Fly to South America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly to South America?

I've got an upcoming trip to South America (EZE), which includes a EZE-GIG return part.

Departing ICN, do you think it is best if I do it:
    (a) eastwards: ICN-SFO on SQ, then VS to IAD for a night's stopover, then UA to EZE, or
    (b) westwards: ICN-europe on SQ, a couple of nights stopover then LH to EZE?

I remember a thread where SQFG suggested the route via Europe, then LX to South America.

I suspect option (a) will probably come out cheaper, while option (b) is better wrt the jet-lag and I also get the chance to see the family in Europe for a couple of nights.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

And which airline is recommended for the EZE-GIG part?

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
    And which airline is recommended for the EZE-GIG part?
    When are you there?

I was just booking a similar trip for myself and a friend for Dec. We were recommended JJ (TAM) quality wise. They seem to have some keen pricing in C. We're paying USD609 all in each for GRU-GIG whY (only one cabin) + GIG-EZE C. Pics of their cabin look as nice, if not nicer than QF domestic so that's fantastic value (half the price of what I'd pay here for a similar itinerary).

Pricing up some random dates in Dec:
    EZE-GIG on JJ in business is USD536 one way all in, books into J, x2 for return.
    Economy can be had for USD494 return all in, books into K.

RG or AR can be had for about USD100 less in whY, booking into T.

FFP wise I was pleasantly surprised to discover that JJ flights can be accrued to LH.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 20 June 2008, 01:28 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Option B seems much easier. You have one layover and remain on *A the entire route.

BTW, you did mean VX instead of VS in Option A, correct?
      HUGE AL

Comment

Given VX reliability and issues of multiple tickets I'd go with (b), or perhaps fly AC to south america (take SQ to YVR) instead?

BTW who else is in South America in December? Wonder if our paths cross anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
          Given VX reliability and issues of multiple tickets...
          HUGE AL

Comment

I am guessing that SQ-VX-UA will not be on a single ticket.

VX as a small new airline doesn't have the best reliability, and if they cancel the last flight to IAD and you are on separate tickets then a misconnect to UA will be a messy and costly mistake to make.

Comment

Originally posted by N_Architect View Post

I suspect option (a) will probably come out cheaper, while option (b) is better wrt the jet-lag and I also get the chance to see the family in Europe for a couple of nights.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
              Either way it's going to be extremely disorienting unless you break it up as you say for a few nights. I remember going to this quaint town Santa Cruz do Sul in Rio Grande do Sul via a multitude of ways and no matter how I went - always always ended up arriving in the hotel and having no idea where i was, or what day or time it was. Surreal actually. Door to door was typically 45-50 hours :o

Comment

Thanks, all, for your responses.

Trip is for May '09.

Yes, I meant VX (Virgin America, right?).

And yes, either way will be disorienting, and breaking it up will help a bit.

A month ago when I flew to RDU (North Carolina) from ICN, I suffered from jetlag for about a fortnight while in the U.S. (and despite the fact that I had already made a 4-day stopover in SFO and a night in Washington DC).

Plan is to fly SQ J on either way (west or east), then take LH C/F (if go west) or CO, UA, DL C/F if go east. AC is an option I hadn't thought.

Price tag gets pretty high in any way, so let's see what else I can do.

My travel agent (in Greece) told me there's a DL published fare for ICN-EZE (with a stop in JFK or EWR if I'm not wrong), but I want to fly SQ...

Comment

I am guessing that SQ-VX-UA will not be on a single ticket.
                  OK, THAT I understand.

VX as a small new airline doesn't have the best reliability...
                  But this comment...hmmm...can you tell us your source? I fly them almost weekly and have no idea what you're referring to... I understand the "...last flight..." comment, just not quite understanding your "...doesn't have the best reliability..." thing...
                  HUGE AL

Comment

I would recommend B as well. Best to avoid the US for transits.

Absolutely agree with SQFG that breaking it up is best. I did SIN-FCO-ZRH-GRU all in one go and it was exhausting by the time I arrived in GRU.

I flew JJ domestic and highly recommend it. Nice cabin crew uniform

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      I did SIN-FCO-ZRH-GRU all in one go and it was exhausting by the time I arrived in GRU.
                      I remember that you were in C at that time. Should not be bad since for couple years, I have done SIN-LHR-FRA-YVR or SIN-FRA-SFO-YVR in one go in C-class as well.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        I did SIN-FCO-ZRH-GRU
                        I did KUL-SIN-ZRH-MAN-LHR-GRU-POA + 3 hour car drive once Wasn't exhausted. just zomb'ed out

Comment

But I don't quite travel like you

Comment

Working...
                          X