Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA introduces BOB in Y on TATL flights out of IAD [decision rescinded]

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...terstitialskip

United Airlines, struggling to curb losses from record fuel prices, will become the first U.S. carrier to stop serving free meals in the coach cabin of some overseas flights.

Instead, the second-largest U.S. carrier will offer food that can be purchased aboard trips to Europe from Washington's Dulles International Airport starting Oct. 1, spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said today in an interview.
    V bad industry precedent...

There's also a big discussion on the TOF UA forum about other cuts UA has decided to implement for its domestic services.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

It isn't just international. UA 3-class domestic business will also be BOB

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
      It isn't just international. UA 3-class domestic business will also be BOB
      Thats a stupid move if I ever saw one.

Comment

My jaw just dropped.............

I didn't think they were bone-head enough to actually go through with this. I know that UA has been constantly becoming less generous when it comes to snacks and meals, but this is pushing it. Why can't they just raise ticket prices slightly to offset the prices of food? Its simple really. And plus, it would improve their image.

"This is a new era of a fee for every service. We should get used to it."

That's BS.
        Last edited by sqforever; 22 August 2008, 12:51 PM.
        Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
          Thats a stupid move if I ever saw one.
          From UA's perspective it makes sense (like not giving Y+ for non-UA *G). Those who pay for business class are often non-americans on international tickets. Discourage them from those flights and hope to sell more O&D (at higher yields). That is a fine line though - cut too much and no-one will buy and so UA won't get hoped-for results.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
            "This is a new era for a fee for every service. We should get used to it."
            UA & US seem to be in a stupid race to the bottom. CO is sitting in a pretty position if they can join *A before UA and US lose too many customers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
              UA 3-class domestic business will also be BOB
              Does that also cover their PS flights?

Comment

Yup

PS = Poor Sucker (paid for business and just get a better seat)

Comment

Just read that they increase the prices too of BOB:

Effective Oct. 1

Increasing Buy on Board Prices

• Shelf-stable items increase from $5 to $6.

• Fresh items increase from $7 to $9.

Comment

This is really beyond idiotic. The average incremental revenue from this must be somewhat less than $10 per pax, considering not pax will buy something. As a percentage of ticket revenue per TATL Y or intra-US J, this is miniscule. Why on earth not just raise fares or surcharges by $20 and save a whole lot of customer goodwill??

Comment

Other cuts detailed in a company memo as posted on TOF:
                      http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856973
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

If no other US-based airline follows this example, the damage to UA's brand is not going to be insignificant.

This change definitely makes me avoid *A to IAD.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                          This is really beyond idiotic. The average incremental revenue from this must be somewhat less than $10 per pax, considering not pax will buy something. As a percentage of ticket revenue per TATL Y or intra-US J, this is miniscule. Why on earth not just raise fares or surcharges by $20 and save a whole lot of customer goodwill??
                          Absolutely. Since when did $20 made a difference in airfares anyway?
                          Life's A Bitch,
                          Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

One of the thing which I've always been bewildered about is the fact that why is it when Airlines like EasyJet and RyanAir can make profits out of their spectacular low fares, and none of the American Airlines could do so?

Whats exactly so special about the Americans exactly?
                            Life's A Bitch,
                            Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Originally posted by inix View Post
                              One of the thing which I've always been bewildered about is the fact that why is it when Airlines like EasyJet and RyanAir can make profits out of their spectacular low fares, and none of the American Airlines could do so?

Whats exactly so special about the Americans exactly?
                              Oh, one of the things seems to be that they attract such sweeping generalizations from people?

Check your facts. Southwest Airlines is a profitable airline, and guess what, it's an American airline -- the one whose business model was copied and adapted by Ryanair, by the way.
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 23 August 2008, 03:33 PM. Reason: wording
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                              X