Short mid-summer Mediterranean escape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short mid-summer Mediterranean escape

Once upon a time (somewhere around the third week of July '08) there was a loner expat who got (once again) fed up with work & study dhere in South Korea and suddenly decided to take advantage of the yard's official closing for a few days. His usual web sanctuary, singaporeair.com, showed no availability for the desired departure date on the ICN-SIN leg, so that was the best excuse to leave with the immediately previous SQ flight, two days earlier. With the familiar click of the "Proceed with booking" button all was set for another escape to Athens, Greece for sunshine, swimming in Mediterranean waters, see family and friends and enjoy good food.

Trip was PUS-GMP on OZ domestic Y (B737-500), followed by change of airport in Seoul and then ICN-SIN-ATH on SQ J (772ER). This was my first flight on OZ and also my first on the SQ J SpaceBed product.

Being lazy as usual I did not take many pics (for example no menus pics) throughout this trip, but I hope next time I'll do better. Competition is hard to beat anyway (e.g. nickbots' truly excellent TR ) so I guess in the TRs to come I'll really have to exceed myself.

The feeling is always nice when going back home. May be it's the place here (which sadly isn't truly representative of South Korea), may be it's the loneliness, I don't know. And to be honest, I don't care any more. Hopefully pretty soon it'll either be Shanghai, Dalian, S'pore or Hong Kong.

I took my car and left for Gimhae Airport (PUS). It's a 2-hr drive from here (for those who drive 'carefully' or those who obey those revenue-generating fixed speed cameras religiously). To the dissatisfaction of the local 'enforcers' I do not belong to either of the two aforementioned driver categories and regularly pilot my 2.0L Daewoo Tosca through the short and numerous tunnels from here to Pusan at a ground speed of 165-195 km/h. Terrorizing the masses is not something I agree or comply with. To them they can 'enforce' anything they like - but with me it's exactly the opposite. Anarchy, on the other hand, is exactly the opposite and not nice at all, but living under a state of continuous 'enforcement' is not something I was raised to agree with or obey. More on this (with pictures, of course) in one of my upcoming TRs.

I arrived in PUS (domestic terminal) approx 45' before the flight. Proceeded to the OZ check-in desk and checked in two items. Total weight was 32.1kg. Agent immediately mentioned I am overweight and have to pay. Replied back that although I am KF*S, I am connecting to SQ J at ICN; then agent asked to see my SQ e-ticket and upon presenting it I was clear to check in w/o extra cost.

Went through security and immigration control, and proceeded to the waiting area at the designated departure gate:

Aircraft was a B737-500 (reg. HL 7233):

Upon call for boarding, we proceeded to the aircraft:

a scene after the first passengers went onboard:

Aircraft was not full, and soon we got cleared for take-off on time:

Photography is prohibited in all areas inside or close to South Korea's airports, even if you're on a plane landing or taking off. But I now recall that earlier on we were saying something about people who don't really comply with 'enforcements', weren't we?

Legroom:

In no more than 40 minutes, we were landing at Gimpo (GMP), the second main airport of Seoul.
    Last edited by N_Architect; 3 August 2008, 12:27 AM.

Landing at GMP:

When a traveler arrives at GMP and wants to transfer to ICN, there are two alternatives: bus and taxi. Bus is either the Korea Air Limousine (KRW 6,500 / USD 6.50 for the 40 mins drive) or an independent bus service (KRW 5,000 / USD 5.00). Both are located right outside the GMP arrivals domestic terminal, so it is actually quite convenient.

On the outward leg I took the latter, and on the way back I took the former.

Outward leg, GMP-ICN, using private (independent) bus service:

Bus legroom:

Arriving at ICN after 40 minutes, I proceeded for check-in at the SQ desks ("K" area). Y pax have already started to queue:

Time was shortly after 2pm, and flights for YVR and SIN were checking-in.
    Waiting for business class check-in:

Got invitation to the ICN SKL (on SQ BP) and separate invitation to the Asiana Business Lounge, which I ended up visiting for a short period:

Snacks and drinks area:

Then proceeded to the departure gate (#122):

Small and cosy rest area just next to the departure gate:

Which bird was about to take us to SIN?

Last edited by N_Architect; 3 August 2008, 12:45 AM.

Comment

A quick view of the J cabin:

J cabin was almost full, departure was on time (SQ609, 1630hrs LT), flight was uneventful, service was great, and after a six and something hours we arrived at SIN (2145 hrs LT).
      I was on 14F, and zvezda is spot on when he says that after you've done the SQ J SpaceBed product, you feel pretty awkward if you have to use LH C by necessity...

