X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Majestic Hotel, Singapore

New Majestic Hotel
    Bukit Pasoh Rd - Chinatown area

I am so glad that I went "against all advice" to try the New Majestic. I would like to unequivocally declare tripadvisor totally wrong about this hotel, because not only is this hotel a gem of a design hotel - it is simply fun to stay at, has fantastic service and superbly located for nightlife!

Imperial China in the 21st century... my first impression as my taxi pulled up at the hotel. The lobby resembled an art exhibition, with the reception desk almost an afterthought. Some rather interesting statue in the lobby, but sorry no pics as I don't want my TR rendered R. Choice of music was pretty schizophrenic, ranging from techno to House to folk music (!). The bar was in a separate area unlike the W Living Rooms, rendering the lobby less atmospheric and lively which was a bit of a pity given the otherwise progressive design. A pity that there also wasn't the edgy Attitude that characterises some of my favourite design hotel lobbies - almost like they need a bit more flair in the DJing and choice of lighting. And bring on the W Talent Coaches! Or perhaps import some staff from the Dream Hotel NYC or W Union Square.

There appeared to only be 2-3 people staffing the front desk at any one time, and they performed every role - bell hop, concierge, reception etc. But all were no less welcoming, and were more than willing to launch into discussions about the design elements of the hotel. One of them then led me to my room and proceeded to explain all its features.

The lift

I'd booked a Premier Garden Room. Every room has a name - mine was the Oriental Girls Go West room.

It was a corner room, and relatively small but the available space was rather efficiently used. Not so sure about the graffiti art - thought it was a bit much. But otherwise loved the simple yet elegant and cool design. A mix of industrial chic and pan-Asian elements. Clever use of mirrors made the room appear bigger - and also convenient since I wouldn't have to run into the bathroom every time I wanted to check on my hair.

The room was well-equipped. Had an ipod dock which earned this hotel truckloads of brownie points (even though I'd forgotten to take my ipod with me after the stay... but no worries they're shipping it back to MEL for me!). Free wifi throughout the hotel, and you could even loan a Mac from the front desk at no charge. Mini bar well-stocked but unfortunately only the non-alcoholic drinks were complimentary.

Extremely comfy bed, with nice thick pillows. Duvet was adequate but could be a bit thicker - I'm always one of thick fluffy duvets regardless of climate! (with strong ac in tropical climates)

There was even turndown service which I certainly didn't expect. Nice chocs, and I was given another chocolate doughnut in addition to the one that was already sitting there when I entered the room.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 July 2008, 05:44 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

The Premier Garden Room had an outdoor bathtub in a private garden. Found the concept most interesting but I was too shy to take a bath there. The actual bathroom had v nice Kiehl's toiletries, I ensured that I "ran out" by the time turndown service came around. Great shower with powerful pressure. And yes plenty of hot water.

Service here was pretty good. Despite appearing to be understaffed, the staff worked with machine-like efficiency, and were most helpful and courteous.

The restaurant serves nice fusion cuisine, with a contemporary Cantonese base. The degustation menus looked most interesting but they all either had shellfish or shark's fin soup (latter of which I avoid on principle), so I went ala carte instead. Great selection of wines, had a v nice bottle of rioja. Breakfast is complimentary but only served till 10am - I'd managed to turn up at 9.40am to wolf something down. The selection was fairly limited but wholesome and tasty. Mainly buffet-style, and I was able to place an order for scrambled eggs.

The bar had a champagne promotion when I was there; can't remember the exact figure but they served champagne (Mumm's) at a discounted price. Had a rather smart-looking crowd, but I didn't stay for long as Neil Rd nightlife beckoned - all within a 5 minutes' stagger!

I'd definitely come back to this most unique boutique hotel on my next visit to Singapore, only minor quibble is the lack of loyalty program affiliation.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 July 2008, 06:01 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      ...W Living Rooms...W Talent Coaches...W Union Square.
      You just HAVE to get in your shameless plugs, don't you?
      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
        You just HAVE to get in your shameless plugs, don't you?
        They do set the benchmark. YMMV of course.

Comment

The decor looks a bit too cheena (Chinese) and cluttered for my taste.

What was the location like ? Noisy during the day ? I won't ask about the night as I imagine you didn't spend much time there.

The desk in your room looks tiny - I'd have problems using my laptop there for any length of time.

Good thick internal walls ?

(They have iPod cables in all of the rooms at the MO Singapore as well - very nice touch!)

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            What was the location like ? Noisy during the day ? I won't ask about the night as I imagine you didn't spend much time there.

Good thick internal walls ?
            As mentioned, only 5 mins to nightlife on Neil Rd. Lots of cafes, bars and restos within walking distance. There's a v nice German restaurant nearby. Also a cafe serving traditional Singaporean brekkies around the corner (half boiled eggs, kaya toast) - was tops. Rather run-down area (pre war shophouses) but the interiors have all been restored so nice and contemporary - an interesting contrast! Fairly quiet during the day. 15 mins taxi ride or so to shopping on Orchard, the bay area ought to be closer i think but not sure.

Walls were thick indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              ...I'd managed to turn up at 9.40am to wolf something down.
              Don't you mean you were able to stumble back to the hotel by 9:40am to get your morning snack before bedtime?
              HUGE AL

Comment

love the name of the room... maybe i will name my new home in taipei the "white boy gone east suite"

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                  love the name of the room... maybe i will name my new home in taipei the "white boy gone east suite"
                  What will the tariff be for this exclusive suite?

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                    What will the tariff be for this exclusive suite?
                    simply take off your shoes, wear a smile, and mi casa es su casa!

Comment

Reciprocal arrangements of course are true of hotel nickbot

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                        Reciprocal arrangements of course are true of hotel nickbot
                        I've heard the beverage selection is quite good there.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

The glassware selection too!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            The glassware selection too!
                            Grrr, you guys!

If it's cold, there's a selection of blankets too

Comment

The Chateau De Kyo welcomes all esteemed SQTalkers anytime...

Also 8 mins to Changi T3!

Comment

Working...
                              X