Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AMS] Upcoming report about SKL AMSTERDAM NL

Hello everybody!

As a Dutch based traveller i usually find the information about SQ-activities in the Netherlands quite non-excistent on the internet so i decided to start doing some posts here about SQ in the Netherlands and about my upcoming SQ travel. I will travel the 17th december 2008 on SQ 323 in business class (J) so i will have access to the SKL Amsterdam.

I've been there before twice:
    1) when i was about 10 yrs old, my mom knew the checkin supervisor when SQ still had their own ground staff in Amsterdam. She managed to received an invitation for her family into the SKL even though flying in Y without any FFP-status
    2) when graduated from senior high, i got the choice of a Breitling watch or flying as chaperone with grandma on SQ from AMS-SIN-SOC in Rafless Class vv. as a graduation present. Needless to say my natural curiosity about what happens behind the curtain when it closes inflight made me choose instantly for the latter option! Unfortunatly it was the age of no digital cameras so i don't have any pictures of it!

SQ website gives this as information about SKL Amsterdam:
    http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...es/skl_ams.jsp

Welcome to SilverKris Lounge - Amsterdam

Take a break from your travels - come and enjoy our SilverKris Lounge.

Take advantage of the following:
    • A well-equipped business centre
    • Phone lines for laptop Internet access
    • A wide variety of hot and cold drinks and premium alcoholic beverages
    • A self-service food buffet, including instant noodles, fruit salads, Dutch cookies, and nuts

First Level
    Between Pier F and E
    (Airside)

Major Facilities

Internet Access
    Luggage Area
    TV Area

Lounge Access (based on departing flight)

First Class
    Business Class
    Singapore Airlines PPS Club, Solitaire
    Singapore Airlines PPS
    Elite Gold, Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
    Star Alliance Gold
    (please refer to respective membership guides for access conditions)

Opening Hours

Daily: 0750 to 1150 hours
    (subject to flight schedule changes)

Recalling from my mermories i still remember:
    1) Both times the loungedragon was the same tall almost giant blond elder woman who was very friendly in both english and dutch. She asked every guest if she can show the facilities and i did remember she made flight announcments.
    2) During my first stay i noticed a very tall decorated christmas tree and christmas adornements across the lounge (we were traveling in the x-mas season then)
    3) It's kind of a hike to the SKL when travelling with grandma. It took at least a 15 min walk and ellevator usage because it is on the 2nd level of terminal 3 departures. SQ usually departs from the G-gates which is in elderly terms almost walking the marathon from the SKL. Luckly the lounge dragon called forth a chariot (the cart) so we were driven off to our gate
    4) The entrance looks dark but the SilverKris logo is immensely lit-up visible behing the lounge dragon's desk
    5) Drinks included alchoholic as far as i remember Bailey's, Grand Marnier and red / white wine. Softdrinks were available canned from the fridges. Water was bottled in Evian and Perrier. Napkins and wedges of lemons were available. Coffee and hot water were available from machines as well as an assortiment of different tea bag flavours. All was self-service. Cutlery surprisingly was of First Class; the heavy silver/steel like ones. (I still have some in drawers at home, i was allowed to take those when i asked politly kinda embarrassed)
    6) Foodwise, Dutch stroopwafels and other biscuits were available and instant cupnoodles. I can't remember clearly if sandwiches were offered but i do know no hot foods were available. (As SQ leaves mornings from AMS and the Dutch usually have a continental breakfast, hot foods would be kind of a waste)
    7) Lounge had dark blue sofas, 4 grouped around a round table. Toilettes are available inside the lounge and the handtowels were soft fluffy ones and not of the brown recyclable sawdust paper variety at Amsterdam airport.

The 17th December 2008 i will visit this lounge again with mr. Allegro25 Sr. Are there any special requests or details i should photograph, observe, ask, try, write about etc. for you guys?

I know Amsterdam is only a secondary EU-destination city so this SKL might not be visited that often by others but nevertheless i still think it deserves to be spotlighted. Moreover after a quick search on google i found out SQ is the ONLY star alliance carrier with its own lounge at AMS making it automatic the only *G lounge available at Ams.

If internet is available i will try to post directly from the lounge itself on the 17th.
    Any remarks or suggestions are kindly appreciated!

Welcome to SQTalk, Allegro25.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

There nothing fancy about the SKL in Amsterdam... IMHO, that lounge is just a room with a few sofa seats, some food, drinks and coffee in one corner.... newspapers, reading material.... it was a disapointment when I was there..... will probably not fly through Amsterdam if I could,... what a hassle it was going through that airport...

oh yes, welcome aboard Allegro25....
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        There nothing fancy about the SKL in Amsterdam... IMHO, that lounge is just a room with a few sofa seats, some food, drinks and coffee in one corner.... newspapers, reading material.... it was a disapointment when I was there..... will probably not fly through Amsterdam if I could,... what a hassle it was going through that airport...

oh yes, welcome aboard Allegro25....
        While I agree it's nothing fancy, I was actually quite fond of the SKL in AMS when you could access SKL's at any time as QPP prior to the cutbacks. It made a nice change being able to go in and read the ST and other papers not available in the KL lounges nearby.

A bit surprised to head you think Schiphol is a hassle. It's one of my favourite European airports.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          A bit surprised to head you think Schiphol is a hassle. It's one of my favourite European airports.
          Same here, the SKL there may not be much to write home about, but I'll take AMS over most other major EU gateways in a heartbeat!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

While I agree it's nothing fancy, I was actually quite fond of the SKL in AMS when you could access SKL's at any time as QPP prior to the cutbacks. It made a nice change being able to go in and read the ST and other papers not available in the KL lounges nearby.

Originally posted by fimo View Post
            Same here, the SKL there may not be much to write home about, but I'll take AMS over most other major EU gateways in a heartbeat!
            My last experience at AMS was embarassing....

I disembarked from a SQ flight, one of the first to be out of the plane. There were immigration officers at the end of the aerobridge. Stopped me and ask to look at my passport. The first officer opened the passport, saw that I had many stamps, EU and others in the pages, began taking a closer look. He then passed it on to another more senior officer, who was really scrutinising it, even with magnifying glass, on the photgraph page. Stood there for half an hour, with them questioning me as to the reasons for the frequent trips etc etc, I was not even going into Holland, it was a transit stop. I was in a hurry too as i have a next flight to catch..... passengers who were disembarking were staring at me, wondering what criminal offence I had committed etc etc... pissed off.

One time I had to catch a flight from Amsterdam, I took a train from Antwerp to the airport. Going through security, I was stopped and was given a thorough search, with dogs....damned....

I don't know, but Amsterdam is not the airport for me..... maybe I have this oriental drug courier look...... try as much, I will avoid Amsterdam unless necessary.
            This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

SO OP, Any pics of the SKL in AMS? Will be flyign through there in a month's time and it's the first time I am using SQ from AMS to SIN (company normally flies me on KL or AF due to ongoing agreements).

IMHO, AMS is probably the best EU hub as compared to CDG (which I hate with a passion), FRA or CPH (not sure why I am not a fan of CPH, maybe it's because it looks like Ikea had a hand in the overall design 50 years ago...). THe only down side if you are a smoker, AMS has a tiny smoking "box" in the non-Schengen area. However, if you have access to the KLM Crown Lounge then there is a smoking area there...
              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk. The pictures can be found here starting from post 22.

Comment

Thanks!
                  God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Working...
                  X