Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to the Hotel 747

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/09/welcome-to-the.html

Swedish entrepreneur Oscar Dios turn the 30-year-old jumbo into a 85 beds http://blog.wired.com/cars/images/20..._hostel_03.jpg (25 rooms) http://blog.wired.com/.shared/image...._hostel_04.jpg into a hotel and parked right outside Stockholm's Arlanda Airport.

It also consists of a deluxe cockpit suite with its own bathroom and a stunning view of the runway. http://blog.wired.com/cars/images/20..._hostel_02.jpg

haha this is where i will sleep when i go to ARN lol gotta try this if it isn't too expensive.
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

OMG what a fantastic spot SQTalker As a massive fan of the 747 I've simply got to try that someday!

Comment

i smell a future meet

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
          OMG what a fantastic spot SQTalker As a massive fan of the 747 I've simply got to try that someday!
          Have you never slept while flying the 747?
          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
            Have you never slept while flying the 747?
            Barely,...I'm not so good at sleeping whilst flying

Comment

Now to sleep in a plane, on the ground

Comment

Ah the Swedes...... well, couple of years back, there were plans to turn two ships into student hostels........... or even multi storey carpark.... those plans were abandoned as there was a general shortage of tonnage and the two ships were returned to service...... but the plans have not been abolished, since the owners refused to have the two ships scrapped, which is more harmful to the environment and scrapping involves cheap labourers...
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Puts the SQ suites to shame.

Comment

A hotel for aircraft enthusiasts

Jumbo jet hostel rolls into place near Arlanda in Sweden
                    The plane, which had been resting on Arlanda’s third runway since 2002, was purchased by Swedish entrepreneur Oscar Diös.

Diös saw the abandoned hulk of metal as a perfect structure for low-budget accommodations near Sweden's busiest airport.

Plans received a boost December 2007 when Sweden’s airports authority and the Swedish National Roads Administration, approved the idea. Workers towed the massive plane to the future hostel’s final location. Diös, who sat in plane’s cockpit while it was being towed, said the hostel will open for business in December 2008.

Diös ripped out the plane’s 500 seats and instead install 80 beds. The cockpit was made into a suite, with some of the equipment will be preserved.

Diös said “The challenge is that nobody has done this before, so there’s no precedent. But essentially it’s like fitting out any kind of metal barracks,”

The plane being used by Diös was previously owned by Swedish charter company Transjet. It has been grounded since the company had its licence revoked by authorities in 2002. It has since then stood by the airport’s third runway.

Diös has said in the past that he plans to start a chain of similar hostels at airports around the world, which he said would be called ’Jumbo Hostels’.

more photos

Niceguy

Comment

This topic has already been posted elsewhere previously, however their website is not accepting any bookings until 15th of Jan onwards, 2009.

So they were not quite ready by Dec 08 for bookings, contrary to the information in that article.

Still think it would be so interesting to stay there.

(Also it's worth noting their Cockpit Suite is not even listed as selectable for booking, only the other four categories)

Yes, I had too much time...

Comment

I saw the thing today as we were pulling up to gate 67 at ARN. Will post pics later - it looks weird since it's missing engines

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                          This topic has already been posted elsewhere previously...
                          Hahaha Yeah, I went searching for the post, but couldn't find it (I really hate the search feature on vBulletin).
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                            Hahaha Yeah, I went searching for the post, but couldn't find it (I really hate the search feature on vBulletin).
                            No worry. Soon or later, it will reappear!

Comment

Actually, I have a bed booked there in April before my next great journey. I might even be the first SQTalker to stay there haha. Expect report and pictures
                              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Working...
                              X