Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Wedding Trip

Preview

Yup, as the title suggests, the round-trip journey on Cathay Pacific Business Class was for my own wedding, held at the Ritz Carlton Hotel Bali on the 28th June 2008. As much as I would have liked to travel to DPS directly from HKG, the journey would have to be routed via SUB and CGK as I had an Engagement Party on the 25th June (before the Wedding, for my wife's family as she is from Surabaya), and my family's Dinner Reception on the 4th July (for my family as I am from Jakarta and coincidentally, USA's Independence Day to make the date unforgettable for both of us ). The Church Wedding and Dinner Party was sandwiched in between and it meant that we had 3 parties to prepare and attend to

The fact that each party was in different style made all of them special to us. The engagement party in Surabaya was a standing party buffet with all kinds of food (sushi, Chinese, local Indonesian, etc), with the guests mostly from my wife's side. The wedding reception in Bali was a 5-course Western style dinner, with 80 guests comprising our relatives and close friends. Finally, the dinner reception in Jakarta was a traditional Chinese style dinner, with 40 tables and lots of old folks (mostly my dad and grandma's friends and relatives).

As I had amassed quite a number of miles through the Citibank CX Platinum Preferred Card just before CX cancelled its partnership with Citibank, I decided to burn 50,000 miles for my own trip, with the routing of HKG-SUB, CGK-HKG. Since the flight from CGK would be on a Boeing 747-400, I had intended to make it a memorable flight back to HKG by burning another 30,000 miles for my wife and secured Upper-Deck seats for both of us. This would also meant a surprise gift and first experience (and it turned out to be to great one, albeit some drama happening, to be elaborated later on) on the UD for my wife!!

NEXT: HKG-SUB on CX "NRBC"
    Last edited by YK@HKG; 12 July 2008, 11:50 AM.

Congratulations, YK@HKG!!
    zxcvbn

Comment

HKG-SUB on the "New Regional Business Class"

The flight to SUB was on CX781, departing HKG 15:55pm on 21 June 2008. It was a routine flight on either the Boeing 773 or Airbus 330 that I had taken so many times in the past 18 mths. This time round, it would be on the 773 and I expected the old configuration with the Regional Business Class seat.

As usual, the allocated boarding gate (Gate 63) would be near the Pier, which was good for me since I didn't have to walk far. The timing would also be perfect as I usually got into the lounge around 14:30pm for a late lunch (large bowl of Dan Dan Noodle) and a customary sip or two of Champagne or Gin Tonic. Boarding time was at 15:30pm and the flight was again full at the back. Several pax got upgraded to C.

The first pleasant surprise which greeted me when I entered the plane....this one had the NRBC (New Regional Business Class) seat Since I had never been onboard the J Cabin with NRBC configuration, I quickly got hold of my camera as soon as I settled into my seat at 16C and started to snap a few pics of the cabin and seat. The layout of the cabin was 2-3-2, and there was a smaller cabin at the back which give a more private feel. On that day, it was occupied by a Korean family, with the parents and 3 kids.

The cabin:

The NRBC seat:

Me on the NRBC seat:

Now, pics of the "Old" cabin and seat:

Last edited by YK@HKG; 11 July 2008, 02:08 AM.

Comment

The cabin was certainly newer and more modern, when compared with the "Old" Regional Business Class. The seat controls were fancier with more things to play around with and easier control of the seat and foot-rest. The leg-room was very spacious and the seat was definitely comfortable either in upright or in full-recline position. However, I felt that the seat was perhaps slightly narrower than the old one??

The controls:

The foot-rest:

Leg-room:

Seat-back cover:

Seat in full-recline mode:

Pre-departure drink was offered as I finished my photo-taking session and I started with a glass of Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne. There was a bit of drama going on with an Indonesian family seated in front of me. 4 of them were supposedly travelling together. However, the Dad (MPO member) and one son got upgraded to Business, while the Mom and another younger son had to settle for Economy. The Dad argued with the Senior Purser on why his wife (also MPO member) did not get upgraded when he observed that some other pax (non MPO member) got upgraded to Business Class that day. He was definitely arguing for his case with the Senior Purser very loudly until I could hear most of the conversation At the end, his wife and another son still had to sit at the back....hmm....

