W Istanbul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W Istanbul

I'll be making my first trip to Istanbul in Feb - some good deals with the W istanbul is rather enticing..

but i'm concerned with the location - i'm there on business and need a convenient location.. Anyone's stayed at the W? appreciate any feedback..

Cheerios and happy new year! Leo

There's a thread on TOF about this property:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

From the feedback, it seems like a good location for shopping but not so good for other things.

I'll try to find out more when I stay there later this month.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for the response KeithMEL, I'm booked in from 8 - 11 Feb at a fantastic rate of 150 euro per night

Comment

W Istanbul
        Suleyman Seba Cad No: 22 • Akaretler, Beşiktaş

One of many fine distinguishing characteristics about the W brand is its unashamed lack of cultural authenticity. Ws are a recognition that what's important when traveling is a base of good design, gourmet food, and a place to partayy - and that not everyone wants to spend their nights at some quasi museum or art exhibition, or a plain and impersonal box. But it's even better when design hotels go one step further and attempt to reinvent, rejuvenate and reinterpret local culture. Beyond merely incorporating some aspects of the host culture, the W Istanbul is whimsical style meets Ottoman Empire chic.

Situated amongst designer shopping in the fasionable district of Besiktas, the W Istanbul is adjacent to the iconic Akaretler Row which comprises high end boutiques, such as Jimmy Choo, Paul Smith, Marc Jacobs, Mandarina Duck amongst others. Perfect for shopaholics like myself! Nightlife in Taksim and more shopping in Nisantasi are a mere < 10 minutes' drive away, whilst a 15-20 mins cab ride takes you to various cultural attractions in Sultanahmet.

Because the W Istanbul is part of a restored complex, the Aklaretler Row Houses – there aren’t any vast public spaces. Instead, the Welcome Desk and Whatever/Whenever Desks, the W Lounge (what the Living Room is called here) and the in-house restaurant Jean Georges’ Spice Market are each housed in different rooms quite separate from each other. Complimentary internet in the W Lounge as well as the ground floor. The distinct spaces detracts from the overall iconic W atmosphere somewhat as you don’t feel like you’re immediately walking into happening party central upon entering, OTOH it has a rather cozy and intimate boutique hotel feel to it. YMMV.

Welcome Desk/ground floor foyer

Whatever/Whenever

W Lounge

one of my 2 fave drinks here – the mango bellini; the other being the kumquat mojito

Spice Market by Jean Georges

I paid EUR180/night for a Wonderful Room but was upgraded to a rather good sized Studio Suite, which is actually, like most junior suites, a large room with sitting area. Perhaps I’ve been spoilt by the W Hong Kong, but the lack of huge surround-sound stereo systems here was a bit disappointing and seem rather un-W in this day and age. The sounds of Wonderlust just didn’t sound the same with the pathetic CD player they had in the suite. I loved the v minimalist yet practically designed showers and basin area. The toilet was separate from the showers which is handy if travelling with someone else. The Wonderful Bed was comfy as usual. Ottoman touches enhanced the sensuality of the room with splashes of red. I also had a little balcony which looked out to Akaretler Row. There’s also nightly turndown service.

The lifts

Sexily dark hallways
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 January 2009, 02:57 AM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Different lighting modes – all at the touch of a button

Welcome platter for PLTs – green apples and bottle of water - a bit pedestrian IMO

comp mojito

indeed

Last edited by KeithMEL; 27 January 2009, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Service was nothing short of awesome at this property. Apparently I had a note in my profile stating that I liked mojitos (i suspect from the W Hong Kong), and was offered a mojito on the house at check in which was sent up to my room. There’s an Aveda spa here rather than Bliss. My casual comment to the Welcome Desk agent about how much I’m a fan of Bliss bath products prompted the appearance of a nice little bag of Bliss goodies in my room along with a lovely note from the W Insider who “heard” that I’m a Bliss fan. Whatever/Whenever, as I’ve come to expect from Ws, excelled at nightlife recommendations and bookings; not only were they efficient but you do feel the wuv’ when they start giving tips and suggestions to enhance your experience. For instance, I had a daily club list guide sent up to my room every day totally unprompted, with helpful handwritten notes by the concierge.

