LHR Sheraton Skyline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHR Sheraton Skyline

Thought this might be useful for those (such as intrepid explorer SQFAN) who pass through LHR and would prefer not to go into the city.

The hotel is reachable from LHR Central Bus Station via local buses. I used the T2 exit: walk as though you were going to grab cabs, but instead of turning left towards the taxi stand, walk straight through to the other side of the street and follow the signs to the Central Bus Station. You'll cross the street one more time (to your right as you emerge from the covered walkway) to get to the Central Bus Station.

There, head towards Exit C (to the right of the WH Smith bookstore) to bus stop 19, to catch the 105 or 140 to Harlington Corner. This works well if you have minimal luggage, not so well if you have a suitcase that runs up against the 23 kg limit for bags at LHR.

The buses have automated systems that call out the next stop. You know you're approaching your bus stop when you see a MacDonalds, then a Radission Edwardian, and finally a Marriott on the left side of the bus. The Sheraton Skyline is next door to the Marriott, and Harlington Corner bus stop is the one right after you see this succession of buildings.

The 140 will turn left at Harington Corner and then let you off at the stop immediately after. You have to backtrack on that sidewalk / pavement and walk back towards the Sheraton Skyline.

The hotel is very well-maintained. At £59 for a weekend night's stay, it's also ridiculously reasonable by London standards. An extra £30 allowed access to the Club Lounge and club floor for a non-Plat like me, so I took that opportunity.

It's clear the hallways on the Club Floor have been recently done up

My room was very spacious, with a sitting area off to one side of the bed.

A bathroom with clean lines

a decently-sized working area

and a coffee / tea corner (the pot didn't seem to work in the beginning but a quick call to the Service Desk had the situation fixed in less than fifteen minutes)

made me happy about having splashed out on a room to escape from the household cleaning I needed to do this weekend.

The Lounge itself (sorry, too crowded for me to snap pics) was OK -- very attentive staff [mirroring the upbeat attitude of the staff in general]. The attendant on Saturday night even came by to top up my wine glass one more time, instead of closing the lounge on the scheduled hour. The lounge closes at 2230 on Saturdays, and breakfast is served at 0700.

I initially thought the aircraft noises would pose a problem, but actually, maybe because I was pretty tired, I couldn't really hear the aircraft landing or taking off. Here is a view towards the outside: you'd have to squint to catch the aircraft taxiing for takeoff.

To get back to LHR, turn left upon exiting from the hotel, and cross the street at the traffic lights. Bearing right, find the closest bus stop, and take the 105, 140 or 285 bus back to LHR Central Bus Station. Take the stairs down to the Underground from the bus station, and head towards your destination (either London, Terminals 1/2/3, or HEX to transfer to Terminal 4 or 5).
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Thanks jjpb3. I assumed the buses mentioned in your report are free, unlike the Hoppa.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Thought this might be useful for those (such as intrepid explorer SQFAN) who pass through LHR and would prefer not to go into the city.
    Life is but a transit, I think. Well, unless there's something to tempt me into London...

Comment

The room certainly looks better than the one I had. Mine was a bit dark.
      There, head towards Exit C (to the right of the WH Smith bookstore) to bus stop 19, to catch the 105 or 140 to Harlington Corner. This works well if you have minimal luggage, not so well if you have a suitcase that runs up against the 23 kg limit for bags at LHR.
      The buses have automated systems that call out the next stop. You know you're approaching your bus stop when you see a MacDonalds, then a Radission Edwardian, and finally a Marriott on the left side of the bus. The Sheraton Skyline is next door to the Marriott, and Harlington Corner bus stop is the one right after you see this succession of buildings.

The 140 will turn left at Harington Corner and then let you off at the stop immediately after. You have to backtrack on that sidewalk / pavement and walk back towards the Sheraton Skyline.
      I don't recall which bus I took. But the driver asked me to get off at the bus stop near Marriott. So it was a very short walk towards the Skyline.
      To go back to Heathrow, yes, I took the same route as your excellent narrative direction.

Thank you for the posts and pictures. Very informative! Will add old pictures if I can find mine.

Comment

A list of the free buses and the hotels they serve near LHR is here:

http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm

The SPG website itself:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=268

says:

As an alternative to the Hotel Hoppa services, a choice of public buses (105/111/140/285) can take you, free of charge, from Heathrow Airport Central bus station to the Bath Road bus stop “Harlington Corner” which is just a few minutes walk from our hotel.
        (IIRC, the McD just a few minutes walk down the road from the Skyline (go out of the main entrance, turn right) is open 24 hours so no need to pay for water/soft drinks from the hotel.)

If you're departing from LHR T5, I believe the other SPG LHR hotel, the Sheraton Heathrow (I've only stayed in the Skyline above) is slightly cheaper and also more convenient for T5:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=293

As an alternative to the Hotel Hoppa services, a choice of public buses (U3/75/76/77) can take you free of charge from Heathrow Airport Central bus station to the Bath Road. Or, public buses (350/423) can take you from Terminal 5 Bus Station to the Bath Road, which is just a few minutes walk from our hotel.

Comment

I forgot to mention also that the hotel has a weekly Indian party/event on Friday - Mumbai Nights:

http://london.destinations.starwoodh...ine/mumbai.htm

I've been there on Friday night before and it gets quite busy downstairs. I didn't have a room overlooking the pool that time but if you do, I can imagine it may be noisy.

The hotel has a few eating establishments. I've only tried the Italian restaurant - a bit pricey (but what do you expect for an airport hotel) with the food being not bad and slightly inventive, e.g. tomato served 3 different ways; "homemade" foie gras ravioli; etc.

Comment

Stayed there when i missed my connection out of LHR a few weeks back. Quite nice for an airport hotel. I loved the pillows

Comment

The hotel has a few eating establishments
              Whenever we have stayed at this hotel we've opted to ignore the hotel offerings in favour of an easy walk to http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk/

Choice of bar of restaurant dining. Really good food & much better value that hotel restaurants

Comment

jjpb3, any directions for getting to the other SPG hotel - the Sheraton Heathrow (which I can't seem to find a thread for on SQT) ?

I tried it last week (thinking I'd save myself the £4 for the Hotel Hoppa) but it was dark, it was late (nearly midnight), I was slightly tipsy and I was expecting "Bath Road" to pop up on the bus's display but it never did. I ended up about 20-30 minutes away before jumping off at Hillingdon Hospital and as I missed the last bus going the other direction, I had to call a minicab to go to the hotel.

I can understand that the rooms at the Skyline are nicer but the Sheraton Heathrow has a 24-hour lounge (access using the keycard) with the advantages being the Internet terminals and the help yourself drinks (soft drinks - I can't remember seeing alcoholic drinks!). There's a 24-hour McD opposite the hotel as well!

Comment

Sorry jhm, I did stay there once and used the public bus, but I don't recall the directions. I do remember it was more involved to get there compared to the Skyline.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    jjpb3, any directions for getting to the other SPG hotel - the Sheraton Heathrow (which I can't seem to find a thread for on SQT) ?
                    AFAIK you need a 75 or 76 bus for Sheraton Heathrow.

So far I've only transited through LHR T5. How do you get to it from Bath Road and vice versa?

Comment

guys this is the best resource for information on the free buses around Heathrow Airport.
                      http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/informa...london-bus.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X