Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ revamps Premium Economy product

As released:

Air New Zealand today announced a re-launch of its Pacific Premium Economy to provide enhanced in-flight services for customers flying long-haul routes.

Following on from its decision in October to increase by eight the number of Pacific Premium Economy seats on its 747 aircraft, Air New Zealand says an enhanced Pacific Premium Economy services will be available from Wednesday 20 December.

The re-launch means that Pacific Premium Economy customers on Air New Zealand’s long-haul flights will receive a number of services similar to those now enjoyed by Premier Business customers.

These include pre take-off drinks, printed menus and meals designed by Air New Zealand’s Consultant Chefs and Business Premier snacks. Pacific Premier Economy customers will also receive hot towels, amenity kits, Living Nature Lip Balm, slippers (on selected flights) and noise-cancelling headsets.

Air New Zealand Group General Manager International Airline Ed Sims said today the re-launch of Pacific Premium Economy would continue to set the airline’s premium long-haul service apart from the rest.

Mr Sims said that while customers had been enthusiastic about Pacific Premium Economy since it was launched in mid-2005, the product now had the opportunity to be less of an “ Economy Plus “ and more of a bargain Business Class-style service.

“The additional eight seats we added in October will not be the last Pacific Premium Economy expansion, as we work to keep up with customer demand,” he said.

“Our customers have told us that they love the additional legroom and exclusive feel of the Pacific Premium Economy cabin, and suggested that we look at providing a greater choice of food and amenities.

“The revamped service is a direct reflection of customer feedback over the past 12 months and as such we believe will go a long way to ensuring that Air New Zealand continues to be the airline of choice for those long-haul travellers,” Mr Sims said.

The revamped Pacific Premium Economy service will be available on all long-haul 747 and 777 dedicated routes.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Service is different for NZ , but the number of seats increased is small

But NZ has done a good job in improving the service
    "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

The 8 seat increase for PE on the 744 represented a 25% increase in the 744 PE capacity - quite substantial I must say.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

It still sounds like a ripoff to me. Didn't they say the pricing point was going to be fairly marginal (like ~25%)?

I did a dummy booking for LAX-AKL, and for the minor improvements, I got regular Economy for US$1114 (all in) and the cheapest Premium Economy for US$1887. A full 69.4% more expensive fare for not much improvement, I say.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
          It still sounds like a ripoff to me. Didn't they say the pricing point was going to be fairly marginal (like ~25%)?

I did a dummy booking for LAX-AKL, and for the minor improvements, I got regular Economy for US$1114 (all in) and the cheapest Premium Economy for US$1887. A full 69.4% more expensive fare for not much improvement, I say.
          I really did not get what you are trying to say.
          The increase announced is for the additional service in the Premium Economy. Don't get why you say "not much improvement." Premium Economy is definitely a much better option than "standard economy."
          Last edited by CGK; 24 December 2006, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
            I really did not get what you are trying to say.
            The increase announced is for the additional service in the Premium Economy. Don't get why you say "not much improvement." Premium Economy is definitely a much better option than "standard economy."
            My apologies for being rather ambiguous.

I was comparing regular Y and Premium Y and their price. For a 69% increase in price, to me at least (you make your own decisions), I feel that the added amenities aren't worth the price. 34" pitch, 17.8" seat width, and AVOD are good enough for me.

Comment

A full 69.4% more expensive fare for not much improvement, I say.
              That's the nature of market forces, mate. The airline only charges what people are willing to pay. And PE has been a tremendous success.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL
                That's the nature of market forces, mate. The airline only charges what people are willing to pay. And PE has been a tremendous success.
                That is very true. Guess it's too far out of my range then.

I dunno. Maybe I'm quite content with their E product that PE isn't really necessary (probably because I'm too used to flying on UA). When I see E at $1114 and PE at $1887, I see one trip on PE or nearly two trips in E.

Comment

My apologies for being rather ambiguous.

I was comparing regular Y and Premium Y and their price. For a 69% increase in price, to me at least (you make your own decisions), I feel that the added amenities aren't worth the price. 34" pitch, 17.8" seat width, and AVOD are good enough for me.
                  Hmm.. from NZ web site, Premium Economy at least will provide:

* Enjoy more legroom with the largest seat pitch in its class (38-40") and extra width on our 747 aircraft
                  * Lean back and relax with 50% more recline than Pacific Economy
                  * Each seat has a full leg rest and foot bar, so you can put your feet up
                  * In-seat power is available, which accepts most common connector plugs without the need for an adaptor
                  * An additional storage net in your seat back which provides stowage space for your complimentary water bottle
                  * 747 Configuration: 3-2 (on the upper deck)
                  * 777 Configuration: 3-3-3

And now, it is revamped with additional services: "These include pre take-off drinks, printed menus and meals designed by Air New Zealand’s Consultant Chefs and Business Premier snacks. Pacific Premier Economy customers will also receive hot towels, amenity kits, Living Nature Lip Balm, slippers (on selected flights) and noise-cancelling headsets."

For 12 hours flight, 40 inches pitch with wider seats and reclining more should be a much better way to travel for business travellers who happen to work for a company that allow them only flying in Y.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                    For 12 hours flight, 40 inches pitch with wider seats and reclining more should be a much better way to travel for business travellers who happen to work for a company that allow them only flying in Y.
                    I think this is partly why PE is so successful - the target demographics happen to be cost conscious business travelers and upmarket leisure travelers who cannot justify Business Premier pricing but want additional comfort over what Pacific Economy offers. As quoted in the release, it's not so much an 'Economy Plus' anymore; rather, a 'bargain Business Class.'
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 24 December 2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
                      Very true that it targets a special demographic.

Oh well. My body can still take the beatings from regular Y for now. And it won't hurt as much on the wallet.

Comment

Very true that it targets a special demographic.

Oh well. My body can still take the beatings from regular Y for now. And it won't hurt as much on the wallet.
                        Really? I thought you have never done any Y travel being so lucky. Hmm so young and had visited NH F lounge at NRT. And yes, being 1K with 6 SWUs must not make you fly Y accross the ocean...

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
                          Really? I thought you have never done any Y travel being so lucky. Hmm so young and had visited NH F lounge at NRT. And yes, being 1K with 6 SWUs must not make you fly Y accross the ocean...
                          You'd be surprised. This year I did SFO-HKG-SIN-CGK and back all on SQ Y (I was superbly lucky to get exit rows on SQ1/2) for a family emergency and I even did a one day trip on UA (in E- mind you ) on SFO-SYD-MEL.

Also had to give my sister 2 SWUs.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
                            Well you are still young... and lucky...

Comment

Originally posted by CGK
                              Sorry to hear that.
                              Well you are still young... and lucky...
                              And I'm grateful for that.

Now if only I can be as lucky as you...

Comment

Working...
                              X