Priority Line for J/F passengers at Security Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priority Line for J/F passengers at Security Checks

I have read quite a few threads now about T3.

By enlarge, the comments have been positive.

The one complaint that seems to come up is the lack of a priority line for J/F passengers waiting to board their flights. Long queues have been reported though personally, I haven't experienced any.

I fly off-peak periods (conditioned by our ERP road charges)

I wonder why the oversight?

Actually, wouldn't a central security check before/after immigration be a better way to deploy limited manpower resources and cut costs( a la HKIA )?

Dear Mr NickC

Thank you for your feedback on Singapore Changi Airport received.

We would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience which you have encountered while departing at Terminal 3. With regards to the priority lane for passengers, it should be arranged by the airline. I have taken the liberty to forward your feedback to Singapore Airline's (SIA) for their attention.

We would like to apologise sincerely for the waiting time due to the long queue at the Security Screening Unit. We will be exploring better solutions to improve our waiting time and enhance this service.

Passenger feedback is highly regarded by Changi Airport as it allows us to improve on our service and facilities. Your experience shows that we still have much room for improvement. As such, we thank you once again for your valuable feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Changi Airport.

Yours Sincerely

XYZ
    Airport Management Officer
    Airport Operations
    I wrote in a while back and got a reply from CAAS. Only expected a automated reply regarding the issue and was surprised that they actually bothered writing back.

While a centralised security after immigration will be more convenient, it is actually more dangerous and unsafe compared to one prior to boarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
      While a centralised security after immigration will be more convenient, it is actually more dangerous and unsafe compared to one prior to boarding.
      I'm not quite sure how why you think that. As it stands, some lunatic with 'something nasty' could get all the way to the gates at Changi as there is no security until you want to board an aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        I have read quite a few threads now about T3.
        <...snip...>
        Actually, wouldn't a central security check before/after immigration be a better way to deploy limited manpower resources and cut costs( a la HKIA )?
        9V-SIA: Is your comment only relating to T3? If relating to Changi in general... I encountered T2 checking almost everyone before immigration yesterday morning.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
        I'm not quite sure how why you think that. As it stands, some lunatic with 'something nasty' could get all the way to the gates at Changi as there is no security until you want to board an aircraft.
        At T2 Changi Saturday morning (yesterday), there was a security check before immigration, of which people were selected at random to put their luggage through the X-ray machine for screening. Then, prior to boarding, another one at the gate.

If there's an airport that should be worried, it should be Suvarnabhumi International. Everyone can walk right through immigration, all the way to their concourse, and could potentially do something 'loony' in the airside duty-free section as long as you have a boarding pass. Only then do you get checked (and throughout this whole process, only once, none at the gate once you've cleared concourse screening). Suvarnabhumi does have screening facilities to do this immediately after immigration (but prior to actually entering the airside duty-free section but they never use it *at least, not after their grand opening).

Nick C: I also noticed SQ980's SIN-BKK yesterday did not have priority boarding enforced, queues after the Gate X-ray were totally clogged up. So good info to know they are reading these mails, thanks! Back tonight on SQ981 BKK-SIN, priority boarding was also not enforced. In stark contrast to whenever I fly LX182 (reverse priority boarding where economy boards before J?!?)/183 (priority boarding has always been enforced strictly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

At T2 Changi Saturday morning (yesterday), there was a security check before immigration, of which people were selected at random to put their luggage through the X-ray machine for screening. Then, prior to boarding, another one at the gate.

If there's an airport that should be worried, it should be Suvarnabhumi International. Everyone can walk right through immigration, all the way to their concourse, and could potentially do something 'loony' in the airside duty-free section as long as you have a boarding pass.
          My bolding.

I don't see much difference between Changi and Suvarnabhumi.. They both have no security checks (aside from Changi's 'random' one, which is more of a token gesture) before you go airside, and both just require a BP and Passport to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            I shall summarize what I know to one sentence. Big brother is always watching over you when you are in the terminal so there's no need for physical searches, any threat can be dealt with swiftly.

Comment

I shall summarize what I know to one sentence. Big brother is always watching over you when you are in the terminal.
              From what I was told, those mirrors in the terminals, well, they are not placed there for you to comb your hair...
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Personally I prefer security checks right after immigration too. So I can get through with all the mandatory checks then relax in the lounge or do shopping till boarding time without having to worry about another security check.

I have never personally experienced an exceeding long security check prior to boarding my flight at T3, but yes, an enforced premium lane would be nice.

Comment

Kudos to CAAS for referring the issue to SQ

No more priority security clearance lanes.

Please allow me to share with you that we have recently removed the priority lane outside the security screening units at the boarding gate in Singapore.

This decision was made after much consideration and discussion with the local airport authorities. This was implemented in view of the various constraints faced in enforcing the use of the priority lane for our premium passengers.

Nonetheless, the priority lane where boarding passes are scanned and priority boarding are still available for our premium passengers. Having said that, I have shared your comments about the poor organization of the security screening with our Airport Manager in Singapore, who will review this matter with the local airport authorities.

Comment

I shall summarize what I know to one sentence. Big brother is always watching over you when you are in the terminal so there's no need for physical searches, any threat can be dealt with swiftly.
                    What good is that for someone with a bomb in their bag ?. As the camera is unable to tell what is in their bag, the first they will know about it is when it goes off. That tends to be a little too late, no matter how fancy the CCTV system is.

Us Brits know all about CCTV and 'big brother'. A UK citizien is watched more by CCTV on a daily basis here than in any other country in the world.

As it stands, anyone with a BP and Passport could feasibly get a nasty package in their hand luggage anywhere airside at Changi and Suvarnabhumi. CCTV camera's are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard against such threats.

Comment

No more priority security clearance lanes.
                      That's not good news, especially for those multiple boarding areas. Although I suppose it was such a shambles anyway (basically not being enforced) that it won't make much difference.

Surprised to see Changi and SQ seemingly give up on something like this though.

Comment

Who pays for the priority line at security at Heathrow, BAA or the airlines?

I think priority line for premium passengers in all terminals is something Changi needs badly to maintain it's premier status in an increasingly competitive scene.

It seems that they can't agree on who should pay for it: Changi airport or SQ?

I think the airport should

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                          Who pays for the priority line at security at Heathrow, BAA or the airlines?
                          The airlines do, I think, but it does assume that the airport authority is willing / able to set up the priority lane.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            I don't see much difference between Changi and Suvarnabhumi.. They both have no security checks (aside from Changi's 'random' one, which is more of a token gesture) before you go airside, and both just require a BP and Passport to get there.
                            I agree...
                            As a pax with passport and BP, he/she can enter the departure hall in both airport without any security checks (x-ray etc).

Comment

Ok, the next time you pass the BP and PP checks at Changi, just look to the left and right walls before you step onto the line for immigration, beautiful mirrors adorn the walls......

I also trust that the person checking your BP and PP are trained enough to spot a trouble maker before letting you through.... and they selectively send pax to the x-ray machine before immigration.

Having security measures at Changi, like those in Manila, will destroy the image of the airport.....

Further, there must be tonnes of intelligence going on, without us lay people knowing....
                              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Working...
                              X