Time to visit SKL:

Pretty busy till about 2330 hrs, then got quieter.

Next flight was 0100 hrs, SIN-ATH, SQ348. Bird was SVI (772ER two-class). Apologies, no pictures, was nighttime.
      Again, service was great, the lobster thermidor was quite nice, flight was uneventful, duration 11hrs 35 minutes, arrival in warm Athens (28 deg. C) at 7am LT.
      Last edited by N_Architect; 7 August 2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Interestingly, I will be going to Athens end of next month. Still haven't decided on the airline yet Deciding between BA (chance to sample their WTP product) or EK (hate those very early morning arrival and departure in Dubai, but, a much cheaper offering).

Comment

Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
          Interestingly, I will be going to Athens end of next month. Still haven't decided on the airline yet Deciding between BA (chance to sample their WTP product) or EK (hate those very early morning arrival and departure in Dubai, but, a much cheaper offering).
          One of the reasons EK is cheaper is because they fit 10 across on the 777-300ER in Y (compared to 9 across on SQ's 777-200ER that regularly flies the SIN-ATH route or the 77W that flies numerous other routes). And the EK birds to ATH are usually full in Y and C. EK's C product is also considerably cheaper compared to SQ, but of course you always get what you pay for.
          Last edited by N_Architect; 2 August 2008, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Your reports aren't too scruffy!

Never been to Korea except in transit so your reports makes interesting reading

Comment

Athens, Greece

While in a bookshop in one of Athens' nothern suburbs, I came across a small photo book, called "Athens" (TeNeues editions). This brought thoughts to go out and take pics of the city, and post them here.

But time was short, and I didn't do it. I feel, however, it is an excellent opportunity for me to express myself by bringing you guys and gals shots of my 'hometown'. I wanted to go to the city center, to the outskirts, and capture the beat of the place. Sounds easy, but it isn't, for those who have had creative photographic attempts before.

I promised my self I'll do it soonest possible, in my next visit to Athens, preferably. So I hope next time around I'll have some good material for all of you.

Went to the beach, and on that day there was a fire nearby. The Canadairs were dipping their belly in the blue waters, filling their tanks for one more spraying dive.

Sadly fires have become a way of living for us in Greece. Ever since I was a kid I remember my country being burned every summer. The damage for the environment huge, for the lives of our children and grandchildren equally devastating.

And after all the good and happy times I had there for a week, time came to leave and come back to 'base'.

Departure day, Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos" parking area and on the right the Sofitel Airport hotel:

Took a couple more pics, but the rechargeable battery run out (), so had to buy new ones from the newsagents inside the airport. The good thing with this camera is that if you are left anywhere w/o any battery, it also takes two AAAs, so you have an alternative 'means of propulsion' (hehe - that was for the Mariners - SQTalkers!) as we say at work.

Check-in desks, Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos":

Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos", general public area with shops, prior to entering boarding control and duty-free area:

First floor, McDonalds and the spot where you can see the runway:

Two restaurants/cafes adjacent to McDonalds, same area (I think the second pic is the new McCafe):

Right in front of the McDonalds restaurant, the SQ bird (SVJ) was waiting to take us to SIN:

Was invited to the Olympic Airlines Lounge "Aristotelis Onassis", but was with my two little nephews, so couldn't be bothered to go early.
              Finally went to the lounge 15 minutes before scheduled departure (typical Greek, typically late...) and upon entering got a very nice feeling, nice area.
              But the Lounge Dragons (OA ladies) told me they had already sent all SQ pax for boarding.

Then I heard my name on the latest official airport announcement for boarding and was the last pax to board the J cabin, seat 15A. Next to me a girl from Singapore (late 30s I reckon), who had gone to Santorini island for holidays, single (I reckon). Pity I started chatting her up one minute and 30 seconds after landing at Changi...
              Last edited by N_Architect; 7 August 2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Flight SQ347 left ATH 1315 hrs, arrived Changi aroung 0500 hrs next day. Flight time was 10 hrs 50 mins, if I'm not wrong. Was connecting to SQ608 (codeshared with OZ, by the way), departing 0800 hrs. If one wants to take the 77W (instead of the 772ER) to ICN, he/she can wait little more than an hour and catch the 0915 hrs SQ16 to ICN (and then off to SFO).