Food at Spice Market was delish, though I was a little apprehensive at first as IME Jean Georges’ establishments lack quality control sometimes and can vary wildly. Asian fusion served here at rather reasonable pricing – though choice of wines v uninspired.

Wednesday nights are a big party night in Istanbul, and the W Lounge also revs up with their own Wednesdays@W Lounge party. Great mix of W guests, tourists and glamourous locals at the party, and it was totally packed to the rafters. Superb DJing, always a plus. Bookings for tables are taken but I was simply content to mingle with the crowd.

Summing up the W Istanbul in one word? Hotness...

Comment

Those are some interesting mirror frames in the rooms there. I dig the hallway lighting, though. Excellent review as always, KeithMEL!
              HUGE AL

Comment

fantastic! I'm so looking forward to my trip (although dates have changed) but I really got a better rate (c4e) at approx 125 euro p/night..

thanks for the heads up again KeithMEL

Comment

KeithMEL, I find the W Istanbul rather harem-like from your pics. Your 'sexily dark hallways and lifts with their pink neon lights are rather 'atmospheric'.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

Whatever/Whenever
                    This is the same image in the Feb 09 issue of the Silver Kris Magazine!

Comment

I was just checking my reservation on my SPG a minute ago and realised that the "Fantastic Suite" has been preblocked

Comment

Congrats, enjoy the W! (oh and your trip too...)

Comment

Thanks a whole lot

I wonder what an "Open Bathroom Concept" is? DND when i am showering to prevent "accidental" housekeepers? LOL

A little OT, I've also been preblocked in a Deluxe Suite at the Grande Bretagne in Athens, and the Westin Guest Office in Westin Zagreb.

Comment

Thanks for the pics, KeithMEL and congrats on the upgrade, Leo!

It's surely nice to have another SPG property over in IST, and one that's more conveniently located to the major sights at that! I just wish the W was open when I was there...

Comment

I really would have to say that even the locals agree (at least three hotel concierges who were 'in the know') that the W Istanbul is not as 'convenient' as one might think. In fact, most agreed it wasn't for what the normal tourist/businessperson would be looking for.

If you want to be near the centre of all the action - centre of all the action hereby being defined as: Taksim place, there are other hotels more convenient to it that are within walking distance (the W is not) / a stone's throw away.

It's important to realise <10 mins by taxi can get you quite far in Istanbul. <15 mins will get you just about anywhere, and 20-odd mins will get you to the airport (unless you take the elevated highway that goes around the other way, then it's 30 mins).

Having also dropped by the W Istanbul on the 3rd of Jan this month, I would have to say the location is only 'convenient' if you aren't roaming major/touristy areas like Sultanahmet, Ortakuy, Taksim - make no mistake: it isn't 'near' the famous Chamberlitas or Cayagoglu hamams either, since those are also the same distance (if not nearer) from the Taksim area.

It is an interesting hotel, to be sure, good party atmosphere too (I stopped by in the evening) - it's great.

If all you want is a drink/coffee along this stretch of road (read: not going to be cheap/perhaps reasonable to some)/to be seen (which is perfectly fine, even KeithMEL has previously said that's what he looks for in the hotels he patrons)/shopping for designer/expensive/couture labels, then the W Istanbul is for you.

If you are a culture vulture, there are more ideally situated hotels.

To qualify my statement, here are hotels nearer to my above definiton of 'action': The Marmara or the IC Ceylan Istanbul (have stayed here) near Taksim Place, the Ibis/Novotel (have stayed here) is much nearer to Sultanahmet (and many smaller options too), and the Kempinski for Ortakuy.
                              Last edited by Kyo; 3 February 2009, 11:10 AM. Reason: Edited for Clarity

Comment

Working...
                              X