Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prices of wines served onboard SQ

It is very serene reading old thread!
    I went to liqueur store this afternoon. I was shocked looking at the price of Krug. It's 50% more than Dom. It was fun to check the prices of wines served on board SQ.

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
    It was fun to check the prices of wines served on board SQ.
    I don't know whether or not you'll be surprised since you are one with the inside loops , but from what I heard, SQ doesn't even have to pay for some of the wines they serve in F (in exchange for the exposure/free publicity received onboard for the winemakers).

Comment

Originally posted by StarG
      ... , but from what I heard, SQ doesn't even have to pay for some of the wines they serve in F (in exchange for the exposure/free publicity received onboard for the winemakers).

My dearest StarG:

Just in case this rumour goes circling round again like many others on the board. Here is my sincere humble reply to you.
      The panel of Wine Connoisseurs (featured in the wine list) conducts an independent bidding and blind tasting every year. They narrow down their choices according to classes, price for its quality and the amount of bottles (bulk) SQ can purchase. Thus, they will not select one chateau that can support ONLY one month of supply. To put it in short, it's an official tender exercise...just like any other purchase but decided independently by the 3 wine experts.

Mr StarG, do you know how much of products are consumed on board?

I hope this will straighten the rumour that goes around.

-The Insider Loop-

Comment

Notice my use of the word 'some' but not 'all'?
        And by your post above, I think you will be surprised who I hear this from.

Comment

I am sure penny pinching SQ will try to get freebies or heavy discounts from companies....

Perhaps all these are factored in the negotiation when a bulk purchase is signed.

But to put a wine label in FCL just because it's free....it smells funny

Wines chosen are blind tasted right??

Comment

Originally posted by Sqstalker
            (emphasis mine)

Now, now...
            Where did you read that one?

Surely not on my post above.

Edited to add: should we move these discussions to a new thread since it has gone a bit OT? Would be happy to oblige.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG
              (emphasis mine)

Now, now...
              Where did you read that one?

Surely not on my post above.

Edited to add: should we move these discussions to a new thread since it has gone a bit OT? Would be happy to oblige.
              SQ doesn't even have to pay for some of the wines they serve in F

Yes...new thread please Glad to know the mods are doing an excellent job

Comment

Here you go.
                Will solve the technical issue soon.

Again, where in my post was it mentioned that SQ puts a wine label in FCL just because it's free?

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                  Here you go.
                  Will solve the technical issue soon.

Again, where in my post was it mentioned that SQ puts a wine label in FCL just because it's free?
                  Ah then my humblest apologies for having misunderstood your post...my English is quite poor.

I would have thought you meant the glass of wine that I drink in F (as if!! ) is sponsored by Chateau Leoville because they approached SQ for a deal to advertise their Chateau.

Thanks to SQ LPP for his post, it clarified what I misunderstood by way of your post.

Comment

I don't know whether or not you'll be surprised since you are one with the inside loops , but from what I heard, SQ doesn't even have to pay for some of the wines they serve in F (in exchange for the exposure/free publicity received onboard for the winemakers).
                    Perhaps my English is inadequate as well, or else I am too tipsy this morning hour.
                    When you say "SQ doesn't have to pay for some of the wines they serve in F," my interpretation would be a free wine served in F by one of the chateau or something like that. But who can afford giving out $150 wine for each flight for the whole year? I would be so surprise if the winery does that. How can it survives financially?

Notice my use of the word 'some' but not 'all'?
                    And by your post above, I think you will be surprised who I hear this from.
                    From your wink, I assume it's from me. But perhaps what I meant was that the wine paid by SQ through the bidding and tender, it's a bulk price tax free. So it feels like a freebie.

Comment

Okay, let me try to clarify. This post is dedicated to both of you, dearest SQ LPP and Sqstalker:

Yes, from what I have heard, some of the wines they served in First Class was F.O.C. to the airline in exchange for the publicity received in the air.

Originally posted by SQ LPP
                      But who can afford giving out $150 wine for each flight for the whole year? I would be so surprise if the winery does that. How can it survives financially?
                      As to how long the deal was, how can the chateau survive giving away (so much) free products, and the economic impact to the chateau itself: I have no information about those.
                      For example, if it was a limited time, it may be manageable for the chateau.
                      Another possibility is that they negotiated with the chateau AFTER the selection by the wine panel is finalized.
                      Another thing to note is that a USD150 bottle of wine is only a USD150 bottle of wine to you (the customer), but not the chateau.

But fact is it was done and perhaps is still being done.

Do realize, from the beginning I did not say that it is a negative thing about SQ.
                      Both of you made it seems like it is a very negative issue & cost cutting etc., which I don't understand why.

I am actually just amazed at the marketing prowess of our favorite airline.

PS: You misread the '' this time. It was not you.

Comment

I think what StarG is talking about happens with some airlines and the food they serve onboard. The airline (or catering company) will of course get a bulk discount but presumably there's some additional benefit (heavily discounted or even free produce maybe) in featuring prominently the name of the brand in the menu.

An example (for BA - not SQ) is the olive oil served in F. The "advertising" of the brand name in the menu obviously has an effect on some VIP frequent flyers, e.g.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...5655#post55655

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                          The airline (or catering company) will of course get a bulk discount but presumably there's some additional benefit (heavily discounted or even free produce maybe) in featuring prominently the name of the brand in the menu.
                          What I was trying to convey was the "free" notion is not happening. The wineries do not give SQ any wines for free. That's my knowledge so far. May be, StarG has a very prominent source that may be nullified my information that giving me no freebies.

Comment

Not that I am an expert in this...but some of my wine loving friends tell me that CX has a better cellar selection than SQ. Of course CX only serves 1 champagne Krug in F and SQ , 2. I don't know...

All I do know is CX's Lynch Bages is famously popular. I stilll have a bottle of '92 somewhere courtesy of an empty CX F flight a few years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                              Not that I am an expert in this...but some of my wine loving friends tell me that CX has a better cellar selection than SQ. Of course CX only serves 1 champagne Krug in F and SQ , 2. I don't know...

All I do know is CX's Lynch Bages is famously popular. I stilll have a bottle of '92 somewhere courtesy of an empty CX F flight a few years ago!
                              Haven't got enough experience in F to speak about the wines. From memory, CX served William Deutz Cuvee on some routes and Krug on others. SQ serves both DP and Krug long haul, and only DP on the shorter regional routes.

CX wines can be rather hit/miss in J though, SQ whilst predictable is rather dependable. As for the fizz I find it pretty bizarre how CX serves the v delicious party in a mouth, Billecart-Salmon NV (seriously, I'd drink this over DP!!) on its regional routes other than NRT yet offer the paint stripper Champagne Deutz on its long hauls plus NRT! I do realise these things are YMMV but Deutz has been massively unpopular with everyone I've spoken to, even the most ardent CX fans. Surely you'd want to serve the good stuff on your premier routes. SQ serves Charles Heidsieck Mis En Cave which is pretty good as far as NVs go though some of the disgorgements can be rather 'green.'

For the best onboard wine list though - I find LH truly a class act in F! And NZ and QF rather solid in J when it comes to the reds and whites, with NZ and CX regional coming out tops for J fizz with the Laurent Perrier NV and Billecart respectively. YMMV of course.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 November 2008, 02:47 AM.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X