Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Gregorian New Year in SIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Gregorian New Year in SIN?

We're arriving into Changi about 16:32hrs on 31 December before transferring to the Mandarin Oriental. It's a positioning flight to enable us to catch the SQ318 to London the following day.

Can anyone offer some useful suggestions as to where would be a good place to spend the evening? I here there will be fireworks which we could see from the hotel, but we'd rather get out and be amongst people. Would Boat Quay be fun or too packed - would we be able to just turn up and dine at one of the cafes on new year's eve? Quite fancy a black pepper crab you see. Perhaps we should head into Chinatown and the bars down there. We just want a fun night without it becoming a mad night necessarily. Need to keep a clear head for all the champagne we'll consume on the 318 and have a flat bed there to sleep if necessary.

There are definitely a lot of people walking around close to midnight on New Year's Eve. Avoid using City Link.

There was one New Year's Eve that I spent just with my brother, and we decided to hang around in the Chijmes compound. We ate at one of the restaurants there; listened to an open-air concert; and sipped champagne by the glass, before heading to the countdown in our hotel lobby. It was a festive, not-OTT celebration. I'm not sure, though, if that concert is a yearly event.

Paging Savage25. I remember he was a good source of advice when I asked this on TOF a while back.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 3 October 2008, 02:32 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
      Paging Savage25. I remember he was a good source of advice when I asked this on TOF a while back.
      IIRC, I recommended China Jump in Chijmes, which used to have an annual NYE party. Unfortunately, China Jump is no more, but there's always a yearly celebration at Chijmes, which I much prefer to wading through the crowds everywhere else.

They had one last year too:
      http://www.chijmes.com.sg/ShowEventD...4-cd21117573ba

Comment

VC10 Boy are you a cargo airliner pilot?

You might be able to catch firework if you are on the right side of the hotel.

Chijmes seems to be a good idea as it is close to your hotel. Boat Quay is another good place to mix. Your hotel will have some sort of celebration.
        Or simply strolling along Orchard Road.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFM View Post
          VC10 Boy are you a cargo airliner pilot?
          VC10 Boy is a Tumi-trotting cargo airliner pilot?! Interesting news indeed.

Chijmes is charming in a 'clinical' way. It was a lot more atmospheric 30 years ago. It was one of my old schools and I have fond memories of it.

If it's not one of your lovey-dovey night out, you could arrange to meet up with some SQTalkers for some satays and crab.

We'd see you on the same flight anyway. Looking forward to finally meeting you and your Polish boy.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            We'd see you on the same flight anyway. Looking forward to finally meeting you and your Polish boy.
            Tomasz just cleans - he's not the boyf, but the staff. And we're only in J rather than paid R so that puts the TPR out of our reach, although if you want to send some Krug up the stairs... Which reminds me I haven't thanked you for all your useful Japan advice. The train timetable website was invaluable, as was the Mijajima suggestion. We loved that holiday.

I hadn't actually consider chijmes but it is a viable option. I suppose we can't go too wrong with where we are, perhaps Boat Quay for dinner, champagne on the Fullerton terrace and then walk back to our hotel as the firworks are let off, rounded off with a bottle of fizz in the MO.

Comment

It was a lot more atmospheric 30 years ago. It was one of my old schools and I have fond memories of it.
              You were an 'IJ girl? I have fond memories of that place too

Back on topic....Chijmes would be a good choice for a 'reasonable' NYE

Comment

If it's not one of your lovey-dovey night out, you could arrange to meet up with some SQTalkers for some satays and crab.
                Why not just say that you are hinting of being there in Singapore for New Year's Eve? Why not just propose a DO? Oops but then pictures will not going to be up because everyone is camera-shy nowdays.

Comment

The main fireworks will fire off from Marina Bay, which your hotel room may face. Of course you can choose to just go down and squeeze with the maddening crowd, and the view will likely be just as spectacular.
                  Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

Back on topic....Chijmes would be a good choice for a 'reasonable' NYE
                    Not sure if she wants to answer that question because her age would then be known.

FYI, the last time CHIJMES was still a school is 1985(?).

Comment

So Phaleesy you were one of ex-IJ girls. I've ex-IJ friends and they were all married with kids. Maybe they were your ex-classmates? A few married to AM but they still live in Singapore.
                      Last edited by SQFM; 4 October 2008, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        Pre Mrs 9V-JKL days?

My fond memories of IJ Victoria: running around screaming at the top of our voices and listening to the echoes; splashing holy water on one another (blasphemous behaviour!); scaring ourselves silly with ghost stories (still remember the story of a nun seen sitting and spinning on the ceiling fan in the classroom); locking then climbing over the toilet door, and back to class to report the 'ghostly' presence in the toilet since unoccupied toilets were found locked; being spanked by teachers for being naughty...

I think most people have forgotten that the premises were also home to a number of orphans and disabled people. We were always reminded to share and pray for people less fortunate than ourselves.

My memories are definitely less interesting than yours, 9V-JKL. My only encounters with the male species were with my dear cousin from ACS Coleman Street. Mommy took us out for lunches, shopping and movies at the Odeon. Saw my first Star Wars movie and was so infatuated with Luke Skywalker!

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                        FYI, the last time CHIJMES was still a school is 1985(?).
                        It ceased being a school in 1984. (Classes started in Toa Payoh in 1984)

I know CHIJMES is meant to be some sort of charming and pretty tourist attraction now. But I personally think that it is too pretty and 'conserved'. These restaurants and bars were once the homes of sisters, orphans and disabled people. They were rehoused of course but there is no denying the fact that the school was sitting on prime land and had to move to make way for re-development.

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                        Not sure if she wants to answer that question because her age would then be known.
                        Yes, you don't have to remind me that I'm now a sour old spinster sitting in a little Hertfordshire village, with only my feline friends, music, Jane Austen and Mills and Boons for company.
                        Last edited by phaleesy; 6 October 2008, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Yes, you don't have to remind me that I'm now a sour old spinster sitting in a little Hertfordshire village, with only my feline friends, music, Jane Austen and Mills and Boons for company.
                          Having a 24x7 porter on call helps...

Back OT: Maybe rent a little boat for the evening and get the crew to sail around the harbour. Not sure about prices on NYE though, but it's possible to spend $400-500 for 3-4 hours. Depends who you book with.

Comment

Working...
                          X