Don Muaeng ready to re-open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don Muaeng ready to re-open?

The Thai government is considering reopening Bangkok's old international airport, just three months after it closed to make way for the much-heralded Suvarnabhumi airport, an official said Thursday.

source: AFP
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

It's congested already? That's definitely poor planning. I'm quite shocked. What a waste of US$4.3 billion.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/21Dec2006_news03.php
    Last edited by globetrekker84; 21 December 2006, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Madness. I went through Suvarnabhumi at the weekend and thought it was beginning to find it's feet. Granted there are a number They were talking about the LCC's using Don Muang before but what a pain of a transfer that would be.

I can't help thinking maybe they are looking at this because Thaksin decided the other way ?. Remember T.I.T.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
        I can't help thinking maybe they are looking at this because Thaksin decided the other way ?. Remember T.I.T.
        Looks like the airport is crumbling already:

Poor construction at Suvarnabhumi may force parts of the new airport to be shut down for repairs. This would open the way for the recently abandoned Don Muang airport to be re-opened to serve Bangkok's air traffic needs.
        Some people had suggested the airport, open less than three months, be completely closed for a revamp, with flights being redirected to Don Muang until the improvements are completed, Mr Sansern said. He was opposed to that. Trying to move everything back to Don Muang would cause chaos.
        Opening the airport before it was completed had inevitably led to problems. If the opening had been delayed to allow work to be finished properly, the airport would have started on a more solid footing.
        The report attributed the faults to substandard construction, poor management and manipulation of designs and materials.

The report said the airport's information technology facilities were incomplete and the upper floors of the car park building have no drains, causing rain water to flow into elevator shafts.

Over 1,000 lamps had already burned out and not been replaced.
        (continued here: The Bangkok Post)

Comment

Yikes!

Comment

Sawasdee kaa! Welcome to Thailand Same same but different you know? no money no honey!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Same same but different you know?
              You mean SQflyergirl vs. TGflyergirl? Same same (person) but different you know (handle)?

Just Kidding!

Anyways sticking to another related topic, if they were to temporary close down Chek Lap Kok and reopen Kai Tak even just for a few days, I'll definately be booking a Kai Tak bound flight immediately.
              Not gonna happen though as some of Kai Tak's runway grounds have been converted into golf courses.
              Last edited by Rejuvenated; 26 December 2006, 02:28 PM.
              My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
                as some of Kai Tak's runway grounds have been converted into golf courses.
                Now..... that would make me book a flight. Landing on a golf course no less.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated
                  Not gonna happen though as some of Kai Tak's runway grounds have been converted into golf courses.
                  FORE!

"Oh no. My ball got sucked in the engine. Mulligan."

Comment

Working...
                  X