Typical Tourist Question on Gastrointestinal Distress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Tourist Question on Gastrointestinal Distress

The nickbots fascinating travel report brings to mind a question I have, being new to world travel. What better place than the web site for enthusiasts of a Singapore based airline to ask such a question, as I can see that all of y’all travel extensively. Next year my plan is to visit Singapore and Hong Kong on the way back from a cruise that ends in Dubai. While reading many trip reports I see that everyone eats whatever they encounter in the various lounges in airports. However, Mr. nickbot appears to have taken ill from something he ate along the way. I assume this was outside the airport. In another case a fellow reports that despite being originally from India, he fell victim to gastrointestinal distress on returning for a visit. How then does one know what is and what is not safe for the average pampered American tourist? Should I assume that all airport food, in lounges and airport based shops, is safe? What about street food, as well as local restaurants? I see Singapore has an inspection program along these lines.

This will help you. Alternatively, you can go to your country's excellent Centre for Disease Control (CDC) website for reference.

Comment

Thanks SQFAN. I will acquire a copy of that. I would also like to hear about personal experiences. Who does and does not do what and why.

Comment

Just expand the link given above as it has the views of other posters.

Comment

I think you'll be very safe in Singapore, Paint Horse. The government is very serious about hygiene standards -- it's the place in the world where I feel safest when I eat 'street' (i.e., hawker) food. The only way I can see a problem coming up is if your stomach isn't accustomed to spicy food.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Ok. I didn't see the link hiding up there. I will read through that as well.

Comment

I would have no problem about eating in any of the airports you mentioned. However in some more remote ones I would not tocuh the food unless it followed the same rules I use when travelling to places with poor food hygiene standards

Don't drink the water this includes, ice, brushing my teeeth and showering.
              Don't eat any raw food unless you can peel it, so no salads or fruits that can not be peeled.
              Go to restaurants which are popular with locals as they know where is best and it means that if it is busy then then food will not be sitting around.
              Make sure your food is thouroughly cooked.
              Wash your hands frequently (most stomach diseases are transferred onto the food rather than being in it).

Unfortunately you can be as careful as possible but still get sick as the cause of most minor stomach upsets is just your body reacting to new food and exhaustion from travel. Although there is not much you can do about this you can minimise the risks by trying to get enough sleep and also not overeating.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                I think you'll be very safe in Singapore, Paint Horse. The government is very serious about hygiene standards -- it's the place in the world where I feel safest when I eat 'street' (i.e., hawker) food. The only way I can see a problem coming up is if your stomach isn't accustomed to spicy food.
                A little OT for the Hobart TR jjpb3 ...but completely agree, 99% of my stomach upsets are caused by the spiciness of the food. I love spicy food, but it doesn't love me, but I'm prepared to accept the pain for the pleasure I get from eating it! [feel free to move this post!]

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                  A little OT for the Hobart TR jjpb3 ...but completely agree, 99% of my stomach upsets are caused by the spiciness of the food. I love spicy food, but it doesn't love me, but I'm prepared to accept the pain for the pleasure I get from eating it! [feel free to move this post!]
                  A little? What an understatement. I must have been half-asleep when I posted that.

Problems solved (the OT-ness of the comment and the mystery of what happened to something I thought I'd written).
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Get Lacteol Fort from the pharmacy. 4 Tablets a day and your stomach is iron clad. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                      Interesting. The thing I hate most about food while I am traveling is the lack of spice. Most food seems so bland compared to home cooking here in Texas.

Comment

Don't worry Paint Horse, as others have said as long as you follow the basic rules of hygiene which is a no-brainer, then there should be no problems in Singapore. One potential problem I should point out though is coconut milk. I know people who have eaten food in Singapore such as Cendol (sweet dessert drink with a heavy dose of coconut milk) and wished they hadn't later. Same goes for some curries. Plus, Singapore holds very high standards in the cleanliness department like jjpb3 pointed out and the tap water is definitely safe.
                        Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                          This will help you. Alternatively, you can go to your country's excellent Centre for Disease Control (CDC) website for reference.
                          Originally posted by Lobster
                          I would have no problem about eating in any of the airports you mentioned. However in some more remote ones I would not tocuh the food unless it followed the same rules I use when travelling to places with poor food hygiene standards

Don't drink the water this includes, ice, brushing my teeeth and showering.
                          Don't eat any raw food unless you can peel it, so no salads or fruits that can not be peeled.
                          Go to restaurants which are popular with locals as they know where is best and it means that if it is busy then then food will not be sitting around.
                          Make sure your food is thouroughly cooked.
                          Wash your hands frequently (most stomach diseases are transferred onto the food rather than being in it).

Unfortunately you can be as careful as possible but still get sick as the cause of most minor stomach upsets is just your body reacting to new food and exhaustion from travel. Although there is not much you can do about this you can minimise the risks by trying to get enough sleep and also not overeating.
                          Excellent advice.
                          Originally posted by PaintHorse
                          ...home cooking here in Texas.
                          Food from Texas, especially South Texas... Yummo.

Comment

Working...
                          X