Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kelvgoh does the Kangaroo (and a little more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelvgoh does the Kangaroo (and a little more)

(health warning. lots of words and very few pictures)

Hello there!

As the title suggests, I’ll be flying halfway round the world and back over the next 28 days or so. As such, I thought I should chip in with my first ever trip report here.

22nd July 2008

The day started out innocently enough, me lugging my luggage from my place in Wapping to Tower Hill tube, and taking the District Line on to Hammersmith for the Piccadilly Line.

I usually advise most people flying out of T3 to arrive about 2.5 hours before your flight was due to take off, but perhaps I need to listen to myself a little more often. My flight was at 11.55am, and at 9am I was still unhurriedly strolling to the tube station.

In a sense, I think my lack of urgency is due to the (long overdue) acceptance that you can’t avoid queuing in rows at Heathrow – the earlier you arrive, the longer you have to stand upright. But no matter, I managed to join the check-in queue at about 10.30am.

Checking-in

Having made a conscious decision not to check-in online, I was interested to see how fast the standard queue moved relative to the internet check in queue. For the A380, I did note that they opened 3 internet check-in counters and two economy class check-in counters. With only one of the three internet check-in counters manned, the standard queue moved much faster.

It’s the same story as my last LHR-SIN run in March- the internet check-in counter is not necessarily the fastest.

So there I was, standing there, lost in my iPod, when one of the Heathrow queue managers plucked me out of the queue and asked me to check in at the Suites counter. It’s a cheap thrill, but it felt both strange and exhilarating standing on a red carpet in front of an extremely courteous check-in agent, who went the extra mile to tag my luggage with First Class priority tags (to ensure it got to the plane), and a verbal query whether I was confident of getting onto the flight in time.

I don’t mean to say that other classes of passengers are treated as lesser human beings, but it did feel good that in an airport that is usually cold and unwelcoming, someone actually did care whether you would make it to the gate.

The check-in process was extremely fast, and it was a with a hollow feeling – knowing that it would be highly unlikely that I’ll ever get to stand on that red carpet to check-in again, that I turned away from the counter and proceeded upstairs to clear security and immigration.

Security and immigration

This is going to sound surprising for LHR. I cleared security and immigration at Heathrow in a grand total of 5 minutes. I think the trick is to be very aware of one’s surroundings, and not be afraid to go under barriers to the far end of the hall to use the other X-ray machines.

There were four counters open at the far end of the hall with no visible queue, yet so many of the passengers joining the queue from the check-in desks in and around Zones D and beyond automatically follow the crowd. It probably is down to poor traffic flow by the airport staff, but if one is unfamiliar with the airport, and in a rush, it can be massively delaying.

I cleared x-ray and moved on to the passport check. Cleared that in a jiffy, and proceeded to join the queue at the shoe x-ray. Surprisingly, was waved through that as well so some more additional time saved.

Boarding and the flight

Airbus A380-841, 9V-SKC
    Upper Deck, seat 80G, Emergency Exit row
    Departing from Gate 7

It was a nice surprise that for a change, I didn’t have to walk 20 minutes to get to an SQ boarding gate. It looked like a short 5 minute walk. Taking a slow stroll, I passed by the SAS lounge, and later the SKL en route to the boarding gate. Another time perhaps. Oh, and passed by the Emirates Lounge too, now that is one good looking lounge.

The gate allocated to my flight was one of LHR’s new A380 ready gates. Just from the picture itself, you can see how much larger it is compared to the cramped quarters at other LHR gates.

At one corner of the gate there was also a small bar area where you could munch on food or use your laptop (power points available).

As boarding for the upper deck had already commenced when I reached the Gate, I hurriedly took a few shots of the plane and the gate, and proceeded to board.

The A380

I have been exclusively flying the SQ 747-400 for all my long-haul flights for the past five years. Apart from the 773 I flew to HKG in March, this would be the first time in 8 years that I’m trying a totally new plane.

Mentally, I was building up expectations of what flying the A380 would be like – especially since I have been pretty vocal about how dated the SQ 747s looked. But as I boarded, and walked through the plane to my seat, I was seriously underwhelmed. But it’s okay, it probably is just down to me building too many sandcastles in the sky.

