SIN-HKG-YVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HKG-YVR

I have my first trip to Canada possibly coming up in October and if all goes to plan will schedule a stop-over each way in HK, staying a day or two there each way.

My thought was SQ on the SIN-HKG route and AC for HKG-YVR in J. This assumes what they call First Class is sold as J? I wouldn't like to take UA since looking at the J product turns me off for such a long flight given alternatives on AC and CX.

Is there any other options other than splitting my miles between KF and MP and taking CX to YVR? I'd prefer to add to my KF points though.

Maybe:

SIN-HKG - SQ
    HKG-ICN - OZ or TG
    ICN-YVR - SQ

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
      My thought was SQ on the SIN-HKG route and AC for HKG-YVR in J. This assumes what they call First Class is sold as J?
      Executive First on AC is sold as J. So everything goes to KF

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
        Executive First on AC is sold as J. So everything goes to KF
        AC doesn't sell F class. AC's Business Class is called Executive First and it is sold as business class.

FYI - only take AC from HKG after end Oct when the route switches to a 77W. Right now its those horrible A340-300 still.

Comment

I have my first trip to Canada possibly coming up in October and if all goes to plan will schedule a stop-over each way in HK, staying a day or two there each way.

My thought was SQ on the SIN-HKG route and AC for HKG-YVR in J. This assumes what they call First Class is sold as J? I wouldn't like to take UA since looking at the J product turns me off for such a long flight given alternatives on AC and CX.

Is there any other options other than splitting my miles between KF and MP and taking CX to YVR? I'd prefer to add to my KF points though.
          First of all, AC premium class is called Executive First Class, but actually it's equivalent to Business Class.

It's really what you value more in the decision making. Shortest flight time? Convenient time? Daily flight? And of course, costs or fares!

The nonstop HKG-YVR (shortest travel time criteria) will be on AC or CX. AC will have the herring-bone lay flat like on Air New Zealand or Virgin Atlantic. CX has the sloped-flat seats. I personally prefer the lay flat seats. Thus I would take AC if that's my priority. If the on-board service you value more, perhaps I would suggest to take CX. So far, I don't expect much from AC, since the service is inconsistent. But I take AC just because of *A and I am not converted yet to step over to CX.
          If the fares is not affected, may be take CX HKG-YVR (thus you can enjoy the most of your visit to CX home base lounge). And take AC YVR-HKG.

Another possibilities, would be a connection somewhere as pointed out by jjpb3. There you will have SQ for ICN - YVR (3x weekly only). If you want you can subsitute OZ for CX between HKG and ICN.
          If you don't mind connecting in the US, of course there is SQ2 HKG-SFO.

Again, I am not so sure about the fares playing a role in your decision making though.

Comment

Should you decide to fly AC and accrue to KF, please be aware that only 'J' fare gets you 125%. The other C, Z fares gets you only 100% even though you're in Biz Class

Comment

Thanks guys,

Fares will play a part in the decision making process certainly and at the moment it is looking like CX is about 9% cheaper.

The AC schedule from HKG-YVR is better for me because i can get a full days work in by landing at 9:30am. If i take the night flight by CX and arrive Sunday night then i still have to pay for an extra nights hotel meaning the saving in fares is less and the afternoon flight wastes a good chunk of the working day.
              Last edited by scooby5; 11 September 2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

One more thing...... does YVR have an Arrivals Lounge that can be used prior to going through immigration?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                  FYI - only take AC from HKG after end Oct when the route switches to a 77W. Right now its those horrible A340-300 still.

For reference GB...... my booking made this morning for October 13th and 16th rtn says 77W

Just got a good price out of HK this morning that was not available in the last few days, 1/3 less than out of SG for that sector and now about 10% cheaper than CX...... TA says is still earn 125% so, good all round.
                  Last edited by scooby5; 11 September 2008, 12:49 PM.

Comment

For reference GB...... my booking made this morning for October 13th and 16th rtn says 77W
                    I managed to get a Z bucket fare for next year on the same flight at a pretty reasonable price as well. Apparently, it only reflects on the Canadian site, the HKG site doesn't give that fare

Comment

Working...
                    X