Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever been guested into a lounge by a total stranger who offered it without asking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever been guested into a lounge by a total stranger who offered it without asking?

Up till today, I'd have had to say never.

But never say never. Had just paid the domestic airport tax in Surabaya Airport this morning and was heading to the gate area to wait, when this lady came up to me and asked if i had lounge access. I said no, and she replied - well I do, can I guest you?

I accepted, and we had a nice little chat before boarding (she happened to be on the same flight to CGK) . There are some days when you think the world is an alright place to live in, and that the human race has a future, and today was one of those days! I even got to the point where I could possibly see all the financial carnage of the last week might disappear, and that maybe all the conflict in your life could be resolved. I boarded GA303 this morning an optimist

Mrs Maria S. I'm very appreciative

Nope, but I've hosted a random. This was back in June. I was flying to AKL and our flight had a rolling delay due to the QF engineers industrial action. I was chatting with someone at the gate area, and decided to 'guest' him into the lounge when it became clear that it was no 'slight delay.' Instant new drinking buddy at the Qantas Pub.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I invited to the lounge a couple of italian pax onboard BA flights, having connections to other destinations. I had had some chat with them during the inbound flight so I thought it was a nice gesture to invite them as guests.

But I never approached s.o. perfectly unknown to me to tell him/her "would you like to be my guest in the lounge?"

BTW, I could consider this if I should meet a cute girl, but then probably I wouldn't dare to do it.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
        BTW, I could consider this if I should meet a cute girl, but then probably I wouldn't dare to do it.
        I rather suspect your Italian charm will be overcome by your LukeGT shyness at that point.

I haven't been the recipient of a stranger's generosity (I think I need to learn how to look friendlier when I travel ), but I do like extending guest privileges to strangers: e.g., seatmates who I learn have long transit times (I had a very thankful Australian woman on a CX flight from LHR, because she got to sample the Wing's breakfast buffet rather than force herself to ingest the inedible slop CX tried to pass off as the Y breakfast), or the bleary-eyed at LHR transiting to their Europe flights. I tend to look out for older (i.e., than I! shuddup, LukeGT, mec) passengers, because I think my dad, aunts and uncles would appreciate a similar gesture when they travel.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          I tend to look out for older (i.e., than I! shuddup, LukeGT, mec)
          ROTFL
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I have never been guested but I have guested people. One time it was guesting an old lady into the F section of the Wing at HKG. She was traveling alone and judging by her facial experssion, I thought she looked tired and could use some of the Cabana & Shower rooms to relax and refresh. At first she said it wasn't necessary but I told her it won't cost anything to do so. At the end she took the offer.

Though I certainly hope those who have been guested to not take things for granted and expect that people will guest them everytime they are flying and do not have the appropriate status for lounge access. Not by any means saying that any of you are one of these people, but I have heard & read travelers becoming spolied as a result of this.
            Last edited by Rejuvenated; 12 October 2008, 04:28 AM.
            My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

No I've never been guested by a total stranger, but I have guested some. Usually in irrops, or other hassles (like the time a fellow AKL airbus pax was running very late for his QF flight - by checking in inside the Qantas Club he made his flight and a couple of minutes to calm down). Or the nice seatmate on MEL-SIN-LHR who managed a shower at SIN thanks to using the F lounge with me instead of J.

Comment

I always random-guest in when I can preferably people who are traveling alone ... like I could never break up a couple and take one person to the lounge while the other one has to wait outside.

This is probably the guy in me speaking ... most of the time I chat up girls my age and ask them if they wanted to join me for the lounge but hey, it works and I had some great conversations there ... actually, I mostly look for people who look some sort of lost - it's just a coincidence it's always those cute backpacking girls in their early twenties

... and no, I have never been guested into a lounge by a stranger. only by FT'ers in FRA (AAdmirals Club, RCC).
                Home is where your heart is.

Comment

flo is such the player...
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    flo is such the player...
                    I second that

Please share some tips with us, Mr Player

Comment

-_________- most definitely not

i just enjoy good conversation ... not the stuff players appreciate i am way too innocent and naive for this kind of stuff
                      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I was on a SuperShuttle minibus from Manhattan to JFK. Onboard were a nice couple enroute to YVR as I was on CX. We chatted along the way and then I asked them to join me in the lounge as I was CX-DM then I could invite 2 guests into the F lounge.

On another trip recently, from YYZ, AZ doesn't have lounge access but instead gives out vouchers for meals and drinks about $50 worth. I saw a group of Girl Guides milling about so I just approached them and gave them the vouchers to use. The vouchers had no names on them so anyone could use them. It was nice to see the kids' heading towards the Tim Hortons' stand!

If I can, I would happily ask anyone into a lounge. Generally though sometimes I would try to see if they are flying the same airline as I beforehand! That is the spirit of "passing it forward".. one small gesture like this can brighten someone's day, and they in turn can pass it forward too, in their own way.

I've never been guested into a lounge by anyone though.. Mainly cos I fly on either *A or OW, both of which I have access to their lounges.

Comment

Working...
                        X