As I approached my seat, I realised the first problem - there wasn’t an overhead compartment. I think I’ve mentioned before that I usually travel with my saxophone, and while the case is on the slightly longish side, a pleasant and helpful stewardess had to open quite a number of compartments to find one with sufficient space to fit it.

So yep, if you’re travelling on the upper deck of an A380 – don’t count on there being loads of overhead cabin storage space. There isn’t.

Anyway the stewardess seemed pretty interested that I played the saxophone – and commented that people usually bring violins and guitars. We chatted for a while, which was nice – stark contrast to the monotone “welcome sir, welcome madams” echoing around the cabins. She later specially brought me copies of the local papers as she thought I missed home and would like to read the local papers, which was a nice touch.

The seat I chose was probably one of the best in the upper deck Y cabin. The legspace is unbelievable.

The minus point though is that people do try to cross aisles and as such always do tip toes around your legs. I got stepped on twice by a young kid who spent half the flight running around, and I wasn’t wearing shoes.

Another point to note is that if you have the choice between 80D and 80G, i’d go for 80D, because there seems to be much less human traffic on the port side of the aircraft. This is probably due to the fact the rear stairwell opens up onto the starboard aisle, which 80G flanks.

New KrisWorld

The less said about it the better I guess. The larger screens are great, but the choice of programmes were pathetic imho. I ended up watching a Top Gear race across London, which I have watched 3 times prior, and that was probably the only show that interested me. OK, The Bank Job wasn’t too bad either.

I’ll spend about 30 hours on board SQ Metal in August, I hope next month’s offerings are better.

The meals

I had a choice of Thai Chicken curry or Sweet and Sour fish for lunch. Had originally planned to take the beef, but it ran out by the time meal service reached me. Had the chicken curry instead, and it was really quite good. They gave a generous portion of chicken, although the serving of rice was pretty measly.

In between lunch and breakfast (due to the time difference, no dinner was served), the crew laid out a tray of crisps, chocolate bars and fruits in the galley to satiate hungry passengers. I don’t think it’s anything new though – previously the crew would walk around offering passengers drinks, now the passengers have to locate the galley and help themselves.

Breakfast though was an unqualified disaster. I chose the fried rice option, and the rice was both hard and tasteless. The char siew was rubbery and tasteless. It was probably the worst meal I’ve ever had on an airline, and I’ve had a few. I shovelled a few spoonfuls into my mouth as I was absolutely starving then, and left the rest.

To the crew’s credit though, the leading stewardess who collected my tray noticed that I didn’t touch much of the fried rice and asked if the rice wasn’t good. I pretty honestly told her that it was abysmal and she seemed genuinely apologetic and offered to cook me instant noodles.

The offer was tempting, but as we were going through quite bad turbulence then, I thought that most of the noodles would end up on the floor instead of my stomach. Or worse, end up on the floor via my stomach.
    Last edited by kelvgoh; 24 July 2008, 04:04 PM.

Back at Changi

Despite taking off 45 minutes later than scheduled, we arrived pretty much on time. Approach into Singapore was fairly turbulent and a few of the passengers were holding barf bags as we came in. I can’t remember when I last had such a turbulent approach into SIN but we touched down pretty alright.

Deplaned pretty quickly and proceeded to clear immigration, where I used the automated gantries. Popped by the DFS shop to get a bottle of Moet, but surprisingly, it was sold out, and would be sold out for a few weeks due to a “supply issue”. Not an expert on champagnes, so decided to get a Veuve Clicquot instead.

Popped down to collect my luggage, and it was already rolling around the carousel. It could be due to my luggage being tagged priority, but I hope it was more of T3 finally sorting out its luggage woes. In March, I had to wait about 15 minutes for my luggage to come out - I have never had to wait that long for luggage in Singapore.

Grabbed my luggage and went out to the taxi rank, where I headed home.

Final Thoughts

Being more or less an exclusive 744 flyer, I had hoped that the A380 would be a significant improvement over the Megatop. To be honest, it’s not particularly difficult to be better than the Megatop, especially since the product is approximately a decade old.

While the A380 represents an updating, I don’t feel it’s that significant an improvement. There just wasn’t a “wow” factor for me. While the larger IFE screen was great, the seat wasn’t as snug as the 744 one. I particularly found the non-cradling headrests uncomfortable for sleeping.

