SIN-HKG on UA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIN-HKG on UA

I will be flying from SIN-HKG in Dec. It will be my first time on UA and would like to ask for opinions on what to expect in terms or food, seats etcs. Also, any suggestions for which seats to get? I am in whY by the way. Cheers.
    We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

United brings the newly configured Boeing 747-400 to HKG and SIN. If you are flying alone, get the ones in the very back if you do not mind getting out last. Those seats are good because they feature additional space between you and the window.

In terms of food, I cannot help you. Sorry.

By the way: the term 'whY' apparently gained some popularity apart from the usual suspect ... being a heavy Y flyer, I can definitely see how others might feel looked down upon when reading this term.
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
      United brings the newly configured Boeing 747-400 to HKG and SIN. If you are flying alone, get the ones in the very back if you do not mind getting out last. Those seats are good because they feature additional space between you and the window...
      Actually, those seats are the same on both 747 configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
        Actually, those seats are the same on both 747 configurations.
        yeah, you are right, they did not change the economy cabin, right? only the first and business afaik but still ... in terms of space, the window seats of the last rows are good because you can stow some stuff in between your seat and the window. keeps the legroom free
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
          I will be flying from SIN-HKG in Dec. It will be my first time on UA and would like to ask for opinions on what to expect in terms or food, seats etcs. Also, any suggestions for which seats to get? I am in whY by the way. Cheers.
          I got confused there for a moment. I thought QF had decided to fly between SIN and HKG.

My friends who are UA flyers seem to agree that Asia-based crews on UA are very good, so it seems you'll have good service. I personally have had good service even from US-based crews on my UA Y flights. Don't expect KrisWorld, and I think you'll be fine.

By the way: the term 'whY' apparently gained some popularity apart from the usual suspect ... being a heavy Y flyer, I can definitely see how others might feel looked down upon when reading this term.
          Yep, I agree. I don't know the provenance of that term, but it can be interpreted as questioning the rationale for traveling in Y. IME, Y is a perfectly acceptable alternative. I particularly like the extra spending money I get upon arrival at my destination. I'll definitely be taking a lot of Y trips in the foreseeable future.

Let's hope 'Y' remains the standard usage on these boards.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            My friends who are UA flyers seem to agree that Asia-based crews on UA are very good, so it seems you'll have good service. I personally have had good service even from US-based crews on my UA Y flights. Don't expect KrisWorld, and I think you'll be fine.

However those wonderful SIN/BKK based crews who work those flights are being let go

Comment

Yep, I agree. I don't know the provenance of that term, but it can be interpreted as questioning the rationale for traveling in Y. IME, Y is a perfectly acceptable alternative. I particularly like the extra spending money I get upon arrival at my destination. I'll definitely be taking a lot of Y trips in the foreseeable future.

The term 'whY' is certainly used to question why anyone would want to fly in Y. Cramped seats, less fancy food and drinks, smaller staff to pax ratio, etc. Anyone in their right minds would choose a more spacious seat and better food/service if there was an option. I would love to hear from anyone who could honestly tell me that he'd rather fly in Y than J/F.

For a 99.999% Y passenger like me, I do not have the luxury of that option. I pay for my own tickets out of a civil servant wages. I am also a cheapskate. I prefer to spend my money on shopping and food.
              Since I am blessed with the ability to fall asleep easily in an upright position for an extended period and I am not large built, a Y seat is good enough for me.

When I come across the term 'whY' in various posts on SQT and other forums, I do not feel like I was being looked down upon. The term is normally used in the context when the posters are poking fun at themselves for travelling in Y. Some are regular Y travellers and they're really just taking the mick out of themselves in their posts.

I, too, am looking forward to more trips in Y. Might plan a RTW Y if I could find time to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                Anyone in their right minds would choose a more spacious seat and better food/service if there was an option. I would love to hear from anyone who could honestly tell me that he'd rather fly in Y than J/F.

For a 99.999% Y passenger like me, I do not have the luxury of that option. I pay for my own tickets out of a civil servant wages. I am also a cheapskate. I prefer to spend my money on shopping and food.
                Since I am blessed with the ability to fall asleep easily in an upright position for an extended period and I am not large built, a Y seat is good enough for me.
                The reasons you gave are quite good. The decision is an economic one, meaning preferences and alternative uses of scarce budgetary resources (i.e., money) come into play. It's not a question of 'right minds', just different trade-offs.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by kluau88 View Post
                  However those wonderful SIN/BKK based crews who work those flights are being let go
                  When?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                    When?
                    I believe beginning sometime in October. I'm not looking forward to going back to the NRT and HKG-based crews compared to the SIN-based crews.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner
                      yeah, you are right, they did not change the economy cabin, right? only the first and business afaik but still ... in terms of space, the window seats of the last rows are good because you can stow some stuff in between your seat and the window. keeps the legroom free
                      Absolutely - being able to have the extra legroom because of that extra space is particularly nice if having to fly in coach on a longhaul. IMO, the trade-off with those seats (in the case of UA), is that it isn't an E+ seat. If only they'd made those rows E+...

