Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend in SIN: Which hotel would you pick if price/location wouldn't matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend in SIN: Which hotel would you pick if price/location wouldn't matter?

I'll head down to Singapore next weekend with the g'friend and I'm looking for a special hotel to celebrate the occasion. Budget is very generous at SGD 700 per night max which leaves us the choice of virtually every hotel except the Raffles... I really have trouble to pick a place given the huge number of hotels available...

As a returning guest I've always had outstanding service at the Shangri-La Valley Wing but the rooms are a bit overpriced at SGD 690. Alternatively I was considering the Stamford Crest Suites at the Swissotel on the 64th-66th floors... they must have spectacular views but are rather pricey at SGD 700 given that the hotel is "only" 4 -star. Are the Crest suites worth the money? How about service at the Swissotel? How about the pool? Would appreciate any feedback of people who have actually stayed there...

Have been at the Ritz-Carlton before but found the service extremely indifferent and the rooms slightly worn out... St. Regis chain does not really appeal to me... but then, Singapore might change my opinion about it as everybody seems to love the hotel...

In brief, what would be your first choice for a romantic weekend with the g'friend/wife if location and price would not matter?

Originally posted by SQOZflyer View Post
    St. Regis chain does not really appeal to me... but then, Singapore might change my opinion about it as everybody seems to love the hotel...
    Not quite - http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3160

In brief, what would be your first choice for a romantic weekend with the g'friend/wife if location and price would not matter?
    I've only stayed in the S-L VW and St R which you've covered above and the MO (which I wouldn't go to for a romantic weekend) so can't help. However, just an idea (but I could be totally wrong) - perhaps have a look to see what are the hotels like on Sentosa, e.g. S-L's Rasa Sentosa ? Are they slightly more quiet/secluded than hotels in town ?

Comment

How about shangri la at sentosa....
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Are you taking both ?.

The Swissotel is good and as you rightly say the views are fabulous. If it was still a Westin I'd be there all the time. It's not a 5 star though (I don't think ?) so maybe not up to what you are looking for. Pool is nothing special.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        How about shangri la at sentosa....
        Well it's 7 years since I stayed there so it's probably had a refurb since then but it was a bit tired then and I wouldn't stay there for what seems like a money no object weekend. There is the Amara Sanctuary on Sentosa now (www.amarasanctuary.com), which is supposed to be nice.

I would consider the St Regis. When I stayed there the staff were thankfully not a manic as they were when it first opened when they were a little overpowering.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          Are you taking both ?.

Well it's 7 years since I stayed there so it's probably had a refurb since then but it was a bit tired then and I wouldn't stay there for what seems like a money no object weekend. There is the Amara Sanctuary on Sentosa now (www.amarasanctuary.com), which is supposed to be nice.

I would consider the St Regis. When I stayed there the staff were thankfully not a manic as they were when it first opened when they were a little overpowering.

I ahev not stay very much in any hotels in Singapore!!!!!!!... I have enough resort facilities at my home, so no need for hotels locally...

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I would recommend "The Sentosa" to spend the weekend, a spa at Spa Botanica followed by dinner at "The Cliff" all within the compounds of "The Sentosa". PPS memebers get a free glass of champagne at the cliff.

I was at Shangri-la sentosa's Presidential suite and was not blown away.

Comment

Are you taking both ?.

Not rich enough to afford both yet, especially with the recently increased fuel surcharges

Yeah, I hear Sentosa Shangri-La is still nothing special at all... probably more a family/tourist resort... As you pointed out, I'm looking for something a bit more "upmarket" this time... will definitely have a look at the Amara Sanctuary... Thanks for the tip

@ anyone: How about Fullerton? On a par with Valley Wing/ St. Regis?

Comment

For romantic gateway, I would not go to Singapore. Bali sounds so much better. Don't you think so, all girlfriends here?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  For romantic gateway, I would not go to Singapore. Bali sounds so much better. Don't you think so, all girlfriends here?
                  mhh I guess Singapore offers so much more choice than Bali when it comes to shopping... shopping with money that comes from the b'friends pocket

Comment

HKG then ? A much better range of luxury hotels than SIN IMO and plenty of shopping too!

Comment

So, it is not a romantic getaway weekend, but a shopping weekend trip.

Not too sure whether Singapore is a competitive place to go sopping anymore. When I was there recently, we went for a very short window shopping. The prices were similar to the ones I had see in Zurich, or even higher.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        Not too sure whether Singapore is a competitive place to go sopping anymore. When I was there recently, we went for a very short window shopping. The prices were similar to the ones I had see in Zurich, or even higher.
                        Very true but SIN seems still like heaven when I think of the outrageous prices here in Seoul...... though it got much better than last year... the low dollar making the Won cheaper as well...

Comment

I recommend the Conrad with executive floor access. They serve alcohol all day and it's very relaxing there, esp. after your shopping excursions.

You can walk to Singapore Flyer. Taking the DHL Balloon can be romantic too. Walk around the Fountain of Fortune.

Comment

I think with a budget of $700, you might get a suite at the Naumi.

www.naumihotel.com

Comment

Crown Plaza Changi, you can then provide us with a review

But seriously, I echo milehighj's recommendation

Comment

Working...
                              X