last month. The *A lounge is not up to the par of other lounges at international locations or many US international departure points, but it is streets ahead of any domestic RCC.

Originally posted by kkjay77 View Post
          UA *Gs do have RCC access when flying sameday international itinerary.
          So, OP would have access to RCC at LAX T7.
          No drink chits are given, though.
          Great, I'll give it a try, and report back.

Thanks

Comment

The *A lounge is not up to the par of other lounges at international locations or many US international departure points, but it is streets ahead of any domestic RCC.
            Would you mind to state which US international departure points you meant?

Comment

that comes mostly from what I read here and on FlyerTalk. Somehow I thought I remembered being in an ANA lounge at SFO, but I just checked and they use the RCC, so I think that was their one at NRT.

Comment

I'm not the OP, but I'd say VS Club House at JFK is better than TBIT *A C lounge.

Comment

SAN-LAX-SIN
                  From SAN you take UA to LAX. Arrive at UA terminal. SQ departs from TBIT. Why would you want to go to UA RCC first?
                  If the connection in LAX is long then the RCC may be worth a visit. Even though the lounge is rubbish, it is still better than waiting around TBIT waiting for check in to open. But if connection isn't super long then I agree, head straight to TBIT is best.

Comment

NZ lounge at LAX T2 springs to mind as being a much better *A lounge than LAX TBIT.

Non-*A, the JFK VS CH, LAX ORD and JFK AA FLs are all better than LAX TBIT *A lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                      NZ lounge at LAX T2 springs to mind as being a much better *A lounge than LAX TBIT.

Non-*A, the JFK VS CH, LAX ORD and JFK AA FLs are all better than LAX TBIT *A lounge.
                      I agree with you. But my original question was based on the reply given by renault4 and yes, the answer from the OP was not surprising, i.e. based on reading.

that comes mostly from what I read here and on FlyerTalk. Somehow I thought I remembered being in an ANA lounge at SFO, but I just checked and they use the RCC, so I think that was their one at NRT.
                      Also remember that the original topic is related to connection between SQ and UA at LAX. Thus, the OP will not be able to experience NZ lounge at T2.
                      And if the OP has the experience connecting in SFO, again the case will be SKL vs UA RCC.
                      Furthermore, if the OP connects at JFK on SQ, since the post was about C Class and from the profile the status is KF EG, I don't think the OP will gain access to VS Clubhouse. Hence, unable to make comparison.

Comment

OP here,

This is my third year as a UA 1P and each time I barely make the cut. Most of my EQMs are earned on domestic US runs, with the odd international run to Europe or Japan thrown in every year (usually booked in Y though rarely on full Y fares). I travel largely on US federal govt regs, which rarely cover or allow C class or any bookings on non-US carriers. For about a year I was a member of the RCC, until my institution changed their policy about covering the membership cost (I could use miles to renew, but I am stingy!).

All this to profess that I would by no means consider myself an expert in Lounges or Air Carriers and have much to learn from excellent groups such as this! As I have mentioned elsewhere, I am considering an assignment with a US firm in KL, so I would hope to increase my mileage accrual beginning this year.

Whether it is the TBIT *A lounge or the UA RCCs, all of them have value in allowing one to duck out of the "madding crowds" and just get a chance to decompress. I would not call it a luxury, but I would hold it a privilege, as I would guess less than 10% of all air travellers have access to such facilities.

To clarify, I would guage the TBIT *A lounge as a distinct cut above most of the US domestic lounges from my (relatively) limited experience and definitely worth a visit if you are eligible, but it's not hard to see, from TRs here for example, that it is easily beat by some other US international lounges and handily by international lounges.

cheers all!

Comment

Working...
                        X