Also FWIW for those flying in Y on UA 744's...because there's no PTV (in coach), one might want to check the IFE schedule on UA's website for the current month's selections and plan accordingly if it doesn't meet one's interests. Also check seatguru for further information on where seats are w/r/t the video screens, etc.

...Yep, I agree. I don't know the provenance of that term, but it can be interpreted as questioning the rationale for traveling in Y. IME, Y is a perfectly acceptable alternative. I particularly like the extra spending money I get upon arrival at my destination. I'll definitely be taking a lot of Y trips in the foreseeable future.

Well said. There's no sense in taking a condescending approach/attitude toward those who are flying in Y, whether short-haul domestic of long-haul international. In addition to the reasons you've given above, not everyone works for companies who are willing to pay for business/first travel (let alone SQ F/J), and in many cases require employees to purchase "lowest available fare."

Comment

Originally posted by kluau88 View Post
                        Originally posted by cawhite View Post
                        I believe beginning sometime in October. I'm not looking forward to going back to the NRT and HKG-based crews compared to the SIN-based crews.
                        So this means that the lady who served us on upperdeck last time we flew together SIN-HKG would no longer be with UA.

Anyhow, for the OP, I hear that UA has the lowest fares for SIN-HKG. So you should do your priority. Many friends prefer to take UA SIN-HKG because of this low fares (meaning saving their money, and allocate them for more spending in HongKong), as well as the fact that it's the first flight from SIN (arrives early in HKG - not wasting hotel stay) and leaving last or almost last (again can have full day in HKG).

Food? Well, basic breakfast would be served. Catering is based in Singapore. Should be fine. From HKG, roast goose at the airport for dinner sounds good... And sleep in the plane afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                          So this means that the lady who served us on upperdeck last time we flew together SIN-HKG would no longer be with UA...
                          Unless we get lucky and they not only re-open the base but are able to attract her as well as many of the rest of the excellent FAs. I don't recall if I told you, but the FA who was working with her was also working my last SIN-NRT flight and he remembered me (I'll be you can guess why ).

Comment

All I can advise is that going to HKG, one should sit as far forward as possible. HKG immigration can take ages to clear and the further behind you are, the longer it will take.

If you can scan both sides of immigration to see which side has less crowds. 3 weeks, back, the RHS was packed but the LHS had officers waiting to you. I set a new record that day, wheels down to landside in 15mins.

Comment

As the 'usual suspect', I'd endeavour to clarify once and for all the (or rather, my) usage of 'whY.' To me it's a tongue in cheek term and used mainly in the context of poking fun at how uncomfortable airlines have made Economy class travel over the decades, as well as taking the piss with that booking class. No malice was ever intended, and nor had I ever intended to patronise Economy class travellers.

Of course economic circumstances amongst other reasons mean that people choose to fly Economy. After buying 2 DONE4s (well, split over a few trips but still a not insignificant upfront cost), I thought I'd better save some money to fly Economy this month for what was intended to be a circle pacific trip but evolved into a RTW when the latter fare was cheaper and by a pleasant coincidence VIE do came up.

However thanks to forums like SQT/FT/AFF I have learnt to avail myself of various ways and instruments to travel comfortably for next to no cost over and above whY. Whether it be strategically optimised RTWs, mileage redemptions or upgrades, diamond club redemptions (since they're a different league altogether ), upgrade certificates, or other people's sheer generosity in donating any of these instruments. Which then brings me to my next point - the use of 'whY' celebrates the availability of all these 'tricks of the trade' which empower people to enjoy premium class travel at next to no cost over and above Economy travel.

I certainly don't have a company that flies me around in J/F (work does have a 'best fare of the day' policy), the monthly allowance I get from my parents can only be spent on 'necessities', definition of which doesn't extend to travel/shopping/hotels but thankfully does include alcohol and coffee. I fund my travesl by saving hard from my job, and harnessing the knowledge of travel forums like SQT to fly comfortably and affordably.

If someone can come up with a equally clever and fun term for F or J (best I could come up with so far for F was...oops never mind we have members who're under 18/21 here. ), bring it on and I'd incorporate it into my web lingo with as much eagerness as I've done with whY.

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                              The term is normally used in the context when the posters are poking fun at themselves for travelling in Y. Some are regular Y travellers and they're really just taking the mick out of themselves in their posts.

I, too, am looking forward to more trips in Y. Might plan a RTW Y if I could find time to travel.
                              Thanks phaleesy. As mentioned, I myself have a RTW in (mostly) whY in barely 2 weeks - it'd be a blast! After all, pax in whY are more approachable and, in general, younger and better looking.

BTW, the person who coined 'whY' (bless him) is a regular whY traveller himself.
                              Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 September 2008, 12:49 PM.
                              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                              X