State of Emergency in Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Emergency in Bangkok

Well the inevitable has happened, it's finally kicked off and they have declared a state of emergency.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7592942.stm

One to watch as I am due there at the end of next week.

I can't help thinking another little coup may just be around the corner...

Damn it.... have a honeymoon booked in Thailand next week

On the SQ website they are offering free reschedule or transfer if between 2 - 7 September.

On news in australia tonight they warned that the unions in Thailand are threatening to take action at the MAIN airports.

Will have to wait and see what happens I guess. In any view, Thai people sorting out their government no matter what happens is more important than my honeymoon.

Any suggestions for alternative break for 16 days?

Comment

Originally posted by rodders View Post
      Bali?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        Bali?
        great part of the world and a beautiful people - most of them!

Had a great time there in 2003.

Unfortunately since the two bombings its on the no go list. Plus if I did go, insurance is void as the Aust govt say dont go there.

Dont usually care too much about warnings but my best mate works in intelligence and he says no way he'd go - and he has had guns turned on him where he works but thinks that place is okay!!!!!

Comment

Vietnam? The Nam Hai in Hoi An...

Comment

How about Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (and possibly a drive up to Penang or down to Singapore)? Is that on the banned list at the moment?

(or you could land in SIN and spend a nice 2 weeks going up and down)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
              Vietnam? The Nam Hai in Hoi An...
              I would second that. One of the (if not THE) best Hotels I've ever stayed in. A fabulous place.

Comment

Unfortunately since the two bombings its on the no go list. Plus if I did go, insurance is void as the Aust govt say dont go there.

Dont usually care too much about warnings but my best mate works in intelligence and he says no way he'd go - and he has had guns turned on him where he works but thinks that place is okay!!!!!
                No comment!
                And I'd better be quiet before getting OT. But it is sad in my heart to read the comment above.
                Peace for all...

Comment

Thats B.S.

Where's the thumbsdown icon?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                    No comment!
                    And I'd better be quiet before getting OT. But it is sad in my heart to read the comment above.
                    Peace for all...
                    Couldn't agree more. As I said, had a great time in 2003. Went about 6 months after the first bombing and the Balinese economy was in desperate need of a boost. Spoke to a lot of locals as took the usual "taxi's" which meant I would generally keep the driver for the day. They were the ones most hurt as to what happened to their beautiful island and are still suffering. Unfortunately another bombing took place in 2004/2005? and hence it really is on the no go list.

Thanks for the alternative suggestions. This year we have been on holiday to
                    Hong Kong, Singapore and Penang at different time - all on SQ

But we have never been to Vietnam and that looks like a winner. We planned a week at resort to do "honeymooon stuff", then another 10 days looking at things.

I guess it depends on what happens over the next week in Thailand, although this morning it looked as if it was getting pretty bad. Please keep those suggestions pouring in

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                      Thats B.S.

Where's the thumbsdown icon?
                      While I personally have no problem going to Bali, it is however unfortunately true that Australian government (and others such as NZ) advise against travel there.

Originally posted by Australia
                      We advise you to reconsider your need to travel to Indonesia, including Bali, at this time due to the very high threat of terrorist attack.
                      Originally posted by NZ
                      Bali high risk

Our advice against all tourist and other non-essential travel extends to Bali. Further terrorist attacks like the Bali bombings of October 2005 (which killed 20 and injured over 100) and October 2002 (which killed 202), cannot be ruled out. The most likely targets are areas frequented by foreigners.
                      On some insurance policies these advisories are enough to deny coverage.

Comment

great part of the world and a beautiful people - most of them!

Had a great time there in 2003.

I've been in bali the last 4 months and have spent the last 3 summers here. To think Bali is "dangerous" is just crazy talk. You have less chance of something happening to you here than you do in Australia.

Comment

Fiji?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                            On some insurance policies these advisories are enough to deny coverage.
                            I would be very surprised if you could not get insurance for Bali even if the Australian government has advised against travel there. Although I am sure the insurance companies will charge a bit more for it.

Comment

Most of the locally issued ones have a clause - no cover if a government advisory against travel is made (before you travel there)

Comment

Working...
                              X