From ICN to Seoul and v.v.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From ICN to Seoul and v.v.

Need to get from ICN to downtown Seoul (Western CO-OP service apartment at Dongdaemun area).

Found 2 bus types from ICN
    1. KAL limousine (Namsan Route) (14,000 won) to Shilla Hotel
    2. Standard limousine (9,000 won on bus# 602: Cheongnyangni Station, Line 1, Jungang Line) to somewhere in Dongdaemun (i would guess Dongdaemun Station is the nearest stop to get to the service apartment)

and have to continue with a taxi (3,000-5,000 won) to get to this service apartment.

Questions:
    1. What is the difference between KAL and the standard limousine - apart from KAL being more expensive, but KAL helps passenger with luggage (can someone confirm this ? - certainly helps when travelling with kids)
    2. KAL stops at Shilla hotel - is taxi easy to get at Shilla?
    3. Is KAL limousine limited to Korean Air passengers only or all airline passengers ?

We have 2 adults and 2 children (age 3 and 6). Only 6yrs and above have to pay (Child 6-12 50% adult fare). Having studied the fares for KAL, total is approx 40,000 won including the taxi in Seoul. Still cheaper compared to taxi from ICN (estimate fare: 55,000 won and toll: 7,100 won).

Any alternative options and comments are welcome.
    Last edited by dsim; 13 September 2008, 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by dsim View Post
    1. What is the difference between KAL and the standard limousine - apart from KAL being more expensive, but KAL helps passenger with luggage (can someone confirm this ? - certainly helps when travelling with kids)
    KAL Limousine bus:

Standard (private service) bus:

Both services help passengers with luggage.
    KAL bus has 'VIP' type of seats, hence more expensive.

Don't know - perhaps somebody else can help on this.

3. Is KAL limousine limited to Korean Air passengers only or all airline passengers ?
    Any passenger can use the KAL limousine bus service.

Just queue at the appropriate point upon exit from the air-conditioned arrivals level of the airport:

I think the KAL limousine bus service should be ok for you. But, again, 10-15 dollars is not a big difference, so you may as well take a taxi. Take a taxi only from designated areas and not from any taxi drivers who may approach you individually before or after you exit the arrivals area; also do not tip, even if requested by any taxi driver, tipping is not obligatory in South Korea.

Comment

Questions:

Ultimately luck of the draw but as one of Seoul's premier hotels (indeed it's the one Koreans seem proudest of), it should not be difficult at all.

Comment

The KAL Limo Bus for the Shilla is the same one as the Millenium Hilton, which I used there and back earlier this month. Stop 11, number 2. Right in front of the ticket kiosk. The Shilla is the last stop on the route.

Comment

How about...

1. Take a train (AREX) and take off at Gimpo Airport.
          2. Take subway at Gimpo Airport and Get off at Dongdaemun Stadium Stn.
          3. Exit using Exit 12, then walk to Western CO-OP Residence (not sure how far to walk, from the map, it looks near).

but i guess the subway from Gimpo to Dongdaemun Stadium Stn would not cater for travellers with big luggage (as it is not meant to be an "airport express") ?

Comment

Is the consensus to take the KAL Limousine from ICN to the Park Hyatt Seoul (don't think it goes directly there, but have read that they have a rep at ICN that will call ahead to the hotel to have the shuttle waiting for you at _____ stop [don't know which stop/hotel that is])? Where does one go to catch this?

Many thanks.
            HUGE AL

Comment

I'd go with the Taxi, considering your party size. I love the KAL limo and it works really well, but with Kids in two, might be a bit better to just spend the 10-20000 more on taxi

Comment

Not much difference really, and actually the KAL is more spacious.. but why are we talking buses here? No private Maybach + entourage for our HUGE friend? Nothing but the best!

SQflyergirl: HUGE AL's party size is... 1.

The OP started the thread in 2008, and somebody resurrected it

Comment

I'd say go with the KAL limo - cheap as chips and so convenient. Nice comfy seats too.

To catch the KAL limo, simply walk out of the airport terminal where there are different pick up points with their destinations identified. There's a ticket booth, you can simply ask the staff there which bus to go on. It doesn't open till 6am however, and in which case you can simply pay cash directly to your driver.

This website might help if you're keen on doing research in advance:
                  http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/seoul.html

Park Hyatt's website has this to say:
                  By Airport Bus Service
                  The most cost-effective mode of transportation between Incheon International Airport and the hotel is via the Korea City Airport Terminal (KCAT) limousine buses. The buses arrive at the KCAT (Korea City Airport Terminal), which is conveniently located near the hotel in the Korea World Trade Centre complex. Tickets may be purchased from counters located at terminals 3B and 10B. Upon arrival at the KCAT, approach the information desk and ask for the Park Hyatt shuttle, a pick-up service for the hotel that takes approximately ten minutes.

The journey from the airport to the hotel by airport bus takes approximately 90 minutes.
                  The bus stops right outside the W.
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 29 August 2009, 09:56 AM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    The OP started the thread in 2008, and somebody resurrected it
                    Yes. Being considerate to the other members of our community, I SEARCH!

And as I constantly say, if relevant information is in one place, it will help others looking for the same tips!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                    The bus stops right outside the W.
                    hahahahaha If the W is involved, KeithMEL will know the answers!
                    HUGE AL

Comment

So, will you be going for the bus, taxi or private limo?

Comment

SQfg, the airport limousine bus goes directly to the Ibis Myeong-dong now. Limousine bus No 6015. At exit 5B and 12A.

I'm sorry I don't know the schedule. I was unaware of the service until I got to the hotel this evening. Took the KAL bus to Lotte Hotel and crossed the street using the underpass (as you stated in your TR).

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                          SQfg, the airport limousine bus goes directly to the Ibis Myeong-dong now. Limousine bus No 6015. At exit 5B and 12A.

I'm sorry I don't know the schedule. I was unaware of the service until I got to the hotel this evening. Took the KAL bus to Lotte Hotel and crossed the street using the underpass (as you stated in your TR).
                          Ok. Will come in handy for Friday morning. This i suppose, is NOT the KAL limo then?

Comment

Just spoke to front desk. It's non-KAL. Service started two months ago. We can get tickets from the front desk for departure to ICN. Runs every 20 mins.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post

It does? When I took it Nov'08 and Apr'09, it went pass the Ibis, turned the corner and stopped at a bus stop. Took about 2-3 mins to walk back to the Ibis.

you mean 6015 only started 2 months back??? strange, I've taken it twice already.
                              yes, its non-KAL but less expensive. OK, less legroom/width also. 2-2 vs 2-1

Comment

Working...
                              X