BTC in F on SQ227, 863 and 318

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BTC in F on SQ227, 863 and 318

I have some upcoming Flights and wondered whether I was considering the right things:

SQ405 DEL-SIN - no book the cook
    SQ227 SIN-MEL - overnight so try a Yu Pian Mi Fen for breakfast
    SQ863 HKG-SIN - abalone and mushroom in oyster sauce with flat noodles
    SQ318 SIN-LHR - I presume I can choose two dishes for this flight - I'd propose Chicken Curry Peranakan and Kyo Kaiseki

Any thoughts on the wisdom of these choices?

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
    I have some upcoming Flights and wondered whether I was considering the right things:

SQ227 SIN-MEL - overnight so try a Yu Pian Mi Fen for breakfast
    SQ318 SIN-LHR - I presume I can choose two dishes for this flight - I'd propose Chicken Curry Peranakan and Kyo Kaiseki

Any thoughts on the wisdom of these choices?
    SQ 227 SIN-2100 MEL-0715* (Dinner and Continental Breakfast Service)

It's only 7 hours flight, shorter than SQ221 SIN-SYD. I don't really know what you plan during the flight. But the full dinner service will take hours. Thus, I would rather sleep afterwards till prior to arrival rather than being woken up for breakfast. This old man needs the sleep! But,, yeah I know someone who ate big meal after taking off from SIN, and had laksa prior to land in NRT on SQ638 (shorter flight time). So perhaps Mr. H can handle full dinner service meals and 2 or 3 hours later have Yu Pian Mi Fen. I tried this dish before. Like noodle soup right? (If my memory serves me right.)

SQ 853 HKG-1330 SIN-1720 (Lunch Service)

Why not trying the Chinese set menu onboard? Have you tried it before? I know the catering uploads limited amount, but if you can convey the message to the LSS or LS that you really want to try shi quan shi mei they might hold one for you.

The sample of the menu is like this.

Last time I bought roast goose from HKG and had some on board in addition to the main course I had.

SQ 318 SIN-1255 LHR-1855 (Lunch and Light Meal)

This one is a bit tricky. It used to be lunch and dinner prior to arrival in London. But now it's light meal. Here is an example of the menu.

What I will do if I take this flight is to order "heavy" meal for the light meal. For me, chicken curry peranakan is fulfilling enough, but many friends of mine would say the beef or rack of lamb would be better choice.
    Regarding kyo-kaiseki, I don't find it as a good choice ex-SIN. I don't know why, but seems too cold and not tasty. (Well, hopefully nickbots can post what they did in their flight SQ318 last July before it became A380.

Comment

Thanks SQ LPP - some thinking to do...

Disappointing about the catering on the SQ318 - you'd think for a daylight flight of that length they'd do two full meals.

Should have said - my plan on the SIN-MEL flight is to eat in the city and try to sleep straight away on the plane. Then have the soup for breakfast. I'm not good at sleeping on planes so I don't imagine anyone will have to try very hard to wake me - but I'd sacrifice a bowl of soup for a good night's sleep!

Comment

Should have said - my plan on the SIN-MEL flight is to eat in the city and try to sleep straight away on the plane. Then have the soup for breakfast. I'm not good at sleeping on planes so I don't imagine anyone will have to try very hard to wake me - but I'd sacrifice a bowl of soup for a good night's sleep!
        If you are not good in sleeping on the plane, why not enjoy the dinner and stay awake for your soup?
        BTW, fish ball kway teow soup is also good, as well as laksa.
        Disappointing about the catering on the SQ318 - you'd think for a daylight flight of that length they'd do two full meals.
        If I am not mistaken, even though it's light meal as second meal service, you can still pick a BTC. Thus, you can have something more fulfilling rather than the "an uninspiring light meal" (according to a PM from one of SQTalkers). I would go for the beef, rack of lamb or chicken curry peranakan. For the later, being Asian, chicken curry and rice is fulfilling enough for my dinner meals.
        Since you mention you like soup, the Snack service in between lunch and light meal service, they usually serve noodle soup. I like the doo doo noodles - fish ball with rice vermicelli soup.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. I confess when I first opened the HKG menu link I didn't scroll down and wondered what I was missing. Second try and I spotted it. I will certainly go for the shi quan shi mei. Is it guaranteed that they'll have it or should I book the abalone just in case?

