Recommendation: Japanese restaurant in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation: Japanese restaurant in Singapore

I guess this will complement the thread on the best ramen in Singapore. I'd like to take my dad out to a good Japanese dinner when we visit Singapore. Any recommendations? (I probably need a restaurant where children wouldn't be out of place so that I can invite my brother and his family along.)

Thanks in advance.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

How much would you like to spend? Do you prefer raw, fried, teppanyaki, shabu shabu?

You could try Central where there's a number of Japanese restaurants each offering different types of Japanese food.
    OR
    Izakaya Nijumaru at Cuppage Plaza where the Japanese hang out
    OR
    Tonkichi at Takashimaya 5th floor for really good Tonkatsu
    OR
    Aburiya at Robertson Quay; which I believe you've been for BBQ
    OR
    Megumi in Clementi which is sadly a bit out of the way.
    Last edited by 9V-JKL; 4 December 2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

The best Japanese restaurant I have ever had in Singapore is located at the back of Shaw House Building (where Isetan is the anchor tenant - opposite Marriott Singapore). We were there with a bunch of our kids - no problem.
      Excellent food quality & the taste is similar to what you get at better establishments in Japan.
      That said, prices are on high side and is not a place we can stuff ourselves full with sashimi and sushi.

www.aoki-restaurant.com.sg

http://www.timeoutsingapore.com/rest.../Japanese/aoki

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/aoki_restaurant/

Comment

phaleesy and I went to (at her suggestion ) Shiro in Bukit Timah which was okay but not fabulous. It was a bit pretentious as you have to ring the doorbell to get them to unlock the front door. And phaleesy could hear that the lady taking the booking on the phone was slightly taken aback when asked how to get there by bus!

For a more authentic Japanese experience, we've tried the branch of Nadaman at the S-L hotel. We ate at the sushi bar and it was okay (e.g. they had fugu/blowfish if you want to try that) and quite expensive (to be expected for such a place). It's a cavernous room so not a small and intimate atmosphere.

I appreciate that jjpb3 is taking out his dad so not the same but personally, I'd skip a formal Japanese dinner in Singapore and either:

(i) eat lunch instead at the Japanese food court in Takashimaya. Much more fun to go round sampling the various things; or

(ii) find somewhere (if it exists in Singapore) which does okonomiyaki where you can (like in Japan) sit in front of the hot plate and cook it yourself.

(Monjayaki is fun (and good to eat) as well but I guess there's even less chance of finding that in Singapore.)

Comment

I'd recommend Takumi Tokyo. It's a tad out of the way, being at the Marina @ Keppel Bay. Uniformly excellent food & service however, every time I've been there, both on business and personal visits.

Info & directions here:
          http://www.marinakeppelbay.com/CH_FB.asp

Comment

I would recommend Keyaki @ Pan Pacific but I think a better choice for your situation :

family with children, casual but high value for money and run by Japanese owners/chefs , Himawari

Comment

Location is in the CBD, but taking into account all of your requests - I would recommend Honjin on Robinson Rd. If you prefer somewhere around Orchard for walking around, this is not the right recommendation for you. If you want to eat until you feel like passing out at the hotel, check this place out - ask for a private room, it's an ala-carte buffet, so kids will also love it...

The seafood is flown in every other day direct from Japan, and the ala-carte portions are small and cooked/sliced to order.

Don't bother going for the ala-carte by itself (it's not worth it). Go for the ala-carte buffet. It's around $50 per person, kids probably less (but it's *beyond* good value if you get one of their credit card promos).

And they regularly do credit card promos also (well, it's been a couple of months since I was last there).

For what you have in mind, I think it fits the bill perfectly. Having a little room to yourself will also give everyone more privacy which is always welcome with the little ones around.

Pls note - this is not by any means the ultimate/authentic Japanese restaurant in Singapore. And since I subscribe to the *it's a hotel restaurant, therefore disqualified!* philosophy, I'd have to recommend standalone restaurants for 'ultimate' like:
              1) Nanbantei at Far East Plaza for the yakitori (get the old guy, and you're in for a treat - beware the prices, however)
              2) Ken's at Cuppage for the ramen ($12 - $18, depends if you order alcohol)
              3) Sushi Kikuzawa at International Building next to Isetan for a great lunch (go for the buffet option) comprising of authentically prepared, Jap-style sushi (yes, including 'fugu' and even abalone sushi, I kid you not) for sub-$35

Aburiya is also a nice place to hang out - but like Tonkichi, they don't have the "wow, this is Japanese food as it actually is, in Japan!" factor. Just a difference of opinion - no one's right or wrong, of course.

All my recommendations are popular with office people (generally) who are regulars (I do pop by Orchard to meet clients from time to time, so have been introduced to the above places), but I couldn't say any of these are suitable for kids really.

If there's something you specifically want to eat, e.g. just tempura, or okonomiyaki (don't know one with monjayaki, unfortunately!), do feel free to ask and will try to recommend alternatives.

And I'm glad no one suggested Waraku.

Comment

Originally posted by kyo
                If there's something you specifically want to eat, e.g. just tempura, or okonomiyaki (don't know one with monjayaki, unfortunately!), do feel free to ask and will try to recommend alternatives.
                Not in this thread but by PM perhaps - Kyo, you'll have to tell me where you take clients for nyotaimori in Singapore.

Comment

Haha... let the clients handle that, naughty boy... I am too innocent to know what you are talking about!

Or who to contact, hehe!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    And I'm glad no one suggested Waraku.
                    I won't suggest Waraku either but Waraku does have on its menu the Mentai Potato which can be quite close to Monjayaki.

Comment

The best Japanese restaurant in Singapore must be Santoro. It is located at one corner on the 2nd level of the Amara Hotel. why is it the best, well it is because the Lee family endorses it. On entering the the restaurant, you will see pictures of the Chef, taken with the old man and his sons... there was a TV program, last year if i remember correctly, where renowed chef cooked for famous people in Singapore. The Chef from the restuarant flew to Japan, for marketing, bought the fresh ingredients, came back the next day and cooked. The dinner was served to the family in the 2nd son's home.... all these shown on TV, which I thought was bad publicity.... anyways, I have done dinner at the restaurant, the whole meal done by this Chef and I must say, it was delicious...... the next few post will be pictures of the dinner I had.
                      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Starters

Followed by Soup

Then some sushi...

Followed with tempura...

Comment

Now for the Main course(s)

This must be baked oyster...

Some tofu thingy

A fancy named fish?????

Soup again, think it was sharks fin ...

More sushi..

Lastly.....

It was a good dinner, of course plenty of sake .... by the time I had the last, I was tipsy.... staggered out of the restaurant...

Comment

Definitely has to be Nogawa. Its a Japanese restaurant at the Le Meridien on Orchard road. Started by the famous Nogawa-san, known as Singapore's sushi master who's trained many of the island's current sushi chefs. He's even got a restaurant over at the Japanese association building. Singapore's top figures like Lee Kuan Yew and President Nathan have been diners there as well. Just so fresh and the overall quality is right up there with the best in Tokyo or Osaka!
                            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Wow so many other Japanese restaurants to try in Singapore.
                              It seems we have so many Japanese food lovers here.

Comment

Working...
                              X