The toilets were alright, but the upper deck rear toilets were pretty uncomfortable to use, due to the vertical sloping of the fuselage. Answering the call of nature meant rubbing foreheads with the wall, and while I’m only about 1.8m tall, it was really uncomfortable. I can only imagine what it’ll be like for taller people.

Perhaps if I could sum it up in a couple of sentences: I hope SQ never takes for granted that new planes, new tech gadgets and snazzy marketing campaigns can ever replace the essence of flying SQ, making one feel genuinely welcome on board.

Strip away the gadgets and marketing, all you’re left with is the onboard services – and it indeed is two particular stewardesses I will remember from this trip. Didn’t get their names as I found trying to stare at an unknown lady’s chest (where their name tags are) rather rude, but they would be the only positives I would take out of this flight.

If this was my one and only trip on SQ, I would come out with the conclusion that SQ would only rank as “one of the few possibilities” when flying out of LHR, especially with the hefty ticket price. My friend flew out of LHR to SIN on SriLankan for 380 pounds all in, I paid closer to 900 pounds for the LHR-SIN M sector.

But it wasn’t my only SQ trip, and I’ve only ever flown SQ for all my 3+ hours flights for the past 7 years. Previously, I’ve always felt valued as a customer, and as such, I have always been pretty “loyal”. However, I don’t feel SQ continues to provide me with “that romantic feeling” anymore.

I’ve a few more flights on SQ yet before the turn of the year, and I certainly hope that somehow, SQ starts to regain the special feeling I’ve been talking about.

Obviously other airlines may not be as good as SQ, but I’ve never ever given them a try. But like how some married people would describe it as a “seven-year itch”, I’m starting to wonder how the rest of the field stacks up. I certainly hope SQ gives me no reason to try, and that the romance of travel isn’t flickering.

n/b : I’m sorry this has been a long and wordy TR, and if you’ve read till here you have my heartfelt thanks. I’m just typing out the thoughts as they come into my mind, and while I still “love” SQ, a report that said only nice things wouldn’t have been honest. So yep, my honest thoughts captured in about 2,300 words.
    Last edited by kelvgoh; 24 July 2008, 04:10 PM.

Comment

placeholder 2

Comment

placeholder 3

Comment

placeholder 4

Comment

placeholder 5

Comment

placeholder 6

Comment

Thanks for the report - it is good so far. Though from the title I was expecting a Qantas trip report (the flying 'roo).

Comment

Sorry to hear you go a little ill. At least you had great legroom

Comment

hello! sorry been MIA for a while.

I titled the thread as such cos I was doing the Kangaroo route - LHR-SIN-SYD and back. haha. Been having some difficulties with Red Tape so the SYD legs have been pushed back, but I will complete the TR anyhow.

Thanks SQFG - weather hasn't been great for me.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

A bit of a change from the usual glowing SQ reports.

I do think that the 380 Y product is definitely superior to the 747, especially on the upper deck with 2 persons travelling together.

The main problem with SQ (flights to SYD) is that their flights are usually packed, so no extra space!

Comment

Nice report!.

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                        Popped down to collect my luggage, and it was already rolling around the carousel. It could be due to my luggage being tagged priority, but I hope it was more of T3 finally sorting out its luggage woes. In March, I had to wait about 15 minutes for my luggage to come out - I have never had to wait that long for luggage in Singapore.
                        I couldn't help but smile at this bit. Describing a 15 minute wait as 'luggage woes' is an indication of how high Changi sets the bar. People at airports around the world would give their right arm for such efficiency.

Comment

Looking forward to your report.

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                          As the title suggests, I’ll be flying halfway round the world and back over the next 28 days or so.
                          Actually, your title might suggest a lot more than that...

Comment

thanks all for your notes - i'm ticketed for sydney next saturday, and returning to singapore on sunday (yes thanks to british red tape my original plans for a five day holiday has been reduced to a one night hop) and LHR wednesday week.

still deliberating whether i'm up to that much flying in 5 days, will see how. but yes I will complete the TR .

milehighj - if i'm thinking what you're thinking, the fact that i used the rather than a makes a world of difference

Comment

Waiting 15min for luggage is nothing. I once waited 40min for luggage at PEK when I flew CA, and the SQ flight that arrived 20min after mine got their luggage out first.

Comment

Working...
                              X