Connecting at SFO from SQ to VX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting at SFO from SQ to VX

If arriving at SFO on SQ16 (1105hrs) how much time should I allow to clear US Customs and Immigration, collect baggage and to check-in for a domestic Virgin America flight to LAX.

VX 1847 at 13:40 is impossible, VX 1851 at 15:35 is a surer bet. enjoy SQ & VX.

Comment

As an alien I allow a minimum of 60 minutes to clear US immigration and customs (at LAX and SFO). Fortunately VX uses the same terminal so won't take long to get to check in. A minimum of 45 minutes for check in and security.

The 1340 flight should in theory be possible (more likely if in premium cabin for both flights).

Comment

Would be great if it was premium cabin, but it will be Y so I'll just be one of the masses being subjected to US interrogation, although I hear that SFO is easier (or should I say more welcoming) than LAX.

Comment

I think your arrival time coincides with the arrival of a couple of other long-hauls. If you're in Y, 90 minutes might be closer to what would be comfortable for clearing immigration/customs and checking in for your VX flight.
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by soak01 View Post
            If arriving at SFO on SQ16 (1105hrs) how much time should I allow to clear US Customs and Immigration, collect baggage and to check-in for a domestic Virgin America flight to LAX.
            Looking up schedule, it seems you will travel after November 2. The minimum connecting time at SFO is about 1 hour 45 minutes. Thus, if you look up connecting possibilities, the first possible connection of SQ16 to LAX is UA flight which departs at 1pm. I don't know what time the departure time of Virgin America to LAX, but as long as after 1pm, or about 2 hours connection, it will work.

Since SFO is your first entry into the US, you have to clear immigration and customs there. I believe around the same time there would be other airlines arrival, UA from NRT. If your bags tag all the way to LAX, once you clearcustoms, the officer will direct you to "connection" exit door (towards left). Once you get out from the exit, you turn right, and there should be a drop-off check-through bags. Otherwise, follow the right direction corridor, and head for the departure level. The escalator/lift will take you near the food court South side, and Virgin America check-in are would be near there.

If your bags just tag up to SFO, the custom officer will direct you to the right exit door, where you will be greeted by people waiting for their family and friend. Go to the left corridor towards South terminal, and go up one floor for departure check-in area. You will find VX counter easily.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I think your arrival time coincides with the arrival of a couple of other long-hauls. If you're in Y, 90 minutes might be closer to what would be comfortable for clearing immigration/customs and checking in for your VX flight.
              Right - late morning there are lots of asian, european and pacific arrivals at SFO.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, Miss SQ. (Nice handle )
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                  Welcome to SQTalk, Miss SQ. (Nice handle )
                  I'll second that,...welcome to SQTalk ma'am

Comment

Working...
                  X