Met a lovely girl named Nurul at the one of the fragrances duty-free shops in Changi T3, who helped me buy a couple of items.

The bird (SVN) that would take us to ICN:

Slept almost during the whole flight to Korea. Could never manage to sleep before, when flying Y. Now don't miss a chance, though...

Upon arrival to ICN, took some pics of the cabin:

Legroom:

And now, ICN, in the train to go to the main terminal:

Luggage came really quick. Upon exit, waiting for the KAL bus:

Boarded the bus - here the seats are really 'SpaceBed' type, wide and more comfortable:

After 40 mins we arrived at GMP, to take the OZ flight back to PUS. No probs with weight excess, this time (that doesn't mean I wasn't overweight, but as you may appreciate being SQ*G helps little bit more now...). This time it was books, olives and olive oil (Greek olive oil, original stuff, not the to-be-used-for-IC-engines stuff they sell here...).

Waiting at the gate to take the OZ bird (again the HL 7233):

Our bird coming from PUS, ready to disembark pax and take us back to PUS in a few minutes:

Arrived in PUS just before 1900 hrs, got the car from the parking lot, set off for home (this time not at 165 km/h...), was in couple of hours later.

So that was it.

Missing the nephews and niece at home, the nightlife, the sand and the sea, playing volleyball on the beach while listening to nice radio music.
                Missing all those things that take me back ten or fifteen years ago.

Pity that you can love a place only for holidays and not for working there as well. Working back home was a real hell for nine years, and this was one of the reasons that brought me here in Asia.

But no matter what, home is home. So, next flight back (on SQ, of course) is in around six weeks, fortunately.
                Hopefully then I'll take more pics from the trip and from the city.
                Last edited by N_Architect; 12 August 2008, 08:41 AM. Reason: Added pictures

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                  No probs with weight excess, this time (that doesn't mean I wasn't overweight, but as you may appreciate being SQ*G helps little bit more now...).
                  Was this the trip that took you over the threshold? If so, congrats!
                  This time it was books, olives and olive oil (Greek olive oil, original stuff, not the to-be-used-for-IC-engines Italian stuff they sell here...).

Missing the nephews and niece at home, the nightlife, the sand and the sea, playing volleyball on the beach while listening to nice radio music.
                  Missing all those things that take me back ten or fifteen years ago.

Pity that you can love a place only for holidays and not for working there as well. Working back home was a real hell for nine years, and this was one of the reasons that brought me here in Asia.

But no matter what, home is home.
                  Sounds like you had a lovely trip home, N_Architect. Thanks for sharing.
                  So, next flight back (on SQ, of course) is in around six weeks, fortunately.
                  Hopefully then I'll take more pics from the trip and from the city.
                  Please do.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    Was this the trip that took you over the threshold? If so, congrats!
                    First of all, thank you for your kind comments.

Yes, planned trips were one in Sept and one next May. This would bring me just below 25k (with rough estimates) next June. But having just done this extra trip, I am *G now, and end of Sept I'll be PPS. Flying home to take some good rest and having all these nostalgic feelings again is all about these trips. Status is nothing compared to this. But I admit, I'm falling for SQ.

By the way, the Sept trip includes a week in ATH, one week in IST (with a stay at the IC), another week in BUD (with another stay at the local IC), and concludes with another week in ATH.

So there's a lot to come...
                    Last edited by N_Architect; 3 August 2008, 04:44 PM. Reason: Added text

Comment

Nice TR, will definitely be including ATH as a must-visit next year for me.

Thanks very much for sharing, Pusan looks a bit gloomy though (but I'm invited there for skiing during the winter season *us shipping ppl love water in all its forms* , hopefully it looks a bit better during that time)

Propel away!

Comment

Thank you so much! I've been looking all over the net for a pic of the KAL bus as well as the arrival area at ICN! Great report

Comment

Love the pictures

I feel like I'm flying too.

Practiced taking some in-cabin pictures (flash/without flash) on my recent PEK trip.

Didn't come out well

Maybe it's my camera.. point-and-shoot CASIO EXILIM 5.0 Mega

BTW jeans... the secret for not sliding down the SpaceBed

Comment

Thanks for the TR, N_Architect!

I have fond memories of Athens and the Greek people after spending 3 months working in Piraeus in 1997. Where it's perfectly normal to go out for dinner at midnight, sitting outside in the warm air and cool breezes, Greek food and wine - magic!

Comment

Great TR, N_Architect!!
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X