Flight: SQ232
    Aircraft: B747-400
    ETD: 1130
    ATD: 1120
    ETA: 1745
    ATA: 1720
    Flight Time: 8 hrs
    Seat: 11A (Business)

After a short break in Melbourne, it was time to go back to Singapore for a slightly longer break to get away from the cold and soak up the sun and humidity. Left my apartment at 0840 and was the airport by 0900. I simply love weekend morning traffic. The roads are so empty! The check-in counters were still rather empty and the business class counters were also serving the few groups of economy passengers and so I was ushered to the first class counter. The usual security questions and my boarding pass was issued. Picked up 4 dozen doughnuts (I have no idea why most Singaporeans love them so much it’s nothing special just loads of sugar!) and made my way through the fast track lane. Everyone (Immigration/Customs/TRS) seemed to want a doughnut! Settled my TRS (Tourist Refund Scheme) for my Wii and made my way to the SKL lounge for a shower and my morning dose of caffeine.

Nothing fancy but a shower is always good before a flight.

Caffeine is good for you!

Call for boarding was made at 1100. Made my way to the priority line at gate 57 (Same gate as A380) which had no queue and was onboard in 2 minutes. Pre-takeoff drinks were served. Only Piper Heidsieck was offered in J, no Dom or Krug.

Fizzy Bubbly

Useful storage compartments on the upper deck of the 744.

Boarding was done by 1115 and we pushed back slightly early. A very slow taxi to 34L allowed some spotting. Saw Whalejet 9V-SKD undergoing some maintenance.

QF 747 after landing on 34L

View of 34L from holding point

After take off, more top ups of fizzy bubbly before lunch was served.

lunch menu

A Savoury Note
    Marinated salmon with feta, tomato and cucumber salad
    Choice of balsamic or bush tomato dressing

The Main Event
    *Roasted chicken breast, borderlaise sauce, bacon, sauteed spinach, linguine

Wok fried beef in black peppercorn sauce served with braised beancurd and vegetables, fried rice

Grilled kingfish served with roasted tomato coulis, buttered broccolini and steamed gourmet potato

Lamb shank korma served with mushroom and peas masala and briyani rice

A Sweet Note
    Baked cheese cake

The Cheese Board
    Gourmet cheese with garnishes

Fruit
    A selection of fresh fruit

A Connoisseur's Choice
    Gourmet coffee
    Selection of tea
    and pralines

refreshment menu

To Nibble On...
    Thai style fried rice with pineapple, chicken and prawns

Penne with arrabiata sauce, roasted eggplant, wilted arugula, shaved parmesan cheese

A Connoisseur's Choice
    Gourmet coffee
    Selection of tea
    and pralines

*Exclusively created by Matthew Moran of Aria Restaurant, Sydney
    SQ232A SYD-SIN (L/HR) 28-1.1 07 RC
    Marinated salmon with feta, tomato and cucumber salad

Had the Lamb shank korma served with mushroom and peas masala and briyani rice for my mains.

Had a good and fruitful nap after lunch and woke up just as the aircraft started it’s decent into Changi.

Over Batam

Touched down on 20R and we parked next to other 744s at gate A16 in T3. Immigration was fast with the biometric scanners and I was at landside 20 minutes after touch down.

Stay tuned for Part II plus SIN-BKK-SIN-KUL-SIN.

Service: 9/10 Food: 8/10 Aircraft: 9/10
    Last edited by Nick C; 24 July 2008, 07:48 PM.

Enjoyed this report! Been ages since I was on SQ232.. sigh

Comment

I have no idea why most Singaporeans love them so much it’s nothing special just loads of sugar!
      Do we have the same friend? I had to bring back a dozen Krispy Kremes from New York for a friend in Singapore.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Do we have the same friend? I had to bring back a dozen Krispy Kremes from New York for a friend in Singapore.
        And to think you can get them in Jakarta??? + the good local J'Co varieties as well (which I think taste better as they are not as sweet)

That must be the longest any doughnut would spend flying. What a lucky doughnut!

It is a great report Nick C. I was just on a 232 last month after a very long break on it. Most of the time, it is 220 for me going to Asia and 221 or 231 back from Asia.

Comment

[QUOTE=UMD;62171]And to think you can get them in Jakarta??? + the good local J'Co varieties as well (which I think taste better as they are not as sweet) QUOTE]

Ah....you beat me to it! I agree, J'Co has the best doughnuts, better than Krispy Kreme and of course much better than Dunkin. Not too sweet, not too heavy....just nice

Nice report NIck C! The Whalejet may be the big hit right now but the allure of the Megatop will never die.
          Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Enjoyed this report! Been ages since I was on SQ232.. sigh
            Make a trip to SYD and you can fly SQ232

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
            You never know My friends were already placing orders for my next trip back in Sept during dinner just now.

Originally posted by UMD View Post
            And to think you can get them in Jakarta??? + the good local J'Co varieties as well (which I think taste better as they are not as sweet)

That must be the longest any doughnut would spend flying. What a lucky doughnut!

It is a great report Nick C. I was just on a 232 last month after a very long break on it. Most of the time, it is 220 for me going to Asia and 221 or 231 back from Asia.
            I prefer flying SQ232 if my schedule allows it. Allows ample time to get to the airport after the morning rush hour and arrives in time for dinner. SQ220 allows a nice connection to the European flights but it's too late for dinner but too early for supper

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
            Nice report NIck C! The Whalejet may be the big hit right now but the allure of the Megatop will never die.
            The Whalejet is a nice plane. We can't deny the fact but the 747 has been SQ's workhorse since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post

SQ220 allows a nice connection to the European flights but it's too late for dinner but too early for supper
              I think you mean SQ222 unless your dinner is at 1pm. I prefer SQ220 out because it does offer the best connection to anywhere in Asia.

Comment

Make a trip to SYD and you can fly SQ232

Yes, I hear that's the only way to get on SQ232......

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                  I think you mean SQ222 unless your dinner is at 1pm. I prefer SQ220 out because it does offer the best connection to anywhere in Asia.
                  Yeah! I meant 222

Yes, I hear that's the only way to get on SQ232......
                  Does the thought of lots of Krispy Kremes tempt you?

Comment

Does the thought of lots of Krispy Kremes tempt you?
                    Nope. I'm overcaloried. I need to go dispose of some of them now. Problem is they've converted to Fat...

Comment

Nope. I'm overcaloried. I need to go dispose of some of them now. Problem is they've converted to Fat...
                      Just mark it for 2009's NY resolution Enjoy 2008!

I saw in the other thread that you spent NYE in SYD watching the fireworks. How was it? Might be spending NYE in SYD this year. NYE in SIN is boring. It's just the usual clubbing and pubbing.

Comment

I saw in the other thread that you spent NYE in SYD watching the fireworks. How was it?
                        http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...w+year%27s+eve

Great fun

Comment

I flew SQ231/2 last Dec, flying the 744 for the first time and my first SQ flight after 6 years...was a great flight!

Comment

Somebody else likes Krispy Kremes!

http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/New...722-78013.html

Comment

Working...
                            X