X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel V Frederiksplein, Amsterdam

Hotel V Frederiksplein, Amsterdam
    Weteringschans 136

The only Starwood property in Amsterdam happens to be the Hotel Pulitzer, which I didn't really enjoy on my last stay as it was one of those rather historic hotels. So as I've managed to requalify as SPG Platinum for 2009, I decided to stay 'outside the box.' A little research soon led me to the Hotel V, described on its website as a hip design hotel. Yet its rates are relatively low compared to the other ones I looked at, and targetted at the budget yet style conscious traveller like the Hoxton Hotel in London or the aLoft concept. There are 2 Hotel V properties and because the Frederiksplein was closer to restaurants and nightlife, that's the one I picked.

The property is located in a rather central location to all the happening places. There's the nightlife on Rembrandtplein and Leidseplein, restaurants and cool shops on Utrechtsestraat, and more yummy eats found on Prinsengracht. There's a tram stop in front of the hotel with a couple of different tram lines running through, as well as a taxi stand nearby.

You arrive into the rather black-themed lobby, with the cafe/bar right next to the reception desk. Complimentary brekky is served at the cafe every morning, though v limited range. You also get a voucher for a complimentary drink at the bar. Additionally, wifi is free anywhere in the hotel along with Mac terminals in the lobby.

The black theme continued throughout the entire hotel, giving the place a sensual edge.

I paid a mere EUR99 per night for a Large Double Room. It was cozy but of an adequate size. I'm glad I forked out a bit more as anything smaller would've been a broom closet. The design blends the Dutch 'canal house' feel with a rather whimsical and minimalist decor. V comfy bed. Bathroom was a little cramped though. My favourite feature of all is the rather cool mobile closet.

Service was great; staff were v efficient, eager to help, and v knowledgeable about the local area.

Not much frills at this hotel, but for the v low rates I didn't expect much. My chief complaints were 1) the tiny lift (could just about fit my suitcase and I); 2) that the lift didn't reach the top floor which was incidentally where my room was, so I had to drag my suitcase up the stairs a floor (no other rooms available apparently); 3) the yucky bath amenities (my Bliss and Aveda travel packs to the rescue). OTOH I could overlook these things for the great value rates and the funky decor.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 December 2008, 04:15 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

1) the tiny lift (could just about fit my suitcase and I);
    2) that the lift didn't reach the top floor which was incidentally where my room was, so I had to drag my suitcase up the stairs a floor (no other rooms available apparently);
    3) the yucky bath amenities

This is very typical of the Dutch hotels in Amsterdam as most of the buildings there are extremely narrow and tall. Elevators are really an afterthought, they still use them hooks at the top of the building to haul large things upstairs.

I thoroughly enjoy your TR and hotel reviews, please do keep it up... Are you heading to KUL anytime? hehe!

Comment

Working...
    X