X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood properties in Taiwan

Sheraton Taipei, #2, #7-8
    Westin Taipei, #4
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 10 July 2008, 08:33 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Sheraton Taipei
    Chung Hsiao East Rd

I'd initially meant to bunk in at taipeiflyer's place but unfortunately construction had proceeded slower than expected and when it became clear that his place wouldn't be ready in time, we decided to 'slum' it at hotels. Booked Sheraton for the first night.

The Sheraton has a rather central location, there's an MTR station just outside. There is another hotel in Taipei with a similar sounding name in Mandarin to the Sheraton, and on 2 separate occasions the taxi driver had driven us to the wrong one which was thankfully only 2 blocks away from the Sheraton. So best to have the Chinese address of the hotel handy.

The hotel was booked in taipeiflyer's name. However it quickly became clear that his PLT status isn't properly reflected in the reservation when no mention of PLT amenities was made. Now this serves as a reminder of why it is still useful to carry around the PLT membership card - it is not a DYKWIA thing to do, just practical and sensible. When we'd turned back to ask about the PLT amenity, the check in clerk seemed rather confused and insisted that she could only see a GLD membership number in the system. She then logged on to some other system of theirs, probably a direct intranet link with SPG and verified the PLT membership. We were then quickly upgraded to a Junior Suite, and given a choice of amenities - I was mildly horrified that he'd went for the wine instead of the 500 pts. The bourgogne was nice though - so thanks mate!

I liked the service at this hotel - everyone was v helpful and polite without being too overbearing. There was a rather elderly bellhop on the arvo we left who insisted on single handedly carrying even the heaviest suitcase, and still had the energy for banter.

The Junior Suite was well sized for 2 people, with a pretty spacious lounge area. The bathroom was identical to those of the Westin Bund Centre Shanghai's, same designer perhaps? The bathroom was stocked with L'occitane amenities.

Complimentary breakfast was served at the lounge in the morning - it was an extensive spread with both hot and cold options. It even had an egg station where eggs are cooked upon request, any way.

Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 July 2008, 03:39 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Had 2 stays for 1 nite each 2 mths ago at the same hotel. I was also upgraded to a Junior Suite on both occassions. A wonderful stay at the Hotel with very convenient location and MTR station just within walking distance.

I didn't have the chance to try the breakfast at the Lounge because of work for the first stay and then had to rush off to the Airport just after the European Champions League Final match between Man Utd and Chelsea on the second stay.

Comment

The Westin Taipei
        Nanking East Rd

There were no porters to assist us with our suitcases at the entrance unlike the Sheraton where our bags were whisked away before we had a chance to blink, but that's ok as we managed fine. Lobby looked nice and cozy, and they were serving some extremely sweet fruit-based drinks near the lifts.

Check in was swift, and we got upgraded to an extremely large suite on the top floor at this property, so we're rather pleased. This time taipeiflyer went for free internet as his PLT amenity. Heavenly Bed nice and comfy, with phenomenally big pillows - we'd thought about purchasing them. Bathroom had Molton Brown amenities, including my personal fave out of the MB range - the Heavenly Gingerlily shower gel.

(sorry, forgot about the actual bedroom...)

Like at the Sheraton, we also had comp brekkies with hot/cold stuff at the lounge at this property - though I can't really remember what was served as I was pretty hungover (or still drunk) on the morning I actually made it downstairs for brekkies. I do remember that there was also an egg station.

The hallways were rather toasty on the top floor, must be due to the combination of weak a/c and Taipei's oppressive heat. I must say that the Westin's (seemingly) smaller size than the Sheraton meant the hotel felt more warm (ok i also mean that figuratively) and homely.

Location felt just as central as the Sheraton - though I must admit that having someone to guide me meant that I'd lost some sense of direction. It was near an extremely good Taiwanese beef noodle place which opens nearly all night, as well as this very fun pub which we went to called Brass Monkeys. More on that later...

Overall I enjoyed both the Sheraton and the Westin, but would give the Westin a slight edge.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          I'd initially meant to bunk in at taipeiflyer's place but unfortunately construction had proceeded slower than expected and when it became clear that his place wouldn't be ready in time, we decided to 'slum' it at hotels.
          Oh, it did happen? Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            Oh, it did happen? Good for you!
            This v shy, naive and innocent person isn't v good at reading between the lines...

Comment

Here's more pictures on the room and exterior of Sheraton Taipei. Room-wise, I thought it was one of the best business hotels I have stayed in this year. Had an enjoyable sleep on the first stay, but, didn't even sleep on the second stay because of the ECL Final.

King-size bed:

Sofa and TV:

L'occitane bath amenities:

Spacious bath-tub:

Last edited by YK@HKG; 10 July 2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

The exterior:

Views taken from my floor:

Comment

This v shy, naive and innocent person isn't v good at reading between the lines...
                  amazing what you learn from urbandictionary

Comment

The Westin Taipei
                    [...]
                    Check in was swift, and we got upgraded to an extremely large suite on the top floor at this property, so we're rather pleased. This time taipeiflyer went for free internet as his PLT amenity. Heavenly Bed nice and comfy, with phenomenally big pillows - we'd thought about purchasing them.
                    I was upgraded to a suite as well and appreciated the two cans of (Asahi IIRC) beer and two pineapple cakes as welcome gifts.

The bed - with the huge pillows and duvet etc - was the most comfortable I've ever slept in I think! Surrounded by pillows and sunk into the mattress with the duvet etc on top, it was like sleeping in a soft warm coccoon.

Like at the Sheraton, we also had comp brekkies with hot/cold stuff at the lounge at this property - though I can't really remember what was served as I was pretty hungover (or still drunk) on the morning I actually made it downstairs for brekkies. I do remember that there was also an egg station.
                    The lounge breakfast was one of the better ones. An egg station which also carved slices from a hot ham. A wide variety of hot brekkie items like stuffed duck etc. A bright and spacious lounge.

Comment

Working...
                    X