Flight: SQ231
    Aircraft: B747-400
    ETD: 0030
    ATD: 0031
    ETA: 0955
    ATA: 0957
    Flight Time: 7.43 hrs
    Seat: 11A (Business)

This flight closes the chapter on my enjoyable winter break (Southern hemisphere). 25 days on the go - 8 flights and lots eating.
    I left the house at 9.00 pm and got to the airport by 9.25pm, could have been faster if the KPE (Kallang Paya-Lebar Expressway) speed limit was 90km/h instead of the pathetic 70km/h. Singapore uses lots of acronyms!
    Proceed to very deserted Row 6 for check-in and was ushered to the counter. Along the way, I passed Row 3, which had a long snaking queue for Economy while Row 4, which was for passengers to bag drop after doing an online check-in, or SMS check in was “queueless”. Check-in was a painless affair, handed my KrisFlyer card, passport, e-ticket to the check-in agent. Boarding pass was issued promptly and to my delight, it was the new wider boarding pass for Business class. I know some frequent flyers prefer the previous generation ones but I like the newer one. I don’t misplace it that easily.

Wider Boarding Pass

Immigration clearance was fast with the E-IACS counters. They should clean the fingerprint scanners more frequently. There was a layer of oil on mine. Yucks! After which I proceeded to DFS to pick up a brick of oxygen sticks which was rock bottom cheap. Imagine a pack costs S$2 at DFS but it’s $10 at landside. A visit to the T3 SilverKris Lounge was next on the list.
    T3 SilverKris Lounge

Main Entrance

Seat Area

Had some drinks and a few nibbles. Coffee was lovely! It’s so much better than the T2 SKL but I would rather go the KF*G lounge just next door as it’s less busy ignoring the fact that there aren’t any attached washrooms. The lounge was packed when I got in at 10.30 pm but people started leaving by 11.00 pm. By the time I left at 11.45, there were many pockets of empty seats.
    Boarding was at B2, which meant that it the multiple gate holding area. Security clearance was slow. SLOW. 3 lines, no priority line at all. Took me 20 minutes to get through. This was a 747 flight not an A380 flight!

Flight
    Aircraft today was 9V-SPL. One of the “newer” B744s in the fleet but it had the older fittings.
    Had a glass of Piper Heidsieck for my pre-flight drink.
    Push backed a minute behind scheduled and taxied to 20C for take off.
    Made a feeble attempt to plane spot while taxing with the A710IS. Still it’s better for doing trip reports compared to the 1-series.
    9V-VLB

Had some more bubbly after take off and I slept till breakfast.

Sunrise over Australia

I had made a BTC (Book The Cook) reservation when I made my flight bookings and selected Nasi biryani.

Fruits

Nasi biryani

Nasi biryani was so-so. Fragrant smell but just didn’t taste right. Rice was hard and under cooked. Chicken pieces were too dry. Doesn’t taste as good as it used to on BTC.

menu

To allow you a longer period of undisturbed rest, please let us know your preference for the following meal service options:

- To be served your meal soon after take-off
    OR
    - To be served your meal about 2 hours before arrival

To Start With
    A choice of apple, tomato or freshly squeezed orange juice

The Main Event
    Singapore nasi lemak
    Malay style coconut rice with spicy prawns, peanuts, ikan bilis, grilled fish cake, egg omelette and fried chicken
    A local favourite served with sambal chilli

Warm focaccia with chicken, pesto spread and fontina cheese, grilled vegetables

Braised rice vermicelli with scallops, prawns, fish and leafy greens

American Breakfast
    Fruit yoghurt
    Poached egg with bacon, sauteed spinach, tomato and potatoes
    Bread selection with preserves

Continental Breakfast
    Assorted bread with preserves

Prawn noodle soup
    Noodles in broth served with prawn and fish cake

Your meal will be served with a selection of sliced fresh fruits

A Connoisseur's Choice
    Gourmet coffee
    Selection of tea
    After breakfast was cleared, we began our descent into overcast Sydney touching down on 16R 2 minutes after scheduled arrival.
    Being one of the first out of the plane meant no queues for a 10.00 am arrival which meant that I could save the fast track pass for another day.

Express Pass

Was cleared by a customs official at the carousal and I was home 30 minutes after touch down.
    Service: 9/10 Food: 7/10 Aircraft: 8/10

Excellent report thank you Nick C - was confused for a little while about a "brick of oxygen sticks", but think I know what you mean!

Comment

What are oxygen sticks?

The one 007 has to breathe underwater?

I wonder why Changi Airport hasn't instituted a priority lane at security check for first and biz passengers. Common complaint in many TR.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Ahh, the old Tropical Megatop SPL

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
          Excellent report thank you Nick C - was confused for a little while about a "brick of oxygen sticks", but think I know what you mean!
          They do breathe a life into those who need it badly

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          What are oxygen sticks?

The one 007 has to breathe underwater?

I wonder why Changi Airport hasn't instituted a priority lane at security check for first and biz passengers. Common complaint in many TR.

Thanks for sharing.
          Dunhills

I expected to see a priority line after leaving the lounge so I could settle into my spacebed comfortably but there wasn't one

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
          Ahh, the old Tropical Megatop SPL
          Was quite disappointed to see SPL though. Was hoping to fly SPA/SPG/SPI/SPO.

Comment

Flew SPA about 7 months ago on SQ232 and the Economy section was rather worn out, seat pockets coming loose, that kind of thing.

Comment

Working...
            X