I'll also think again about the kyo kaiseki - perhaps try the laksa instead. But the chicken curry peranakan sounds like a good one to go for.

I still intend to eat heartily in the city before the MEL flight. I have five hours layover and I count food as one of the real joys of travelling. I'd much rather forego the SQ luxury and have a good Peranakan meal or eat at the Tekka Centre hawker market or eat a mutton curry with my fingers instead. These are things I simply can't do in Edinburgh. Singapore is one of my favourite cities and it's a shame that most tourists don't look beneath the surface. It would be criminal to be half way around the world and not enjoy their (your?) wonderful food. Maybe I'll sleep on the plane, maybe I won't, but I should be shattered after a very early start from DEL!

Gosh, I wish I were rich and could do this more often!

Comment

Shi quan shi mei is always available for your flight. I am not so sure the average of how many uploaded by the caterer. That's why you should inquire nicely about it to the crew first. And yes, you still can BTC and tell the crew that you would rather forgo the BTC because the shi quan shi mei looks more appetising.

Indeed, even for 3 or 4 hours I always try to have some local foods. (Many SQTalkers here have seen me crazy in eating certain local favorites! Even more snacks to carry on board as well. ) But again, my body clock has always been ready for the full dinner service such as on your flight time frame (took SIN-SYD or SIN-AKLmany times). Thus, I was not completely forgo the SQ F hospitality! Perhaps you will not get shattered on flight, but have more spirits to stay awake enjoying the excellent service from the crew. AFAIK, with this short flight time, the crew would not have time to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
              Regarding kyo-kaiseki, I don't find it as a good choice ex-SIN. I don't know why, but seems too cold and not tasty.
              Thanks for the advice. I would definitely not BTC kyo-kaiseki.

If I am not mistaken, even though it's light meal as second meal service, you can still pick a BTC. Thus, you can have something more fulfilling rather than the "an uninspiring light meal" (according to a PM from one of SQTalkers). I would go for the beef, rack of lamb or chicken curry peranakan. For the later, being Asian, chicken curry and rice is fulfilling enough for my dinner meals.
              Since you mention you like soup, the Snack service in between lunch and light meal service, they usually serve noodle soup. I like the doo doo noodles - fish ball with rice vermicelli soup.
              So we could BTC two meals for SQ318?

Is the snack service called Light Bites (from the menu posted by Nickbot)?

So I could really eat one full meal, go for noodle soup after a few hours, then have my second meal just before landing?

Kiasu question. Would it be too cheeky if I doggy bag my second meal The curry or laksa would be so comforting when I reach home.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                So we could BTC two meals for SQ318?

Is the snack service called Light Bites (from the menu posted by Nickbot)?

So I could really eat one full meal, go for noodle soup after a few hours, then have my second meal just before landing?

Kiasu question. Would it be too cheeky if I doggy bag my second meal The curry or laksa would be so comforting when I reach home.
                AFAIK, yes you can do two BTCs for SQ318, one for lunch and one for light meals. Same list as shown in the web. It's similar to SQ11 LAX-NRT which serves lunch and light meals as well.

In the menu, the light bites are the snack service between two meals. Light bites offer noodle soup, sandwiches and snacks stuff.

I have never done a doggie bag except for the cakes. I think looking at the time of arrival, you are better off having the curry peranakan or laksa prior to land. It would be good to complete the experience onboard SQ.

Comment

I think looking at the time of arrival, you are better off having the curry peranakan or laksa prior to land. It would be good to complete the experience onboard SQ.
                  I would have a more than complete SQ experience if I have my main meal for lunch, have two bowls of noodles for snack, then continue my SQ experience when I reach home.

Comment

I would have a more than complete SQ experience if I have my main meal for lunch, have two bowls of noodles for snack, then continue my SQ experience when I reach home.
                    I have a flight on BD back to EDI to take the gloss off my SQ experience before I reach home.

Comment

I have a flight on BD back to EDI to take the gloss off my SQ experience before I reach home.
                      And I have a drive round the M25 during peak hours before reaching home!

Comment

BTW, some flyers think I am crazy when I prefer doo doo noodles for my breakfast!
                        But come to think of it, the crew once offered me the BTC nasi biryani to take home (it was SQ26) when I decided not to have breakfast that morning. May be because I was the real pita onbaoard that night?

