Tiger to fly 5 times a day to KL from December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiger to fly 5 times a day to KL from December

Tiger Airways is increasing its number of flights between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. From 1 December 2008 Tiger Airways will offer up to 5 flights a day between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur up from one daily flight per day. This will result in more than 40,000 seats a month each way, or the equivalent to 480,000 extra seats a year on the route.

To celebrate, Tiger Airways is offering 50,000 seats on sale from today (Thursday) for $0 plus taxes and charges between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.

Rosalynn Tay, Managing Director of Tiger Airways Singapore, said “This is a huge milestone in Asian low fare aviation, and at Tiger Airways we’re very proud to be leading the way once again. Working at Tiger Airways is living the low fare dream. Where else in the world could I make almost 500,000 people a year so happy with so many low fares, at such great times. This huge increase in flights between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore means one thing for travellers – lots more Tiger Airways’ famous low fares.”

Tiger Airways would not be able to announce its revolutionary increase in capacity between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur without the significant achievements of both governments concerned.

Rosalynn Tay said, “I would like to congratulate the forward thinking of the Singapore and Malaysian governments and aviation authorities in their progression of a liberalisation agenda that benefits both economies. By meeting this liberalisation milestone ahead of the ASEAN roadmap both countries are acknowledged around the world in a job well done. The customer is the big winner here.”

Not to be outdone...

Air Asia responds....

AirAsia is to add four additional daily direct flights between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. With these new frequencies, AirAsia will have six daily direct flights which connect the two major cities.

To celebrate, AirAsia is giving away 51,000 free seats, and refreshingly, unlike other airlines with similar offers, AirAsia is also waiving the fuel surcharges. Passengers will only bear the airport tax and admin cost for the additional new frequencies.

The additional services will commence on 1st of December 2008. The promotion is valid for the booking period 26th September – 3rd October 2008 for travel between 1st December and 31 July 2009.

Dato’ Sri Tony Fernandes, Group CEO of AirAsia Berhad said, “These additional flights, further demonstrate our commitment to making air-travel convenient and affordable for everyone. In addition to that, we strongly believe that this will pave the way for more tourism, investments and that both countries will enjoy mutual benefits of feeding the traffic between the hubs. Indeed, we are very delighted to have acquired these additional services thus welcome healthy competition.”

Apart from the 6 times daily flights from Kuala Lumpur, AirAsia also flies four times daily from Bangkok, once daily from Phuket and three times weekly from Pekanbaru, Indonesia to Singapore.

Comment

For the free tickets, Air Asia's flights are only S$55 return including taxes! Much cheaper than bus rides!

Tiger Airways are charging about S$120 return including taxes even with S$0 fares, due to the additional fuel charges. Interesting to see how will Tiger respond.
      My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

5 flights vs 6 flights....50,000 free seats vs 51,000 free seats....$0 seats vs $0 seats plus $0 fuel surcharges. It is always fun watching budget airlines battle it out.
        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

tiger schedule in jan shows only 4 flights a day - but other than the morning flights, the rest of the timing are kinda out - whereas air asia have fairly good morning afternoon n early evening flights and with their really no surcharges fares - its th cheapest at S$32 one way nett - it better than the buses. Sadly jetstar 3 flights daily on some days are not good due to their rather odd schedules - and even now their flights are never full too -so wonder if jetstar will stay in this sector for long.

Comment

They had a chance to strike a blow at the legacies here by going to the extreme ends of the day - and failed to do so. AK's schedules merely mimic what everyone else is doing now.

I'm still waiting for a genuine red eye that will both take me to and from Singapore at either 5.30-6.00am and around 0.00-0.100 am. I truly think there's a market for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              They had a chance to strike a blow at the legacies here by going to the extreme ends of the day - and failed to do so. AK's schedules merely mimic what everyone else is doing now.

I'm still waiting for a genuine red eye that will both take me to and from Singapore at either 5.30-6.00am and around 0.00-0.100 am. I truly think there's a market for it.
              You jogged my brains a little. I remember when KLIA was still call Subang, they had this little 737-400 bird that came in at 00:40ish, park overnight and returned the first flight back. While SQ upgauged the birds to the 772 from the A310s, MAS did no upgrades to their and eventually the number of flights got cut. Is this a casulty?

Comment

The latest news is that SQ is cutting its own flights to 4 a day, while MI will introduce 4 flights a day to KUL from 1 December. Thanks to liberalisation, SQ can finally make better use of its resources on a key market!

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_284380.html

Leaves me wondering what other tricks SQ has up its sleeves come 1 December for the other key routes in SEA, in particular Jakarta...

Comment

with the fall in air traffic due to poorer economic outlook for the world - there are not many key routes that SQ can use its "excess" aircrafts as a result of reducing its SIN-KUL sectors. And according to tourist board, tourists arrivals into s'pore have dropped for the 2 consecutive months.
                  There have been some "disputing" reports that SQ wull fly only 2 daily flights to KUL for the peak period whilst Silkair will fly another 2 daily for the off-peak hours - making it only 4daily flights between the two.

Comment

ok from local reports its seems that SQ will operate 4 daily flights to KUL;; whilst Silkair will operate another 4 daily flights.

Comment

SQ is now able to offer higher frequency using smaller aircraft, and that benefits the consumer. I doubt the economic downturn has made a significant impact on this route yet, and it should also be reminded that the number of "tourists" flying into Singapore via KUL is not as significant as many other routes, so again, the drop in number of tourists may be less relevant too.

Gradually replacing regional routes with MI aircraft flying in higher frequencies frees those aircraft for better use in longer routes, not all of which are collapsing due to the downturn.

Comment

now that the joint shuttle between SQ and MH have been over since June, and with this new and many flights by LCCs, lets hope that SQ will reduce its fares for KUL somewhat and especially for its Silkair's flights.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          lets hope that SQ will reduce its fares for KUL somewhat
                          They already have. You can now buy an E fare for FIT travel which is a little bit cheaper than the Y that's been offered for the longest time, in addition to the GV2 fares that have been offered for the last few months.

Comment

SQ fares are still almost triple from that of the LCCs on the SIN-KUL sectors and which only a hot/cold drink is given for Y class. However would see that air asia will be moving towards a standardised flat fare for non-promotional fare or similiar to a "shuttle" type of fare of less than S$100 one-way in near future with its 6 daily flights.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              SQ fares are still almost triple from that of the LCCs on the SIN-KUL sectors and which only a hot/cold drink is given for Y class. However would see that air asia will be moving towards a standardised flat fare for non-promotional fare or similiar to a "shuttle" type of fare of less than S$100 one-way in near future with its 6 daily flights.
                              It depends on which LCC fare you are trying to compare with...the promotional and lowest bracket fares that only a few get, or the much higher fares the majority have to pay? Also, expecting SQ to engage in a price war with the LCCs on a route such as this seems to be expecting too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X