Soon enough, the plane started to make its way along the runway and took off about 15 mins behind the schedule. I was also lucky since the window seat was empty! Hong Kong and Southern China were plagued by non-stop thunderstorms last mth (and this mth too!!). However, the weather at that time was perfect and I took a few pics while the plane was just hovering around Hong Kong.

Scenic pics:

Last edited by YK@HKG; 11 July 2008, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Once the "fasten seat-belt" sign was turned off, the flight rituals began. It started with the offering of the hot-towel, followed by warm nuts and drinks. and then dinner service. As with the planes with Regional configuration, there would be no AVOD. I watched "Definitely, Maybe" that day, which was a touching comedy about a dad trying to relive his romantic encounters to his daughter.

I usually didn't finish the main-course when I was on-board CX J several times this year. The quality of food was certainly declining and inferior compared to SQ J or CX J that I had last year, to the extent that I felt the food in Y was a tad better than J, since I usually finish the food when I was in Y

However, this time round, the food was pretty good and the prawn rice I chose fit my taste bud. I remembered that I also had this one served on the same HKG-SUB flight last September. I even asked for another serving on that day While having the main course, I downed another glass of champagne and one glass of red-wine (Peter Lehman Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon 2005). I also had some cheese and fruits to round off the dinner. This time round, I would rate the meal at 8 out of 10.

After the movie finished, I decided to switch on my Bose QC3, linked to my Ipod and read a novel for the remainder of the flight. The time passed pretty quickly as we started our descent and arrived at Juanda International Airport 20 mins ahead of schedule! My bags were also among the first few to appear on the carousel. Soon enough, I made my way out of the airport. To round up, it was another good flight on CX J, with the added surprise of having a new seat that I had never been on!

NEXT: Introducing.....Spoonie, Poopsee, Sherrie & Eaton
          Last edited by YK@HKG; 12 July 2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Hong Kong-Surabaya DINNER MENU

Starters
            Dill salmon with artichoke and semi sun-dried tomato

Seasonal mixed salad with parmesan cheese and pinenuts served with lemon myrtile dressing

Main Courses
            Lamb chops with leeks in gravy
            steamed rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Steamed chicken breast with tomato basil sauce
            parsley potatoes
            grilled capsicum, green peas, and olivers

Prawns in tumeric sauce
            coconut rice with shallot and kaffir leaves
            stir-fried mixed vegetables

Cheese and Dessert
            Cheese selection

Fresh seasonal fruit

Haagen-Dazs Ice cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Drink List
            Juices
            orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks
            Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water
            tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coke Zero is now available on selected flights

Coffees
            freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffee latte
            regular or decaffeinated

Teas
            Hong Kong style milk tea
            Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
            organic selection: camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate
            Last edited by YK@HKG; 11 July 2008, 12:04 PM.

Comment

WINE LIST

Champagne
              Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne

White wines
              Domaine de La Baume Viognier 2006

Moon Mountain Chardonnay 2007

Red wines
              Peter Lehman Barossa Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Vieux Chateau Landon Bru Bourgeois 2004

Port
              Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2003

Aperitifs and Cocktails
              Gin. Rum. Vodka. Martini Rosso. Martini Extra Dry. Campari. Sweet and Dry Sherry. Bloody Mary. Screwdriver

Whiskies
              Chivas Regal 12 Years Old. Johnnie Walker Gold Label. Jack Daniel's. Canadian Club

Cognac
              Hine's Rare and Delicate' Fine Champagne

Liqueurs
              Drambuie. Cointreau. Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer
              International selection

CX Signature Drinks
              Cathay Delight
              A kiwifruit based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint.

Pacific Sunrise
              A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon

Comment

Congrats YK!

Comment

Congratulations YK@HKG! May you and your wife have a blessed marriage!

Comment

Congratulations, YK@HKG! It must have been tough to organise 3 parties!

Comment

Heartiest congratulations! Thanks for sharing that with us

Comment

Congrats YK@HKG!
                        Great TR.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Congratulations on your wedding indeed! Great TR as well. All the best for you and your family...

Comment

Thanks to all for the wishes
                            More pics and reports to come.

Comment

Congratulations on your wedding.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X