Well you can stay one night in London. Go to Bayswater for the infamous roast duck to complete your SQ experience!

Comment

For me, the "light meals" I've had on the day flights to Europe in F have been very filling and in no ways did I feel hungry afterwards. The drawback compared to the "full meals" is there are less choices and no soup & salad. But the portion is more than genereous (at least for me). Yes you can BTC for light meals but portion size won't be much of a difference from the portion you'd get for the light meal main course. Of course if you ask which I prefer, I would prefer a "full meal" as a broader range of variety never hurts.

Still if one feels that what's being offered for light meals is insufficient, one can always opt for something from the snack menu a couple of hours before they start serving the light meal.
                          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Thanks for the good advice - the deed is done. I have ordered:

SQ227 SIN-MEL - yu pian mi fen
                            SQ318 SIN-LHR - chicken curry and laksa

I will ditch the abalone if I can get the shi quan shi mei. The chap on the phone didn't recognize the chicken curry peranakan style, but said there was chicken curry. I presume that is the one, right?

Comment

The chap on the phone didn't recognize the chicken curry peranakan style, but said there was chicken curry. I presume that is the one, right?
                              These are the list that the agent sees in their screen:

1. BCKCR - CHICKEN CURRY
                              2. BCKRM - CHICKEN RICE
                              3. BCLBZ - CHILEAN BASS AND ZUCCHINI PASTA
                              4. BCRFB - CURRY FISH BALLS
                              5. BDWYR - DUCK WITH YAM RICE
                              6. BERES - EIGHT OZ RIB EYE STEAK
                              7. BFBKT - FISHBALL KWAY TEOW
                              8. BFPRM - FISH PORRIDGE
                              9. BFRCB - FREE RANGE CHICKEN BREAST
                              10. BFSCK - FISH SOUFFLE AND SPICY MINCED CHICKEN
                              11. BKYKS - KYO KAISEKI
                              12. BLKSA - LAKSA
                              13. BLSTM - LOBSTER THERMIDOR
                              14. BNSBY - NASI BIRYANI
                              15. BNSLM - NASI LEMAK
                              16. BPPSF - PAPPARDELLE WITH SEAFOOD
                              17. BRRLM - ROAST RACK OF LAMB WITH MINT JUS
                              18. BRVGT - ROASTED VEGETABLES
                              19. BSSMS - SEARED SALMON
                              20. BVLVC - VEAL LOIN N VEAL CHEEK
                              21. BYPMF - YU PIAN MI FEN

And here are the more details explanations of the meals from the website:

8 oz. U.S.A. rib-eye steak with creamy green peppercorn sauce, roasted vegetables, and garlic-mashed potatoes

Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice

Oven-roasted free-range chicken breast stuffed with spinach and ricotta cheese, served with cepe jus, vegetables and creamy polenta

Pan-fried veal loin and braised veal cheek with parsnip purée, garden vegetables, and sautéed mushrooms

Pan-seared Chilean bass in bouillabaisse broth with capsicum confit and zucchini pasta

Pappardelle with seafood

Roast rack of lamb with mint jus, mesclun salad, and thyme-flavoured gratin potatoes

Roasted vegetables with avocado mesclun salad on roasted potatoes, in a truffle oil vinaigrette

Seared salmon escalope on a warm potato and snake bean salad

Menu - Singapore Specialities

Braised soya flavoured duck with yam rice

Chicken curry Peranakan style with bread rolls

Fish porridge*

Fish Ball Kway Teow Soup (flat rice noodles with fish balls in broth)*

Laksa (slippery rice noodles in a smooth and rich seafood gravy)

Nasi biryani*

Nasi lemak*

Singapore Chicken Rice

Yu Pian Mi Fen (Singapore style rice noodle soup with sliced fish)*

Menu - Japanese Cuisine

Kyo-Kaiseki

Menu - Thai Delights

Fish soufflé and spicy minced chicken served with pineapple rice and curried vegetables

Green curry fish balls stuffed with prawns, served with pork in a sweet and spicy sauce

As you can see, it says chicken curry peranakan style...

And from our BTC Pictures Collection thread, you will find how the curry chicken looked like at one point of time.

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              I ordered this for SQ638 but had it for breakfast before landing at NRT.

Comment

Working...
                              X